select foam

Hi pressurepts,

[quote]Again, a week and two days after i’m told it “shipped” it hadn’t even been poured! Now i’m told “it’ll ship tomorrow”. Baloney- i have no reason to believe this.

Should I just try to get my money back and mail the damn thing back?

this is the worst customer experience I’ve ever had.[/quote]

While you are the only one that can decide what you “should do” … my comments here and here about giving them a fixed deadline may be helpful and I would let them know that if they aren’t able to confirm (with a shipping confirmation) that they have shipped your topper within 48 hours (or whatever the length of time that you consider to be reasonable) that you will be initiating a return (or a chargeback if necessary).

NOTE ADDED: Because of their ongoing customer service issues and delays their membership has now been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

Phoenix

We got the Cirrus Luxe and love it. It took 3 weeks from ordering to receive it. It feels firmer than the Tempur cloud luxe but since that is such a soft bed, I think it is fine if it doesn’t soften. We’ve had ours for 9 night and LOVE IT. Communication was awkward about shipping. I didnt’ know when to expect the mattress so I had to call, but I swear I had 6 or 7 messages from Chris on my one or two calls I made…

I went to several mattress stores before ordering and tried out the Tempurpedic mattresses. There were so many that were too firm for me. I knew I would be sore. The Cloud Luxe was the only one that felt supportive and soft enough to be comfortable. Did you go and try any mattresses in person? I tried the Rhapsody in the store and thought it was painfully firm. I couldn’t get off of it fast enough. One thing both myself and the salesman noticed when I was on that mattress was that my chest was really sticking up on the firmer mattresses, y shoulders were setting on top of the mattress and it put my whole back out of alignment. He said it is amazing how mattresses conform to different bodies. My shoulders and alignment were so perfect on the cloud luxe. It was night and day. I hope you get your topper. My hunch is you really do want softer top layer. I know I did. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I have been dealing with this “company” since September 9th when I in good faith placed an order for a mattress, foundation and two pillows. The website stated that my order would be shipped within three days of receiving payment, Needless to say that didn’t happen, the mattress finally arrived on October 6th as a result of daily phone calls I’m sure. Please note the foundation did not arrive nor did the pillows. Two weeks later we finally received the foundation, again, due to my daily calls I’m sure. The pillows have yet to show up, we did receive one from another company that was not even close to the description of the one we ordered and paid for with Select Foam. After speaking with the “owner” Matt he informed me that the pillows we ordered were on permanent back order, this after I had been told they had been shipped on numerous occasions. He also stated that if we weren’t satisfied with the pillow to let him know before he shipped the second one. I informed him that we weren’t satisfied and that it was too firm for our taste. I then informed him that I would like the money we paid for the pillows refunded so we could just be done with this nightmare. As of today Matt states that the pillow that he took upon himself to mail us can not be returned and he would work on getting us a refund for the one pillow that is still missing in action… I let Matt know that because we didn’t order this pillow and that he took it upon himself that I would like a refund for both pillows and asked him to please provide a shipping label for the unwanted pillow to be shipped back. Let me just say the quality of the mattress is excellent, however the so called customer service provided by this company is a joke at best. I’ve called and spoken to the “owners” or another “representative” almost daily. I have been lied to almost daily. I was told the mattress, foundation, and the pillows had been shipped when in truth they had not been. The excuses have ranged from having a lot of rain in Florida which causes humidity and they don’t have climate control in the manufacturing facilities to the manufacturer of the cooling gel had shipped unacceptable materials. We were also told that there is no system in place to track an order within the company until the order has shipped. I have been told that the pillows had shipped and to call back the next day for the tracking number only to be told they were on permanent back order and that they had been for months. I understand issues can arise for businesses and I would be more understanding if they had just been honest from the start, but if Select Foams policy is to lie to customers instead of just being honest, may I suggest that they have a staff meeting in the mornings to get their daily lie straight. It is extremely frustrating to be told two totally different stories on the same day. As previously stated the mattress is excellent quality but at this point I would not recommend this company. I would greatly appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide.

In hindsight I do wish I would have gotten the cirrus luxe. I did try them in the store and I liked the softer temperpedics. They just talked me out of it at the last minute after I said I had low back issues in the past.

I’m told the topper shipped. I have a tracking number. Will keep posted.

And yes I totally agreed about the stories.i would much rather appreciate an honest answer from the start. I feel like you actually have to get mad or call them like ten times to get anywhere. Total chaos. Or strategic protocol to break you. Not sure which one.

I had some of the communication things going on with my order. I had them hold the order one week as we were leaving town and expected it to be delivered when we returned. No shipping confirmation so I called and was being ignored. Finally I spoke to Chris who told me that it was delayed because of rain in Florida. He must have called me back 4 or 5 times and left messages. And I pushed hard for a shipping confirmation, which I did get and the mattress arrived 3 weeks after ordering. There was no paperwork and the mattress came from a foam company in Indiana. The cover is not shown anywhere on any of their beds on the website. I’ve been told it is the upgraded mattress cover that will be on their website soon. I can’t compare it to what is shown because I’ve never seen the original… The mattress is wonderful wonderful wonderful. I think they “wing it” a lot, maybe don’t have a lot of production deadline control and they don’t explain that in the ordering process. We paid 1800 for this king size mattress. It is a great mattress. I hope it stands the test of time because I don’t know if they would return my call if I wanted to return it. I think everyone should know what their mattress preferences are and that a too firm mattress can cause a lot of pain. I do think these mattresses with excellent support layers can be softer as the underlying support layer is what does the work. (I’m no expert) I also think they are firmer than the Tempur mattresses in the stores. Love my Cirrus Luxe. It is great. I haven’t felt this good in years. It has really improved my shoulder, neck and low back pain. They need to get their act together. They could have a great business. Customer service is important and just having a top quality product isn’t enough. Buyers want to know what and when they are getting what they paid for.

Hi cabledade,

Thanks for taking the time to share some of your somewhat unfortunate experiences with Select Foam as well. As you can see in the rest of this topic and in the caution in post #4 here that is linked to their descriptions in the online lists … you certainly aren’t alone.

I completely agree with your comments here and if I was in your shoes and didn’t receive the pillow I ordered I would insist on a refund for your pillow as well and I don’t know of any legitimate reason that they wouldn’t provide it.

While they certainly sell some high quality/value mattresses … I also agree that their unacceptable after sale service and delays have taken a heavy toll on their reputation and they could (and should) be so much better than they are.

I talked to them not long ago about their membership here (see posts #4 and #6 here) and I also plan to call them this week to once again share my concerns and make sure they are aware of any outstanding issues that have been posted on the forum but unless they can provide a compelling reason why not, I plan to end their membership here by the end of this week because they just don’t appear to be committed to improving and finding a way to resolve their pattern of too many recurring customer service issues.

NOTE ADDED: Because of their ongoing customer service issues and delays their membership has now been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Can you give them a little bit longer as a member, like a few more months? I just don’t want them to retaliate against customers and not be able to do a return. I know that’s super lame but… It’s been such a long drawn out process.

Hi pressurepts,

My final decision hasn’t been made yet but there is never a good time to make these types of decisions and if I do decide to wait for a few months to end their membership then there may be even more customers that have ordered from them as well and are experiencing similar issues.

I don’t have any reason to believe that they will “retaliate” but of course if they do it would become public knowledge and generate even more comments on the forum here which would affect a larger percentage of their business that aren’t members here and they were already well aware after our last conversation that they were “on the edge” of losing their membership here.

Phoenix

I hope you can bring them along. Perhaps you can have a “time out” on keeping their membership. Give them 30 days to resolve all the outstanding issues. You could put a blurb on their membership that there are outstanding issues and until they are resolved, their membership is on hold. I do think people will read all these posts and avoid them, which is unfortunate… Personally I think they have a great product and need help with customer service. They should have shipping policies in writing. as part of their purchase agreement. I never got anything in writing. Only a Paypal receipt and it says nothing abut the mattress specifics or details of shipping… That is not acceptable for an $1800 purchase. I did use Paypal knowing that I am covered under their protection policy and I would encourage anyone who can’t resolve their problems to go to Paypal and file a claim. But if you don’t have a specific sales agreement, they may not be as helpful as they could be if you have a firm agreement on shipping and specifics of the item ordered…

Hi Nene1957,

That’s certainly one of the options that I’m considering

Phoenix

It is a concern that if they are dropped from membership here with negative feedback to boot, that their company could be at risk and our warranties useless… For those of us who bought from them because they were recommended here, it is concerning. I’d ask that you let them know that even one unhappy customer leaves a lot of feedback and that many of the people buying online end up here reading those comments. . And when you file a claim on Paypal, they very seriously pursue sellers and will cancel accounts if enough complaints are deemed appropriate , which also hurts business. If you signed an agreement for a minimal trial period, then I think you are stuck. If you made the wrong mattress choice, then you have to live with it for the minimum number of days. If they are not forthcoming on shipping status, they will not last long. I didn’t mind waiting 3 weeks, but I thought it was going to be 10 days max. I still am happy overall because I love the mattress but I understand those who have not received their purchased items anger and frustration.

The mattress underground is actually acting as their default customer service. These is the only place I’ve gotten any answers…

Hi Nene1957,

The large majority of their business doesn’t come from The Mattress Underground and probably don’t even know this site exists. You would probably be surprised how few people actually do good research into the mattress choices they make. Their membership here wouldn’t either “make” or “break” them.

@presssurepts

Unfortunately this has sometimes been the case with some of the members here that have purchased from them and it’s certainly not something that should be happening.

In any case … and as with any decision of this type … I intend to do what I believe is the right thing to do based on all the many factors that need to be considered. As I mentioned previously … it’s not something that I take lightly.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post. Unfortunately, judging by Select Foams actions I believe they could not care less about their membership here and I think it speaks to the company’s integrity and intentions when they won’t let you post to their Facebook page unless they approve of what you are saying and that their reviews section on the Select Foam webpage leads to absolutely nowhere. I will continue to monitor the forum as well as making my daily calls to Select Foam. Good luck to the rest of you!

OK- I finally got the mattress topper delivered. But I’m confused because I thought I was getting a 3 inch topper and I got a 2.5 inch topper. Sigh.
Anyway- It does improve the comfort of the mattress- but i’m annoyed because i have no idea how long the topper will last until it needs to be replaced- and then what if I can’t replace it with something as good?

The feel is improved, but since the mattress is so firm for me and my sensitive body- i feel like I may need even more of a comfort layer. Like another 2 inches of foam plus the 2.5. I’m am ok sleeping on my back with the topper, but not my side. My arms don’t go numb with the topper, but they still feel a little uncomfortable. And I’m still waking up a few times.

Hi pressurepts,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

I should add that I talked with Matt at Select Foam a few days ago (he was just getting on a plane) and he told me that he would be reviewing some of the comments and issues that have been mentioned on the forum recently and then will call me back to discuss them (and hopefully what they are doing to resolve them) and their membership here further.

Phoenix

I hope they get their act together. I opened a Paypal dispute for non-delivery after 9 weeks of first placing my order for a latex foam topper. I have been ordering stuff over the internet for a very long time and this is my first time ever opening a Paypal dispute for a purchase. That’s why I waited so long to do it. I gave them time to make good but they weren’t able to. I usually don’t post my dissatisfaction online, but I want to warn others who might be interested in purchasing from Select Foam.

I have called in many times, they told me that they will call back with an update. They did call back but I never received shipping confirmation. I kept calling back weekly, but to no avail. Now they don’t even answer their customer service line. So a warning to any potential customer, please be aware that this might not be the best company to make your purchases.

Hi Byte,

I appreciate that you posted about your experience as a warning to others that may be considering buying from them as well.

I am still waiting for Matt to return my call (I sent him a followup email today) and when and if he does I will make sure that he is aware of your complaint (along with any others that have been mentioned on the forum that are also waiting for a resolution as well).

I hope you also have the chance to let us know the outcome of your Paypal dispute.

Phoenix

I typed another message but i think it got lost.

I had an agreement with select foam to extend my trial period while i tried out the topper over the regalis.
I was away for christmas and after one night after being back the back pain returned. the topper and bed are not right and cause low and upper back pain. I think the 2.5 in topper is just too soft. and the Regalis without it is just too hard. Should I try a different topper?

I’ve been trying to get a hold of Chris for a month… I was told only he could help me. After being ignored for a month i called and talked to Matt- supposedly they are going to call me back on monday with solutions.

I don’t know what to do at this point. Should I try another topper? Something firmer but enough to provide some additional cushion? the regalis on its own is just way too firm and i can’t even fall asleep on it.

Or should I just get a refund? I wonder how long that will take.? I saw the notes about the company not being a member here anymore- wish that would have happened sooner and I would have shopped someplace else. If i do that… recommendations?

I slept totally fine on a temperpedic in DC- i believe it was a rhapsody controur breeze something. It was very conforming. The select foam bed is not conforming at all. it actually just feels like regular foam…
But i don’t want a temperpedic because of all the chemicals they use and off-gassing.

I also slept fine on a very medium, not firm not soft kids bed. 7 in foam on vacation… no low back pain at all. Where can i find a medium memory foam bed that does not have such a rigid core and is not too soft?

I would love to have foam order make me something custom, but their website says that they cannot source base foam right now that does not have added chemical flame retardants. ( and i don’t want to do latex). Other suggestions for something very medium top to bottom? or and least something i could unzip and rearrange to my liking?

Sorry so many questions- but after coming but from work in DC and then vacation again i realized one night on that bed is causing the sore back. I’ve been dealing with this for six months… ugh!

Hi pressurepts,

Unfortunately there is never a “good” time to make these types of decisions and as I mentioned in the sticky topic here about terminating their membership … at some point the elastic stretches too much and “breaks”.

There isn’t much I can add to my comments in this and the other topic about what you “should” do but if you do decide to try a different topper then I would make sure that you have enough time to try it out to make sure that it works for you and to make sure that you would be able to return the mattress and the topper (and have this in writing) if the combination doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for. I would also keep in mind that if a different topper doesn’t work out you may also be in a similar situation where getting a timely refund may be difficult or delayed.

As far as other memory foam options … I believe that you are in the Bay area and if this is the case then the better options or possibilities that I’m aware of in your area that you can test in person before a purchase (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. If you are still primarily focused on memory foam then a trip to Nest Bedding may be worthwhile since they have both memory foam mattresses and memory foam/pocket coil hybrids.

If you are still considering other online memory foam options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) which would also be well worth considering.

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other memory foam mattresses that they are familiar with such as Tempurpedic) than anyone else.

Phoenix