Select Foam

Hello I am here because this is one of the few sites I found with information about this company. I would like to get some information if it is ok. I have seen the sticky about removing Select Foam form your list.

However, I live in south Florida and Select Foam is based near me. They have a store that actually carries their mattress in their store. The store is called Brickell Mattress.

Right now I am looking to buy a Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe breeze. It is going to cost about $5300.

The Select Foam brand will cost me about $2200 for a supposedly comparable mattress (if not better.)

Tomorrow I was going to go to Brickell Mattress and try out both of theses mattress to see which one I like more.

Since I live close by this company I do not think getting the mattress will be a problem especially since it is sold in store by another company in itself. If I have post purchase problems contacting customer support I can always just go to their main office as well and speak to them there. :slight_smile:

I guess my question I am trying to get answered is before this company was removed and members here started having problems did this mattress/company live up to what it said about what is advertised. On paper this mattress actually seems “better” than the Tempur-pedic.

Tomorrow I will find out if it is more comfortable for me and I guess after seeing bad info about the company I was wanting a little more insight in spite of recent events. Brickell Mattress actually has the select foam and comparable Tempur-pedic mattress in their store that I am looking for.

Hopefully given my situation the moderators do not mind me asking this. :slight_smile:

I know you have removed them because of recent problems but since I live really close to the company I hope it is ok that I am asking this information and trying to find out more information to make a good decision on my near future purchase.

Thank You

P.S.

Earlier today I emailed select foam if they had a store to display.
Juan Quintero | Vice President of Sales | Select Foam, Inc. responded and told me about Brickell Mattress. I told him thank you and I would go there to check it out.

I also recently emailed Juan Quintero back a link to thread on this forum about their recent bad rep and ask if he could respond to me about it. Hopefully I get a response to it and if I do I will post information. :slight_smile:

Hi nate,

Before they changed suppliers they were certainly using high quality materials and were transparent about the materials in all their mattresses but even before this they had more than their share of customer service issues and delays (which is why I had posted a caution about them for quite some time before I finally removed them from the membership). As I mentioned in the warning post you read there is some question now about whether the density of the materials they are using are what they list on their website (although as you can see in post #7 here they may still be correct).

A local purchase where you can test the mattress in person would be somewhat less risky than an online purchase where you can’t test the mattress before you buy it to confirm that it’s a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) but overall given their current circumstances I would still consider any purchase from them to be a somewhat high risk purchase because if you do have any issues after a purchase you may end up experiencing the same type of customer service issues and delays (including with a refund) that some of the other members here have experienced in their dealings with them.

While only you can decide whether the additional risk is “worth it” to you … I would be very cautious until there is clear evidence that the current uncertainty about the company and issues they have been experiencing have been resolved.

Some of the other options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Miami area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

If you are also considering an online memory foam mattress purchase then the tutorial also includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

Phoenix

Thank you for this all of this great information!

I will take all of this into consideration and I guess tomorrow a real test of the beds will help a lot (I might not even like Select Foam for all I know.). After reading this information and if I was not able to try it out before hand I think I would completely stay away from the company. But since I am local and the price is substantially different at the very least it is worth a test.

I also got a reply from Juan Quintero. As stated before I would post their reply if I got one.

[i]"We are no longer on the MUG forum. It was too difficult to deal with clients that can not test the beds and most of them would have opinions without even testing the product.

Buying a select foam bed can be simple if you can test the mattresses locally, otherwise you then take the free shipping both ways policy.

I recommend you go to the local store and make a decision.

Also, I wish I had the time to interact at the forum but #1 we can not because are no longer members and #2 I am out of the US on vacation and coming back next week so I can address any further concerns then. In the mean time, testing the bed in person will make the most sense.

Happy New Year!
Juan Quintero | Vice President of Sales | Select Foam, Inc."[/i]

Hi nate,

Thanks for posting their reply but it certainly seems somewhat “odd” to me and misses the point about why customers would be concerned about purchasing from them.

I’m not sure what he means by this. It seems reasonable that people would have opinions about a mattress that they intend to purchase and if they decide to make a purchase then their opinion would normally be favorable (why would someone purchase a mattress if they didn’t have a favorable opinion). Their opinions would be based on their conversations with Select Foam and the information on their site about their mattresses. This is no different from any other online company. The issues they have had are about issues that have happened after a purchase and if they find it too difficult to deal with online clients then I would question why they are selling mattresses online in the first place. There are many online companies that do a much better job dealing with their customer service issues in a timely way than they do.

Free shipping both ways is great in “theory” (and the return/exchange policy is an important part of the “value” of an online mattress purchase) since it can reduce the risk of choosing a mattress that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for but it’s not so helpful in actual practice if they are difficult to reach or if they don’t honor the conditions of their return/refund policy in a timely manner.

Membership is not a requirement to post on the forum (anyone can register as a forum member and post on the forum) and how a company deals with any issues or delays they experience can be an important part of developing a good online reputation. Even a timely and cheerful refund that doesn’t make a customer jump through hoops or put barriers in the way of reaching them can enhance a company’s reputation (everyone understands that an online purchase doesn’t always work out). Every company has customers that have issues from time to time but how and how quickly they are dealt with can say more about a company than the issues themselves.

Phoenix