Select luxury e.c.o. vs. dreamfoam 12 in 1

Hi trixieb239,

The first thing I would need to make any meaningful assessment about a mattress is the information in this article. The overstock mattress doesn’t list the density of the polyfoam support core which could make a difference in durability as your son gets older and heavier and compresses the polyfoam under the 2" latex comfort layer more deeply. Thinner comfort layers will result in the layers underneath them compressing more and this can affect durability. While 2 lb polyfoam is a durable material … latex is inherently more durable than polyfoam but there are also other factors involved in the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person as well (see post #4 here). I would also want to confirm that the latex is 100% natural since the Select Luxury E.C.O. latex topper listed here seems to be the same material and is 20% natural and 80% synthetic and would be a less costly material than either 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay.

It’s probably not realistic to expect a mattress to be suitable for more than 10 years as your son grows and his needs and preferences change over time. Even if a mattress does maintain its comfort and support for that long … a changing body may require a different mattress so your ability to make changes to the mattress may be an important part of any purchase that you hope will last this long. In other words … his growing body may be a bigger limiting factor in how long the mattress will last than the quality or durability of the materials.

Some of the other Dreamfoam mattresses which have 3" of latex instead of two and allow you to customize your firmness choice may also be worth considering. They include the Ultimate Dreams latex hybrid here (which uses blended Talalay in the 3" comfort layer) and the Ultimate Dreams Natural latex hybrid here (which uses a 3" layer of 100% natural Dunlop).

In addition to this it may also be worthwhile choosing a mattress where you can change the comfort level of the mattress as he gets older and his needs and preferences change. The Ultimate Dreams Eurotop (which uses a blended Talalay comfort layer) would be an example of a mattress that allows you to replace the comfort layer for a different firmness level without having to replace the whole mattress. Of course you can also add a topper to any of the mattresses you are considering if he only needs some additional softness as he gets older.

The advantage of the 12 in 1 (besides the lower cost of course) is that it can be customized after a purchase by rearranging the layers as he gets older and his body changes. It also allows for individual layers to be replaced if necessary without having to replace the whole mattress.

Phoenix

PS: as you can see from my chat log after this comment … the customer service people at Overstock aren’t knowledgeable at all about mattresses (and this chat was after another one that their answers were meaningless) but I did manage to confirm that the latex was 20% natural and 80% synthetic.

Anne: Hi, my name is Anne. How may I help you?
Visitor: I’m looking at Item #: 11340487 and I wanted to know the density of the polyfoam support layer. I also have one other question after that.
Anne: I’ll be happy to help you with the information.
Anne: The density of this mattress is Over 5 Pound.
Visitor: I wasn’t looking for the density of the mattress …just the polyfoam support layer … and it’s not possible that it would be 5 lbs
Visitor: They don’t make polyfoam in that density
Anne: The top layer is 2 inches of latex foam and the base is 6 inches of high density polyurethane foam.
Visitor: Yes … I was looking for the density of the 6 high density ppolyurethane foam
Anne: Have I addressed all of your concerns?
Visitor: No … I still need to know the density (in actual numbers)
Anne: May I place this chat on hold while I quickly check this information for you?
Visitor: Sure
Anne: Thanks for staying online.
Visitor: No problem
Anne: I’m so sorry we don’t have exact information on this.
Visitor: OK … I have one other question
Anne: Please proceed.
Visitor: I wanted to confirm that the latex layer was 100% natural
Visitor: In Item #: 11994608 it says that their latex is 20% natural and 80% synthetic
Anne: I’m sorry it is 20/80 blend of natural and syntheic latex foam.
Visitor: Why is it listed as “all natural” Dunlop?
Anne: I’m really sorry we don’t have information on this. I will forward this issue to a specialized representative in or Product Department to help you with the details and you will be contacted via phone or email within 1-2 business days.