selectfoam regalis

Can anyone who purchased a selectfoam regalis hd12" , and has had several weeks to sleep on it, please post their thoughts on it. Realizing that mattress comfort is highly subjective, I’d still be interested in:

1. Does it sleep too hot?
  2. How does it compare to the closest tempurpedic model?
  3. Has anyone exchanged it for a different mattress, and why?
  4. Anyone have buyer’s remorse?

Thanks!

Hi bed-dazzled,

I’ve been sleeping on a Regalis for a couple weeks now. Impressions may change as the mattress “breaks in”, but I’ll answer your questions the best I can.

1. Mattress does not sleep hot at all. Sleeps pretty cool actually. (Although I do live in the NE in the midst of winter).
  2. It feels much more like the Rhapsody Breeze than the actual Rhapsody. However, imo it feels softer than both. I was surprised by this after reading some people found this mattress to be too firm.
  3. I exchanged a previous mattress (cirrus luxe and another, long story) for the Regalis.
  4. No buyer’s remorse on the quality of the mattress, however the book is still out on the return process with SF.

Hope this helps!

Thanks amr! Would you be willing to report again in a month or so? I’m in no rush to buy, and would like to make an educated purchase.

May I inquire which other mattresses you considered and your impressions? I’m guessing the forum doesn’t mind long stories!

Thanks!

Hi bed-dazzled,

Not at all … I’ve been known to write a few “long stories” myself :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Sure thing, I can update as it starts to open up more.

The original mattress I had was the Cirrus Luxe. I originally liked it a lot, however it just became too soft for me over time. I’m tall with an athletic build and started waking up with back pain once the mattress really softened up. I would still recommend the mattress as I found it to be very comfortable. I just wasn’t getting the support I needed.

I opted to exchange for the Featherlight Supreme (latex and memory foam combo) but this was not the mattress I got. Felt closer to a Cloud Supreme (but not quite) and dimensions and mattress cover were different. I tried to make it work for 2 months but had the same outcome with back pain once it softened up.

This all finally led me to the Regalis. Comparatively, this mattress just feels more sturdy than the other two (with the luxe being second). It offers good support but is still soft and comfortable to lie on. In hindsight, I should’ve gone with it from the start, as I had it narrowed down to a top choice. The whole return process was a pain and it does get pricey (mattress box, bag, tape, and marker come to over $80 then x2 in my case). And it took forever to coordinate (definitely not on my end).

Hello All,

We received our Select Foam Regalis HD 12" on Friday. After two nights’ sleep, I have to say that we are very pleased. It’s definitely a firm mattress, but the top layer provides a soft and cushion-y feel. Both my husband and I have slept well, no complaints. And we understand that it is still very early in the break-in process, so expect that the mattress will soften up with time.

The mattress does not sleep hot - we had a memory foam topper on our old innerspring - that was hot! We never had a chance to try out the Tempur-pedic equivalents, so cannot make a comparison. No buyers’ remorse at this point - just happy with the quality and comfort.

It took 3 weeks and 2 days from the time we placed the order til the time it arrived. We were told that the covers were delayed, and then an additional delay when the wrong-sized covers had to be replaced. I have to say that Peter was very responsive and courteous throughout, responding instantly to phone messages and emails. In fact, when I knew it was his day off, I sent him an email so that he could reply when he returned to work the next day, but got a phone call from him in minutes. When they say they are on 24/7, I believe it, since Peter replied to emails sent on a Saturday night and a Sunday morning. I was concerned about some of the experiences others had shared on this forum, so I’m happy to say that our Select Foam experience has been nothing but positive.

Thank you Phoenix and Mattress Undergrounders for providing such useful information which really helped me to drill down to the right choice for us.

Ready to pull the trigger on mattress purchase (finally)!! Reaching out to Selectfoam Regalis HD (now known as Regalis Luxe) buyer for any updates on their purchase. Helene, AMR, others…any second thoughts now that you’ve had your mattresses for half a year?

Thanks!!

I would also love to hear and update since I am also looking at the Regalis. Originally looked at the Aurora but there is a huge price jump (dont remember it being so significant a couple months ago, especially considering the only differance is .5" of 7.1 foam)… If it is too firm I could add a topper and new cover for significantly less than the $700 difference.

Hi supermanx,

The prices are still the same as they were a couple of months ago (you can see the prices on April 3rd on the wayback machine for the Aurora here and for the Regalis here).

Besides the difference in the amount of the 7 lb memory foam (which is a more costly material than the other layers) … the Aurora also has a slightly thicker base layer and it is also a pillowtop design with a different silk/bamboo cover which is a more costly design with higher cost components. A cover can be a significant part of the cost of a mattress.

Phoenix

Not sure why my memory is set that they were closer in price… Apologize for any confusion, i wasnt stating a fact just my personal valuation, I dont see a 2" of base material over the 6" of base material of the regalis make a significant difference and I will most likely add an additional mattress protector but maybe I am off base. I realize that the 7.1 is the most expensive and was thinking I could augment with a 1" 7-8lb topper but seems their availability is limited.

Hi supermanx,

Yes … if the only difference between two mattresses is a slight difference in the thickness of the base foam and the base foam is the same then by itself this wouldn’t make that significant a difference and the other differences between them would be a bigger part of the difference in cost.

As you mentioned … 7 lb density memory foam is much more difficult to find (I don’t know of any current sources) and if you add a topper to a mattress there would still be no certainty that it would feel or perform the same as another mattress that uses the same layer inside the cover (and this is assuming that the memory foam would be identical which is also unlikely unless it is made by the same manufacturer). In general … I would avoid buying a mattress with the intention of adding a topper unless you can test both of them together because choosing a topper that is a good match for you on a specific mattress can be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress in the first place. At the very least I would wait until you had slept on a mattress so you can use your actual sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to decide on whether you need a topper at all and if you do to help you choose the type and thickness of a topper that would have the best chance of success.

Phoenix

I went back through my notes and its been longer than I thought since I last researched mattresses (Jan of this year). I will say with online ordering of memory foam even sleeping on a comparable Tempurpedic will only get you in the ballpark, SelectFoam and Christeli are on my top list with the Charleston and Regalis respectively, but the few negative reviews on here (which I consider unbiased compared to the sites own reviews) seem to run the gamut of too hard to not what I expected. Overall I’ve had a hard time finding any long term unbiased reviews which is the reason I am in this thread.

I currently have a queen ultimate dreams 13" which we have had for 2 years, and are already feeling some indentations although we rotate every 6 months. Another complaint is that it has virtually 0 edge support which is what is really precipitating our new purchase WAY ahead of what I anticipated when ordering the UD13 and have been considering for almost a year (seems more like a full than a queen, iif your close to the edge its feels like your about to fall off a cliff)… So it has made me a bit skeptical of online ordering a mattress I cannot try in person.

I wouldn’t buy a mattress that I thought would need a topper, but see using a topper as a last resort to fix comfort issues. The real question in my mind is how do you quantify the difference of 1/2" of foam albeit expensive 7.1lb. I would absolutely spend extra money if I thought it would be the perfect bed for me. I have even considered just buying the tempurpedic since I have been happy with their product in the past, other than the short life (~7 years).

Hi supermanx,

Based on your earlier posts when you first bought the mattress it seems like your mattress wasn’t a particularly good “match” for you from the beginning. I don’t know the specifics of your body type but it’s quite possible that the mattress may have been too soft for you in terms of support (even though I know that it may have “felt” too firm in terms of comfort/pressure relief) and there is always a risk if you purchase a mattress that is “on the edge” of being too soft for you because even a relatively small amount of foam softening can put you “over the edge” of the range of support/alignment that is suitable for you even though the same mattress may have many years of life left in it and would still be suitable for someone else for much longer (see post #2 here). Even the original Tempurpedic that you were replacing that was much firmer and lasted you for 7 years may have been suitable for someone else to sleep on for much longer (some people have slept well on the same mattress for a dozen years or more).

The overall softness of the mattress along with sleeping closer to the edge could also be a contributing factor to the edge support issues you are experiencing as well (see post #33 here).

There really isn’t any way to quantify the “value” of a mattress based on the amount or cost of the materials inside it and in some cases this can be more misleading than helpful. Post #13 here has more about what I would consider to be the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase. I would keep in mind that the Tempurpedic you were happy with in the past was much firmer and had a thinner/firmer comfort layer (see here).

Phoenix