SelectFoam vs ?

In doing a general search for information on SelectFoam and PlushBeds, I stumbled across your site and think (I hope) that it may be one of (if not the only) the few sites devoted to honest exchange of information rather than spamvertising.

Thank you.

With that being said, I have searched your site and forums for information about those two manufacturers and have come away even more confused.

I am looking to buy a memory foam mattress for the first time and, as a side sleeper, am looking for plush even though many manufacturers recommend otherwise for heavier individuals. Based on several sideways searches starting quite a few years ago, I was narrowing my options down until I hit a “new” site called SleepLikeTheDead which had a nice comparison chart which suggested that two very good companies were TempFlow and PlushBeds (Healthy Foundations gets high marks too but they sell a firm mattress only). I contacted TempFlow via e-mail (because they don’t show their prices) and liked their response time and advice but was a little put off by their price. PlushBeds had a better price (actually shown on their site) and they responded, via live chat, to some questions but their answers were circular and I wasn’t satisfied; especially since many of their product descriptions and review/comparison links didn’t work.

So I searched for PlushBeds and found your site (or found it again because I think it came up earlier in my efforts) as well as several dissuasive, if politically correct, comments about that company. Many of those posts suggested SelectFoam as a better alternative (I already had them on my list of options) but, other than this site and their own, I can’t seem to find any reviews of their products (not even on the SLTD chart). When I tried to do a live chat with SelectFoam to find out if their suede covers are actually leather (not keen on that), I waited on “hold” and was then disconnected; a second attempt asked me to leave a message.

Basically, since most of the comments about PlushBeds, on this site, seem to relate to latex and I’m a little unsure of SelectFoam because of their suede, price (not that bad), and communication issues, I was wondering if you could offer some advice. Do these companies compare at all? Are there others I should be considering in the memory foam arena?

As a final thought, I’m trying to figure out how best to dispose of my old innerspring and boxspring. Recycling (or even donation) would be great but I can’t find any recyclers in the Chicago area (donation has its own issues); I’d rather not leave it in the alley. The White Glove option some of these manufacturers offer seems like an okay idea but the only part that appeals is the mattress removal (and maybe them getting the new one up to my third floor apartment) and that wouldn’t be ideal if it were still going to a landfill. Can you offer any advice there?

Thanks again for having this site and letting anyone become a member (5% maybe) to ask questions!

Hi skygraff,

The first place I would start is post #1 here which will give you some of the basic information and guidelines that are most helpful when you are looking for a mattress. This and the posts it links to are the “basics” you will need that will answer many of your more general questions and perhaps most importantly give you a step by step process for choosing a mattress.

Once you have some basic information the next step would be some local testing on mattresses that have similar designs and materials (that the manufacturer or retailer discloses) to the ones you are considering so you have a reference point in terms of how a mattress you are considering may feel and perform. Online manufacturers, particularly of memory foam, may be able to suggest local mattresses that are more widely available such as one of the Tempurpedic line that have a similar “feel”, quality of materials, or design (or all three in a few cases). No matter what the quality and value of a mattress (which you can only tell by knowing the specifics and quality of all the layers) … if a mattress isn’t suitable for you then no matter what the quality and value it would have little value to you. Words like “plush” and “firm” are mostly subjective and relative to each person and have little meaning without a specific reference point.

The risk of an online purchase can be lowered by having similar mattresses that you can compare in local testing (that have been “tested” to be comparable in real life and not just for the sake of marketing and selling a mattress), the knowledge and experience of the people you are dealing with and the quality of any advice and guidance they provide, or with an exchange or return policy that can be your “fallback” if you make a mistake in your comfort choice and need to fine tune or make changes to the mattress or send it back because it’s not suitable for you. These are all an important part of an online purchase. I would also make sure that you talk on the phone to any online manufacturer you are considering because the types of conversations you may need to have where “it depends” can be part of the answer to most seemingly simple questions are much more effective with voice communication. I would only use email or chat for very simple questions that have simple one line answers. Questions like “which mattress is best for me” which need much more background information to answer in any meaningful way than just basic height and weight information should never use written communications IMO.

To make meaningful quality and value comparisons between mattresses you need to know the thickness, type, and quality of all the layers and components. All good manufacturers or retailers will provide this to you so you can make more “apples to apples” comparisons as much as possible. I don’t see the specifics of the layers on the Plushbeds site and you would need this to make meaningful comparisons to any other mattresses.

For example … the Plushbeds Grand Royale uses 8 lb memory foam, 5.3 lb memory foam, and a high quality polyfoam base layer and sells for $2999 while the Select Foam Regalis uses the same materials and sells for $1599 (both in queen). In order to make a meaningful comparison between them though … you would need to know the thickness of all the layers because if one mattress has twice the amount of high quality foam it may justify the higher cost.

Other parts of your personal value equation that may be an important part of any comparison for you would include any other add-ons that each includes, your confidence that either of them will match your specific needs and preferences, and any differences between the return policies between them. All of these and all the other objective, subjective, and intangible differences that are important to you may all be part of your personal value equation. The best time to make comparisons between them is when you’ve narrowed down your choices at each manufacturer to one.

Some other posts that may be helpful that aren’t linked in the “read first” post include …

Post #13 here about reviews. Reading reviews is very different from actual mattress research and for the most part not very relevant as far as choosing a specific mattress because a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may be completely unsuitable for the next.

Post #9 here about Tempflow

Post #12 here which includes some of the better online memory foam choices I’m aware of (also listed in the “read first” post I linked).

This thread may be useful for ideas on disposing of a mattress (and this site has a couple of options listed for Chicago).

Phoenix

Wow, thank you for all that excellent information!

I had seen a lot of those posts in trying to find what I was looking for but, not only did you provide links to a few I hadn’t seen, your concise organization and clear explanations of their context have given me the direction I need to make some serious headway in this process.

It should be noted that Peter from SelectFoam responded very quickly to my complaints about the live chat issue and he explained that they have been experiencing some IT problems which have resulted in uncommanded disconnects. He also made some of the same points as you about limitations of written communication and offered to help me in this process.

Thank you so much!

Well, as you could’ve predicted, your advice and my further research has brought up even more questions and more options.

Each time I communicate with one of the manufacturers, I feel like I’m entering into a relationship only to back out of it when another manufacturer’s products seem to be even more suitable. I know it’s business and I know that my sale isn’t making or breaking their business; your members have that status because they care about customer satisfaction. But, thanks to your member list and your advice, I do keep bouncing around when I see interesting choices and construction methods (not to mention prices).

So, now, even though I am seriously looking at SelectFoam (as I try comparable TempurPedic beds in local sleep shops), Brooklyn Bedding (and DreamFoam) have come into the mix.

All that being said, since it’s just background on the process I’m following based on your advice, I do have one question that kind of seems a bit weird to ask of each manufacturer (especially if they all use the same material):

What is the “gel” used in some memory foam mattresses?

I know it’s odd but, as a vegetarian, I’d prefer not to have animal based products in my mattress. For that reason, I asked SelectFoam to clarify whether their “suede” cover was actual suede (leather) or something else (happens to be micro fiber or micro suede so not leather). On that same notion, gelatin (as used in desserts and what not) is often made from animal parts (lets leave it at that) and, thus, not a vegetarian friendly product. However, “gel” is a state of matter that, in simplest terms, falls somewhere between liquid and solid and can have a variety of compositions.

My gut tells me that the gels used in these mattresses are completely synthetic or semi-organic (plant-based) compounds so I really have nothing to worry about. That’s why I don’t want to ask the manufacturers and come across as a nuisance. I’ve searched the web as well as this site for some explanation of what type of gel is used in mattresses and keep hitting dead ends so figured it was time to buck up and ask the question; I did ask at a sleep shop but got the glazed eyes response.

On that same note, there’s much talk about the new method of infusing gel into the foam during the pour but some member manufacturers, including Brooklyn Bedding, still use descriptions like “gel beads” (even in their top level mattresses) in conjunction with the word “infused” and I wonder if those are old descriptions or if infusing has a broader definition than I thought.

I appreciate the fact that you, Phoenix, do respond to a lot of forum posts personally but completely understand if you don’t respond to this and hope that somebody with the knowledge will provide some insight as they see fit.

Thanks again,
SG

Hi skygraff,

I completely understand the difficulties of making final choices when all your choices seem to be good ones. I know in my case (and for most others) it was more difficult to narrow down the top few because all of them seemed “equally great” in different ways than it was to eliminate the 90% that weren’t part of my final choices. When you ghave reached the point here there is really no way to decide which one is “better” … then the final choice becomes more about which one is mos attractive to me or one small thing may end up tilting the balance in one way or another.

The good news is that in terms of quality or value any of your choices would be much better than almost anything you could have ended up purchasing in the larger mainstream market.

You can read more about gel polymers and the different types of gel materials in post #2 here (which also has links to other posts about gel and gel foams). They are not from animal sources (like gelatin) but are chemical polymers which are mostly sourced from petrochemicals.

Phoenix

Well, it seems that I have moved to the ? with this process and have pretty firmly decided on BB but am down to two with their own issues. I know that you have previously commented on this particular topic and, thanks to PPP, I’m not asking for your direct opinion.

I am seriously leaning toward the BB Bamboo Bella but, even with Mario’s help, really haven’t found a comparable mattress to try (he suggested a simmons mattress with air cool and quilted top but I’m told the one matching model has been discontinued). On the other hand, I’ve tried the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme and Luxe as well as their cool versions so have a pretty good idea about how BB’s Cool Luxe, Cool Supreme, and (DreamFoam) Ultimate Dreams will feel.

Even after a long try out, I didn’t care for the cooling layer on the Tempur vs their regular versions (seemed too firm and never really allowed me to sink in - gap at lumbar, etc.). I found myself waffling between the Supreme and Luxe so the DF, being described/reviewed as falling between the two, might be a good choice. The one thing I did notice was the standard memory foam issue of not easily being able to change positions but, on a quilted top mattress from another manufacturer (I think it was an iComfort), that was a little easier.

Will the quilted top on the Bamboo Bella improve upon that MF inertia issue? Will I miss out on the other benefits of the MF by having that layer as well as the cooling effect of bamboo (or is that just marketing)? Bamboo Bella comes with the exchangeable comfort layer guarantee (and full refund if necessary - minus shipping) but it also has a smaller comfort layer.

I will be contacting Mario again tomorrow (this time by phone because, just as I was getting the phone number, he offered to chat) and hope he will be able to set my mind at ease for a final purchase.

Thanks or everything!

Hi skygraff,

In general yes. The quilting and the wool would reduce the effect of temperature on the memory foam or slow down the temperature response of the memory foam which would tend to make it feel firmer (at least initially) and the “feel” would be more of a combination of the less resilient memory foam and the more resilient polyfoam and wool in the quilting. There are many people who like memory foam with quilted covers to reduce the sense of motion restriction and the sense of sleeping “in” the mattress to some degree that can be part of sleeping directly on memory foam and since the quilting tends to be more breathable than memory foam there can be temperature regulating benefits as well. None of this is a “rule” though because there are many different versions of memory foam and gel memory foam which have different response times and temperature ranges which also affect motion restriction. Post #2 here has more about the effect of quilted covers.

I think this is a good idea and I think you will find this very helpful. I personally couldn’t imagine buying a mattress without a more detailed voice conversation with the person I was buying it from.

Phoenix