Selecting a topper for Ikea MORGONGÅVA

Hi all, we selected the Ikea MORGONGÅVA (~24 ILD?) after reading positive things on it on a few review sites as well as posts here on TMU. We’ve had it for almost a year now and are in need of choosing a mattress topper for it to better suit our needs. My fiance is a side-sleeper and while the mattress isn’t so firm as to be “hard” it’s too much for her comfort while on her side. I know it’s among the firmer selections at Ikea, and it’s definitely more firm than my previous Ikea latex mattress.

I’m hoping that with some feedback and suggestions here, I’ll feel comfortable making a decision on which topper may be a good fit for us. We have considered latex toppers and wool toppers, but we’re still not informed enough to have chosen between the two types, 1 / 2 / 3" thickness, or which softness would be suitable.

• I prefer a firmer mattress to a softer one. I sleep on my back and front often, on my side occasionally. I am not uncomfortable on a soft mattress unless it’s “plush” enough that you really sink into it.
  • She prefers a softer mattress, possibly even what I’d consider “plush.” She is okay with a medium-firm rating so long as it’s got enough give to allow for hip comfort on her side. True firm is apparently no good for her, so she is the driving factor in wishing to soften the top layer of our MORGONGÅVA.
  • We live in Central Texas where there are very hot, very long summer seasons. The topper must be friendly with temperature regulating and not something that feels (or “sleeps”) warm/hot.
  • Our bed is currently at a comfortable stand-over height and we do not wish for the topper to exceed 3" under any circumstances. I have trouble believing that a 1" topper would actually solve our problem, but anything from 1-3" is in the running.
  • Finally, we are currently operating on a fairly tight budget with our wedding and honeymoon coming up within 6 months. Hopefully we will find we don’t need a 3" topper that’s price exceeds $300.

Most of the toppers I find that are labeled “soft” sound to me like they are a similar ILD rating to our mattress. They’re typically rated about 20 ILD and I have no concept of how much “softer” that is than the 24 ILD my mattress is suspected to be. I’m also a bit confused on exactly how soft of a topper, or how thick, we should be considering. I know that the mattress itself is 7" and firm, but I am just spitballing when I say “I think we need a 2-3 inch soft topper.”

Finally, what about wool? I’m a believer in merino wool and have a huge appreciation for it in my wardrobe. Wool toppers seem to be no more costly (and sometimes less costly) than latex options. My only concern is that it may not provide as much relief as my fiance will need for her hip.

Cheers!

Hi Crab Rangoon,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping (or topper shopping) is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress (or a mattress/topper combination) and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or topper or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress or mattress/topper combination will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While it’s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP … there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

I would also keep in mind that ILD is only one of several specs that makes one material or topper feel softer or firmer than another (see post #4 here) and the ILD of different materials or different types and blends of latex also aren’t directly comparable to each other as well (see post #6 here) so I would make sure that you choose a knowledgeable online supplier so you can have a more detailed conversation with them that can help you compare the firmness of their toppers to other types of toppers or types and blends of latex that they are familiar with. When you aren’t certain whether a specific topper will be a good “match” both for you and the mattress you are using underneath it then the return or exchange policy can also become a more important part of the “value” of a topper purchase just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

There is more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam toppers (at least in very general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

Phoenix