Serious pain this week from old leaky sleep numbers copy.

Let’s forget about what Ive been sleeping on, or how I cant even put pants on this morning, and look toward the future… I’m in Iowa City Iowa.

57 year old male, 5’9" 165 lbs, BMI 24.4, shoulder injury, tinnitus and insomnia. I wake up on my side but can fall asleep in any position but wake up at 3:30 a.m. every morning. No alarm clock needed.

The last time I researched mattresses, I remember the Sealy Posturepedic being one of the most popular mattresses, or one that many people end up with after not being comfortable on others.

Is this true? Id like to know which mattress has sold the most or has the highest reviews, and don’t care how much it costs, because I’m suffering from lower back pain and insomnia.

Thanks

Hi Spazatak,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear of your shoulder injury - that must be a pain for comfortable sleep! As for the Sealy Posturpedic, I can’t really say whether or not this would be a good fit. While many people may love it, that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be your best fit.

We recommend choosing your mattress through personal testing (where possible) and following the steps in our Mattress Shopping Tutorial and reviewing the Durability Guidelines.

We recommend not basing your decision on the reviews of others as it’s very unlikely that they have your identical sleeping profile, support and comfort needs, injuries to accommodate, etc. Also, many of these reviews are frequently made far too soon (prior to the break in period ones body needs for a new mattress) and we would not consider them especially reliable.

The most common cause of lower back pain is an alignment issue from a mattress that either has a support core that is too soft or comfort layers (or toppers) that are too thick/soft for your body type or sleeping positions but a mattress that is too firm and doesn’t provide good support under the recessed parts of your body (such as the small of your back) can also lead to lower back pain.

The most important “requirement” for any mattress purchase regardless of any back issues is always to make sure that it provides good alignment in all your sleeping positions.

There is more about primary and secondary support and their relationship to pressure relief and firmness in post #4 here and in post #2 here that may help you visualize what good support and alignment “looks like”.

We’re happy to answer any questions about specific mattresses as they relate to firmness and durability and we do hope that anyone who has similar stats to you and back pain is able to weigh in on what has worked for them.

NikkiTMU