Serta iSeries iComfort review

New to this forum, so I’ll try to make this post as informative as possible, and hopefully get some more information from other members who have a similar setup as ours.

I have recently bought a Serta iSeries Merit king-size mattress along with a Serta iComfort MotionPerfect II king-size adjustable base (cable-linked, twin-style…they don’t make a single-unit, king-size adjustable base). All in all, we have been very happy with it. We think the mattress is on the firmer side (after only a few months of use), yet still very to our movements.

The problems we’ve found are these:

• There’s very little bounce, so when certain adult activities are happening on the mattress, it’s sometimes difficult to find rhythm.
  • When we adjust the head of the bed up past a certain angle (approx. 35-40 degrees, or about 1/3 to vertical), our pillows like to shift downward toward our lower back as we are lying down watching TV, which kind of messes up our posture
  • When only one of us is on the bed, the mattress doesn’t “bend” with the base exactly right on either side; the occupied side sinks down too far, conforming with the base exactly, while the other side tends to stay flatter, seemingly lying on top of the bent points of the base. The effect is that the occupied side is inclined off the edge, so I almost feel like I need to climb to the middle. Not too bad though.

The high points:

• There’s very little transfer of motion; as long as we’re not together right next to each other, it’s tough to transfer motion to the other side of the bed.
  • The range of adjustment is working out very well. Some low-profile neck-support is all I need to find a comfortable position
  • The mattress does tend to stay cool, especially when it’s cooler than 75 degrees F.
  • The base seems to work very well; two motors moving a heavy mattress with two heavy people doesn’t seem to present a problem, night after night.

So feel free to chime in if you have a similar setup, or comments or questions toward me.

Hi mjh5054,

Thanks for your feedback and review of your new mattress.

You probably know from reading here that the Serta iSeries mattresses isn’t a mattress that would be the first choice for most of the members here and wouldn’t generally be considered to be particularly good quality/value … but it’s good to see that you are happy with it and that it appears to be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

This is a fairly common phenomenon with mattresses that use memory foam in the comfort layers although it would be less so with an innerspring support core than with a more traditional polyfoam support core that is used with most mattresses. Of course there is also no consensus about this either and some people seem to “adjust” to the feel of memory foam with their “other” activities on a mattress more easily than others (see post #2 here).

This is also very common with adjustable beds but of course it’s not an issue with sleeping because most people wouldn’t elevate the head of the bed that high when they sleep on it.

This is also very common with thicker mattresses (over about 12" or so) and depends on the thickness of the mattress and on the flexibility of the support core of the mattress. Thicker mattresses will contour to the adjustable bed less easily than thinner mattresses and foam (especially latex) tends to be a little more flexible than coils. Mattresses that are as thick as yours also don’t conform as well with adjustable beds so the side that has more weight will push the mattress into the bends more than the unweighted side.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope your mattress will maintain its current comfort and support for you over the years.

Phoenix

Thank you for your review!
I am considering this mattress. Can you please tell me if you purchased the Merit Super Pillow-top or just the regular / firm Merit/
Your help is greatly appreciated.