Settled on a mattress; but we're stuck on picking a bed!

First of all, we owe a huge thank you to Phoenix and all of the other members of this community who share their knowledge and expertise. I’ve been reading through the articles and the forum religiously for the past six weeks, and it’s been invaluable. I’m so glad I stumbled into this little corner of the internet.

After all of our thinking and testing and deliberation, we’ve settled on Brooklyn Bedding’s Bamboo Bliss, and we feel very comfortable/confident with that choice. After two uncomfortable mattress purchases years ago (one from Sleepy’s and one from Sleep Number), I cannot tell you how nice it is to feel at ease.

The hitch now is that we need to get a bed and/or a foundation for it, because we’re moving up to a king from a queen, and we’re totally at a loss. Part of our problem has to do with the fact that we can’t find one that we like aesthetically, which is our issue, but we’re also stuck on how to put all of the components together. We’d prefer a bed that sat up higher, and we’ve been looking at the Simple Life foundation that BB sells. Is that something that will work okay on a normal metal frame? Or should it be sitting on slats? We can’t figure out what configuration to buy… headboard, metal frame, platform, full bed, etc. Would it be better to not put this mattress on a foundation and instead look for a slat set-up that is simply built higher up from the floor?

Also–and I know this isn’t the site’s forte but I figured I’d ask anyway–does anyone have recommendations for reasonably priced online furniture retailers where we might look for beds? We’ve struck out at the typical sources (Amazon, Overstock, Target, IKEA, and the local big box stores).

Any help that y’all can provide would be awesome!

EDIT: I figured I’d clarify the question. Basically, we want to figure out how to optimize the comfortable mattress that we’re investing in. I don’t know why I couldn’t have just typed that before :blink:

Hi cjogrady,

First of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice.

Yes … the Simple Life foundation will work well on a metal or wooden bedframe that has a center beam with good support to the floor (preferably one leg with queen size and two with king size). There is also more about the different types of foundations and bedframes (or platform beds) that are suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here.

Your mattress would be fine on any firm non flexing support surface of any height that provides even non flexing support under the mattress and has good center support to the floor. This could be a combination of a metal bedframe with a foundation, a wooden bedframe (with at least 5 cross slats) with a foundation, a platform bed that is designed to support a mattress directly (without a foundation), or one of the “wire grid” types of platform foundations that would replace a bedframe and foundation with a single product. If you are considering a support system with wooden slats then I would make sure that for a mattress with a polyfoam support core that the slats are no more than about 5" apart but smaller gaps would be more supportive, stronger, and better.

Your other choices such as the design of a wooden bedframe or choosing a headboard or a footboard to attach to the bedframe would all be a matter of aesthetics and preferences but this isn’t my area of specialty or an area that I focus on in my research in terms of sources so outside of the few suggestions for platform beds that are in the foundation post hopefully some of the other forum members that have purchased a bedframe that they like will see your post and share their comments and feedback about the bed they purchased.

Phoenix

Did I mention how fantastic this place is? :wink:

Thanks for all of the advice. Like I said, I’m mostly concerned about maximizing the mattress, because I’m really excited about it. I appreciate the answers; they definitely pointed me in the right direction. As soon as we get everything set up and settled, I’ll be back in with our post-purchase thoughts!

In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions for a frame set-up and/or sources to find good bed frames, I’d love to hear them!

Hi cjogrady,

There is more information about choosing a metal bedframe in post #10 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful but I suspect you are looking for more for a wooden bedframe than a metal one.

Phoenix

That’s really helpful. Thanks. We haven’t ruled anything out, so we’re open to any kind of build/combo/structure.

Finding a bed is actually proving to be more frustrating than finding a mattress. If only we could just put the mattress and the foundation on the floor…

Dang, I wrote a whole post and closed the tab by mistake. Check out the manufacturer HomElegance. I found my perfect set, and was able to find a store that stocks some of there pieces and was very pleased with the quality of construction of the dresser drawers. They are dovetailed and with side glides.

The website is here: http://www.homelegance.com/ Once you find something you like, go to the bottom of the page and type in your zip code for a list of retailers in your area. Then it’s just a matter of calling or checking their websites comparing prices. I got a great deal from a local dealer that is also setting up and delivering for a very reasonable price.

Now I still need to decide on a mattress, which is why I’m on here!

We just moved from queen to king as well and ordered a king size log bed from Midwest log furniture.