Sheets

I know the focus here is on mattresses, but since sheets are such a big part of the sleeping experience I wonder if anyone has any advice about buying sheets. The choices and hype seem as daunting as buying a mattress. I ordered a set of 1500-thread count Egyptian cotton sheets online and now am returning them because of poor quality and lack of softness. I can practically see my hand through them. For a $130? I don’t think so. At least the company says it will give me a 100% refund. We’ll see.

I’ve got a lot invested now in a latex mattress from Arizona Mattress Company (awaiting delivery), a St. Dormeir mattress protector, and an organic merino wool comforter. There’s no need to settle for something less than heavenly sheets and a duvet cover.

Paul

Hi pvankeuklom,

While I’m certainly not as knowledgeable about bedding as I am about mattress materials (that’s a specialty in and of itself) there are several members here who are and visit from time to time.

In the meantime though post #7 here will give you some good resources and information about the different types of fibers and fabrics that are generally available and the pros and cons of each. When you are buying bedding and sheets it’s just as important IMO to look at the actual materials in the product and untangle some of the conflicting information as it is with mattresses.

Sometimes"thread count" in sheets can be just as misleading as “coil count” in mattresses because it’s only one piece of a larger puzzle and I think it’s probably just as common to see inaccurate information about bedding as it is with mattresses.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

I spent the good part of a day educating myself on linen sheets, and discovered that 100% Belgian linen from Libeco is of the highest quality and reputation. Then I spent the rest of the day searching out sale prices online. Here’s what I ended up ordering:

Full/Queen Santiago duvet cover (desert color) $199 Gracious Style

Full/Queen Vence sheets (oyster color)–fitted $160, flat $233.60, pillow cases $41.60 x 2 Didriks

As far as I can tell, the Vence line is being merged into the very similar Santiago line, and the desert color has been discontinued, which may be why with a little time and effort I was able to save about $395 … not bad for a day’s work.

Paul

Hi pvanheuklom,

Not bad at all!

You did well and you will have them for a long long time :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the results of your research.

Phoenix

We had purchased stretch jersey sheets for our memory foam mattress because we wanted to feel the full benefit of the foam. We tried them on our new SleepEZ latex mattress and oh-my-goodness they’re just wonderful! These sheets are thin, filmy, stretchy, and incredibly soft; I want to say “like your oldest t-shirt” but they’re much softer than that. And they stretch so you feel every nuance of the latex comfort and in IMO add a final touch of luxury. The ones we bought were from Walmart (!) and very inexpensive, but after 6 months of every-night use, they’re holding up very well. Soft Tees Luxury Modal Jersey Knit Sheet Set - Walmart.com

The sheets are 70% Modal/30% cotton, and before everyone asks:

Modal is a bio-based fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose from beech trees. It is about 50% more hygroscopic, or water-absorbent, per unit volume than cotton is. It is designed to dye just like cotton, and is color-fast when washed in warm water. Modal is essentially a variety of rayon.
Textiles made from Modal do not fibrillate, or pill, like cotton does, and are resistant to shrinkage and fading. They are smooth and soft, more so than even mercerized cotton, to the point where mineral deposits from hard water, such as lime, do not stick to the fabric surface. Like pure cotton, modal should ideally be ironed after washing.
Modal is a registered trademark of Lenzing AG, an Austrian company specializing in textiles and fibers, particularly natural fibers made from cellulose. In the United States, pure Modal has begun being used in household linens such as towels, bathrobes, and bedsheets. Bed Bath & Beyond, for example, sells its newly-released Modal sheets under the name Pure Beech. Indian textile companies, in particular, have taken to Modal, and are expected to produce around 4000 tons of it in 2005.

Just thought I’d provide this info in case anyone is looking for sheets that “interfere” with the feel of the mattress as little as possible.

Hi pvanheuklom,

I am also in the market for getting some new sheets for my new King size mattress that will arrive on 03/08. I want the best sheets that is available. I am curious about the linen sheets that you purchased. Can you please a review of the sheets you purchased.

Hi pglover19,

In a word, amazing. My mattress won’t be delivered until about the same time as yours, so I haven’t slept on the sheets yet. But after laundering they are soft and lightweight as can be–in my opinion much nicer than the Egyptian cotton I’ve touched. Some might want to iron them out of the dryer, but I prefer the slightly rumpled look, kind of shabby chic. From what I’ve read, linen is more durable and will last a lot longer than cotton sheets. It’s claimed that the flax fibers actually become stronger and softer over time. These will be sheets I can pass down to my son one day.

An added attraction for me is that my grandfather immigrated to the U.S. from Belgium, creating a sense of connection and heritage. Sure, they’re expensive–though diligent searching can find them on sale–but in my estimation they’re worth it. Make sure they’re 100% Belgian or French linen, though. Unless they are specifically identified as such they are probably made from Russian linen, which is of inferior quality and the reason they are usually so much cheaper.

These sheets (and the linen duvet cover) should last my lifetime. Besides, after spending so much time and money trying to find the perfect mattress, why skimp on sheets? I’m ready to enhance my sleep experience in every way possible. When I get a chance, I’ll probably buy a second set.

If you decide to go this route, let me know of your experience.

Paul

Great Information… I am trying to decide on whether to get the Vence or Santiago line from Didriks. It looks like the Santiago line is just a prewashed version of the Vence and is a little more expensive than the Vence line. I guess when I initially wash the Vence sheets they would be just like the Santiago sheets. Here is what I am thinking about purchasing from Didriks and these are the sale prices:

1 - Vence King Fitted Sheet (Taupe) - $196.00
1 - Vence King Flat Sheet (Taupe) - $247.20
2 - Vence King Pillow Cases (Taupe) - $54.40 each

Total: $552.00

Is this a good choice? Please advise…

[quote=“pvanheuklom” post=14533]Hi pglover19,

In a word, amazing. My mattress won’t be delivered until about the same time as yours, so I haven’t slept on the sheets yet. But after laundering they are soft and lightweight as can be–in my opinion much nicer than the Egyptian cotton I’ve touched. Some might want to iron them out of the dryer, but I prefer the slightly rumpled look, kind of shabby chic. From what I’ve read, linen is more durable and will last a lot longer than cotton sheets. It’s claimed that the flax fibers actually become stronger and softer over time. These will be sheets I can pass down to my son one day.

An added attraction for me is that my grandfather immigrated to the U.S. from Belgium, creating a sense of connection and heritage. Sure, they’re expensive–though diligent searching can find them on sale–but in my estimation they’re worth it. Make sure they’re 100% Belgian or French linen, though. Unless they are specifically identified as such they are probably made from Russian linen, which is of inferior quality and the reason they are usually so much cheaper.

These sheets (and the linen duvet cover) should last my lifetime. Besides, after spending so much time and money trying to find the perfect mattress, why skimp on sheets? I’m ready to enhance my sleep experience in every way possible. When I get a chance, I’ll probably buy a second set.

If you decide to go this route, let me know of your experience.

Paul[/quote]

During your research, did you consider buying silk sheets? There is another thread where I am talking to someone about silk sheets.

Hi pvanheuklom,

I am ready to pull the trigger but I am concerned about the softness of linen and how it feels on my skin. I am a person that have slept on cotton sheets all my life. So I know how cotton sheets feel while sleeping. Based on your comments, linen will be even more softier than the cotton sheets. How does the texture feel?

After doing some research I found this website that makes custom sheets maded from 100% Belgian Eco-Linen from Libeco. Below is a link to website and talked to the owner “Jason”. It seems like a great deal for a King size sheet set for $489. They even have a 30 money back guarantee. I only thing is the colors available (natural and white).

http://www.linoto.com/Linoto-com-Eco-Linen-Sheet-Sets-s/41.htm

I found this article with some basic info on the various sheet types.

Now I am not sure if I want to get Mulberry Silk sheets or 100% Libeco Belgian linen sheets… What decision do I make?

Why don’t you buy a pillowcase of each type you’re considering? At these prices, you want to be sure. I’m sure many would be interested in hearing your opinions after you try them out as well.

I’m looking into organic cotton sateen now too, as it apparently has much of the feel of silk without the cost or special laundering.

decisions, decisions… :slight_smile:

You are right that the silk and linen are expensive…

I have been talking to Jason from linoto.com and they make custom linen sheets from the best Lebico Belgium linen fabric and they have a 30 day guarantee…

Hello pglover,

Just a few quick comments to add to the discussion.

Both are soft but silk is soft and light and linen is soft and heavier … and takes a while to get there,

Silk would be cooler to the touch but Linen would be more breathable and cooler over the course of the night.

Both are very durable if the quality is good.

Silk would be more “luxurious” and probably have the edge in “feel” (depending on what kind of soft and texture someone prefers).

Phoenix

I almost forgot,

Here’s another link to some interesting linen sheets I came across in my travels http://www.roughlinen.com/shop_by_fabric.html

Phoenix

Oh, those look nice and are priced reasonably. I may get my second set there.

You may want to talk to Jason at http://www.linoto.com. They can custom make sheets made from 100% Libeco Belgian linen…

Since the Santiago and Vence are essentially the same once you wash them, I would go for whichever one is cheaper. These prices look pretty good, though I haven’t compared king sheet prices.