Sheets

I know of 3 places that do linen.

1. Tmasc.ca, who sells St. Geneve linen. That is where I got my linen from, and I recommend them to anyone that asks.
  2. Linoto.com. Iā€™ve read good things about them, but have no personal experience.
  3. Roughlinen.com. I plan to buy from themā€¦ Iā€™m sold on their story and suspect they have great product.

Yes, I just sent a request to Roughlinen.com, I guess they have the best quality, but itā€™s expensive, but all hand made :slight_smile:

I have pretty well decided that I want the Eileen Fisher ones from Garnet Hill. So now I just have to wait for a discount codeā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hi,

Here what I found so far:

Rough Linen: http://www.roughlinen.com/smooth_white_sheets.html ($388 for a queen set)

Looks to be the best quality, but I think they donā€™t do fitted sheet. Quite expensive, but I think itā€™s priced well for what you get.

Linoto: http://www.linoto.com/Linen-Sheets-Set-Linoto-com-p/lst.htm ($259 for a queen set)

A bit cheaper then Rough Linen, not sure about how they compare in term of quality.

Sofiaā€™s Linen: http://www.sofiaslinen.com/products/sheet-sets ($289 for a queen set)

So reports itā€™s good, but I donā€™t find much information about this brand.

Etsy: This item is unavailable - Etsy ($259 for a queen set)

All positive review. People report it to be as good or superior to other brand.

Cuddle down: http://www.cuddledown.com/product/italian-linen-plain-sewn-bedding.do?sortby=newArrivals&from=fn ($476 for a queen set)

People say itā€™s the finest linen, but the price is also really high.

Restoration Hardware: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2461462&categoryId=cat2330004 ($326 for a queen set)

People report that they donā€™t last long.

dn, I would like to know what you like about linenā€¦youā€™re so articulate & descriptive :slight_smile:

I have never slept on linen and was considering getting jersey cotton sheets. But the reviews of linoto (and others who sell linen) are compelling. One woman said she bought a second set so that her daughters wouldnā€™t have to fight over them when dividing up her estate!!!

@buttercupbetty

I have St. Geneve 100% linen fitted sheets that I bought through tmasc.ca.

It is a much thicker linen than what youā€™d find at Crate and Barrel. But you could feel linen at Crate and Barrel or a few other places no doubt.

What I like about it is that i used to sleep hot, and I donā€™t with linen. It has a unique feel which i generally like (compared with good Egyptian cotton, which I also like too). That said, my pillow that I prefer sleeping on has a brushed twill cotton, as does my duvet cover, which i love also, and I donā€™t use a flat sheet (fitted only, with duvet on top). The point being, my whole bed isnā€™t pure linenā€¦ And i do have linen pillow cases, but I seem to prefer the brushed twill cotton (they happened to be lacoste beddings, which I got at a clearance store for 90% off- love them!)

I find linen soft, although itā€™s sort of different than cotton soft. I like how it feels as a fitted sheet.

I have a free linen fabric swatch being sent to me from roughlinen.com. Iā€™m considering linen from themā€¦ I love their website and their story, but who knows.

My only warning re linen is Iā€™d guess people either love it or hate it. As a fabric, itā€™s not as familiar to people as cotton.

I have ordered 2 fitted sheet and 2 pillow cover in Natural color from Rough linen.

I got a delivery attempt today, I will get them tomorrow at the post office. I will report back on my experience.

Canā€™t wait to try them in my bed :wink:

Rough Linen donā€™t do fitted sheet and I think it may be better in the long run since I can switch both, so it should last longer.

Thatā€™s my first linen set, coming from combed pima cotton, so I donā€™t know if I will like linen sheet, I will see!

Hi hmorneau,

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback ā€¦ they are one of the things on my radar as a future purchase.

Phoenix

@dn,

While I am super excited about linen, Clawdia just turned me on to this smoking deal on some organic cotton sheets from Sierra Trading Post. Coyuchi.

If I donā€™t like them, Iā€™ll return them and get back on the linen bandwagon. Sounds nice!

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=27738]Hi hmorneau,

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback ā€¦ they are one of the things on my radar as a future purchase.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi Phoenix,

I have spent my first night with my linen sheet, and they are so nice (I was able to pick them up at the post office Friday). You wake up in the morning fresh, you stay very dry and warm.

I went with their signature linen, natural colour (the colour is amazing, itā€™s not grey, there is a nice silver colour into it).

Is it rough? Yes, but in a very good way, first I have washed only once, so they are suppose to become even smoother, but already there are so comfortable. Itā€™s rough and soft at the same time, but those who like linen clothing, itā€™s about the same feel, except even better.

No fitted sheet? No, only 2 huge flat sheet, but with a sheet thatā€™s huge, itā€™s so easy to make you bed, itā€™s even easier than a fitted sheet. They are really really heavy.

Highly recommended. Expensive, but worth it.

@hmorneau:

Can you please post the link to your exact sheets? Glad you love them :slight_smile:

Here a link: http://www.roughlinen.com/smooth_white_sheets.html

@hmorneau

Those are the exact ones Iā€™m considering. I have one of their free fabric swatches on the way:
http://www.roughlinen.com/contact.html

In addition to the smooth linen natural, Iā€™m curious about the Orkneyā€¦ Maybe a duvet cover, and maybe ask Tricia to commission a flat sheet or pillow cases made of it, which she doesnā€™t normally do (if you watch her videos, she uses the word ā€˜commissionā€™ to mean special order).

For those considering her roughlinen.com products, I recommend watching her videos. I found them very informative and entertaining (I often buy products that have a ā€˜storyā€™ behind them that I like, and the videos further developed that story for me):
http://www.roughlinen.com/videos_menu.html

I know what you mean about ā€˜is it rough, yes, but in a good wayā€™. Linen has a unique feel. :slight_smile:

Hi dn,

To be honest, Iā€™m in love with the colour of the natural smooth linen, itā€™s just perfect. Iā€™m thinking of getting a duvet cover made of it. The natural Orkney is not the exact same colour (more grey, less silver).

Orkney is supposed to be nice, her favourite, so Iā€™m not sure yet what I will end up getting. Orkney is a bit cheaper as well since she buy more of it.

The feel and the colour change so much after a first wash (in a really nice way). I will try to wash the free fabric sample tomorrow and see if it gives me a better feel of the orkney colours.

I thought Orkney was even thicker and more expensive?? Oh I see now, they are similar in price. $357 for full weight smooth linen or $350 for Orkney in queen size. The website does say they are the same color, but Iā€™d gather much more variation in the natural.

Iā€™m anxiously awaiting my fabric sample card :slight_smile:

Thanks for your posting! You sound like the people who have quotes all over the roughlinen.com website.

Hi hmorneau,

I guess that means that I have to change things from just being ā€œon my radarā€ to moving up a little higher on the priority purchase list.

Thanks ā€¦ I think :slight_smile:

Phoenix

To show how amazing is the colour.

@hmorneau:
Wow! They look a lot different than the photo on her website. Much browner, donā€™t you think?

So you bought two flat sheets individually, right? Plus pillowcases? How much did you spend?
Iā€™m guessing over $400 :blink:

Yes, well itā€™s more expensive for me since Iā€™m from Canada (so itā€™s like 154$+154$+40$+40$=388$ + 50$ shipping + 70$ duty)

Basically a bit over $500, but still worth every pennies.

Yes, I much prefer the colour then I first expected. But I put white underneath to show a point of comparison.

From the sample, the orkney look a bit more grey.