Sherwood Bedding. Nobility line "plush". Bond (as in james bond?) model.

I am unable to find any information about this (two-sided) mattress. Sherwood Bedding, in Arizona, could not bring up this model on their website! I am told it has two types of wool, a memory foam layer, a gel-infused foam layer, three layers of “mini-coils” (total of 4,000 coils. I cant tell if this is a legitimate quality mattress, or if Sit & Sleep is a quality merchandiser. Help.

Hi tomas927,

Hopefully you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While nobody can speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP and how well you sleep the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You can read a few general comments about Sherwood Bedding in post #2 here and post #2 here. They are certainly a legitimate company but as you can see in post #5 here they aren’t always completely transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses. Some of their mattresses use good quality materials that would be worth considering and I would avoid some of their mattresses as well so it will really depend on the specifics of the mattress you are considering.

If you can find out all the information about the materials and components that you need to know (that are described in the article about “mattress specifications you need to know” that I linked) and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress.

If for any reason the manufacturer or the retailer you are dealing with isn’t able or willing to provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and to make more meaningful comparisons with your other “finalists” … I would avoid it completely because without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about a mattress and it would be a very risky choice.

Phoenix

Hello, thank you for a very timely response. The specifications I was able to receive are this:

Warranty : 20 years NPR
Tab Label Number : WT 118741 W
Bed Height : 13.0 "
Tuft Pattern : 24 Tuft Box Pattern
Panel Tick : CULP RW-8577
MATT BUILD :
2 Oz. JOMA - MARINO WOOL
.75 OZ. Fr. Fiber
1" 3.7 Lb. Gel Infused M-F
1.5 " 1.5 / 15 Soft Topper
“Quantum” 2757 Triple Coil
1.5 " 1.5 / 15 Soft Topper
1 " 3.7 Lb. Gel Infused M-F
.75 Oz. Fr Fiber
2 Oz. JOMA - MARINO WOOL
Border Spec.: 2 X .75 Oz. FR Fiber + 1/4 " 1.1 / 28
Border Tick : CULP RW 8578

I was told this mattress has 4,000 coils. I believe they are pocketed.
I weigh about 175 Lbs. I believe I enjoy a comfort level of 3 (modestly firm). This mattress is discounted about 50 % (less than $1,000.00). I read the guidelines. The mattress is manufactured in North America. I am not able to determine where the foam is sourced. I will ask, if you believe this mattress is acceptable.
It is double-sided; I would turn the mattress about every 4 months and flip the mattress every 8 months. Do you have an opinion ? I respect very much what you are providing to the unwary purchasing public ! I believe you are on top of the mattress “game” (I also like Ralph Nader). Your public service should have national recognition. How can I help ?

Hi tomas927,

The retailer that is selling your mattress should have provided you with a more simplified and “translated” version of the specs that were easier to understand rather than providing you with a factory spec sheet that needs “translating”. I wonder if they even know what some of the information means.

The specs of your mattress with the unnecessary information removed would look like this …

2 Oz. JOMA - MARINO WOOL: they don’t say whether the 2 oz of wool is per sq ft or per sq yd (most likely sq ft) but either way wool quilting can help with temperature regulation and is a good quality material.
.75 OZ. Fr. Fiber: This is the fire barrier that is required to pass the fire regulations.
1" 3.7 lb. Gel Infused memory foam: This meets the minimum density guidelines for memory foam that I would consider for a two sided mattress.
1.5" 1.5 lb. polyfoam: This also meets the minimum density guidelines for polyfoam that I would consider for a two sided mattress.

“Quantum” 2757 Triple Coil: It’s not clear to me whether this is a single quantum pocket coil (you can see the specs of the Leggett & Platt quantum coils here) or whether this is a quantum pocket coil with a microcoil on either side (which is what the name implies but the total thickness of the pocket coils would be too thick to add up to the thickness of the mattress) or whether this is three microcoils on top of each other (in which case it wouldn’t include a quantum coil at all but if they are all low profile 2.4" softech coils then at least they would add up to be close to the right height to make all the layers and components add up to the thickness of the mattress).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: beddingcomponents.com/comfortcore/documents/quantum.pdf

The same layers as I listed on top would be on the bottom of the mattress as well.

Quantum coils and microcoils are both good quality and durable components and wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress. The total coil count of a mattress also isn’t particularly relevant or meaningful (and they don’t mention the size that the coil count refers to) but since they are claiming or at least implying that there are three pocket coils in this mattress I would want to know the specifics of each of them including the type and height and coil count of each of the three coils that it includes so that you can add up all the layers to make sure that it adds up to the thickness of the mattress and so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Regardless of the type of coils though … as long as you regularly rotate and flip the mattress (see post #2 here) there would be no lower quality materials or components relative to your weight range that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Sherwood Bedding is CertiPUR-US certified so there would also be no issue with the “safety” of the foam layers.

I would also check the law tag to make sure that it’s a new mattress with a recent manufacturing date since they don’t list it on their website and to make sure that any unusual discount isn’t because it’s a floor model or a comfort return.

If you are confident that it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences) and it also compares well to the other “finalists” you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be worth considering.

Thanks for the kind comments … I appreciate them! You already have helped by asking question and by providing the “quality specs” of the mattress you are considering and of course you can also help by letting others know about the website so that they can also learn how to make better quality/value choices as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am very thankful to you. You are amazing in what you do ! I am flabbergasted (or something like that). Thank you so very much. Since the coils are interior, their configuration may not be absolutely essential I believe they are a three-tiered stack, of what arraignment I don’t know. I can’t thank you enough. This mattress is, of course, a “floor sample” of about March 2015 construction.

Hi tomas927,

Some of the information about buying a used mattress in post #2 here would also apply to a floor model (or a comfort exchange) as well. Outside of how you feel about sleeping on a mattress that other people have been lying on (some people would be more comfortable with this than others) … I would also make sure that you are comfortable with purchasing a mattress that has no warranty (see the Sherwood warranty here) and that is a final sale as well and that the discount is enough to justify the added risk.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sherwoodbedding.com/mattress-warranty/

I would also make sure that any discount you are receiving is calculated off the price that they would have normally sold the mattress for and not the manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) which is often a “fake” price and isn’t normally a price that anyone would actually pay for a mattress.

Phoenix