Shopping for a latex mattress in Vancouver BC

Hi SkookumSleeper,

I’m glad the information and list were both useful.

That’s understandable to be cautious if you’re not able to test out an item in person, as you’d basically be in the same position as ordering something online where you’re not able to sample it in person. This is one of the reasons why many online retailers offer exchange/return options, and would certainly be something to consider in such a situation as you described.

My advice is to try not to learn everything, but “just enough” to know if the people with whom you’re dealing are knowledgeable, and then rely upon their expertise. This can help avoid analysis-paralysis and falling into the “rabbit-hole” of trying to predict comforts based purely upon specifications.

Searching for a zoned mattress can introduce more variables into your mattress shopping equation, which many people do find more confusing and intimidating.

From one of the posts I linked to in my previous reply…[i]latex is a somewhat unusual material because it is very point elastic (can adapt very well to different body shapes and redistribute pressure without being “held back” by the material next to the compression) and has a high compression modulus (how quickly a material becomes firmer as you sink into it more deeply). This means that even with soft latex or latex layers that aren’t zoned it can become firmer more quickly under the heavier parts of the body (such as the pelvis) as they sink in more deeply which can “stop” them from sinking in too far and keep the spine in better alignment. This is the reason for zoning in the first place to “hold up” some parts of the body while “allowing” others (such as the shoulders) to sink in more deeply to maintain good spinal alignment.

Monozone latex layers have been used successfully for decades because the unique properties of latex (or some other high quality materials) allow it to adapt to different body types and weight distributions and maintain alignment more effectively and in a way they have a form of “built in” zoning because of their specific properties which means that zoning isn’t as “necessary” as it would be with other types of materials that don’t have the same properties or response. While zoning can certainly be helpful in some cases even with latex … this isn’t necessarily true in all cases and the key with any mattress design or zoning scheme is that it is a good “match” for the unique needs and preferences of a particular person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and what works well for some or even many may not work at all for others.
[/i]
Phoenix