Shopping for a very firm, cool mattress

I came across this site while researching mattresses, and would appreciate any guidance in my quest for the perfect mattress for me and my wife.

I am a hot sleeper, and I heard that latex provides a cooler sleep than memory foam. At the same time, we want something very firm (we lived in China for a while and really loved the very, very firm mattresses that we slept on while we were there). We need motion isolation so I don’t wake up my wife (a light sleeper).

I’ve looked at the PacBamboo from BedInABox.com and heard really good things, though I don’t know how cool memory foam is no matter what technology they add to the mattress. I’ve also read good things about DreamFoam/Brooklyn Bedding, and I am looking at their 12 inch Bamboo Bliss. We’d probably purchase the bed with a 1 firmness, which is the firmest they make.

Which of these two mattresses would better meet our needs?

Thank you for any guidance!

Hi jisungk,

The first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones.

You’re right that latex is the most breathable of all the foam materials but there are also many other factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress that are talked about in post #2 here. Firmness is subjective and relative to each person so you will need to use your own personal testing or experience to decide which mattress is firm enough for you and is the best “match” for your body type and sleeping positions in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). If you are looking at an online purchase that you can’t test ahead of time then you would need more detailed conversations with each online retailer or manufacturer to help you decide which of the mattresses they carry was the best “match” for you in terms of firmness and your personal value equation.

You can read more of my thoughts about BedinaBox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any memory foam mattress that didn’t meet the guidelines listed in post #10 here.

Dreamfoam is one of the members of this site which means that I believe they are one of the manufacturers that competes well with the best in the industry in terms of quality and value.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. A lot of helpful information in the posts you linked.