reading your very helpful forum and am ready to take the plunge. Please
confirm if I’ve understood that the blended talalay latex is the most
durable latex? My Mom and Dad are different sizes so I want to find a
company that will make her side pretty soft and his side much firmer because
he’s heavier. She’s 5’2" 120 lbs and he’s 6’ 215". Both are side sleepers
and he likes a firmer mattress.
About the same for my husband and I.

Would you comment on what ILD’s would be good and I’m looking for the most
economical price for a 9 or 10" mattress?

Is it ok to use the foundations we already have to put this on or is there a
special base to buy? Both will be queen size.

Lastly, how does the all latex mattress compare to the ones that have just
3" of latex on the top and the foam base underneath?

Thank you in advance for your help. Lollie

Hi mtnhigh,

There are many factors involved in durability (which you can read about in post #4 here) so it would depend on the other durability factors that are involved. In an otherwise apples to apples comparison of blended Talalay vs 100% natural Talalay in lower ILD’s (not all ILD’s) though … then yes the blended would likely be more durable. You can read more about the difference between them in post #4 here. You can also read more about the different types of latex in post #2 here.

There is lots of generic information about layering and different body types and mattress designs in the Putting the layers together and in the Sleeping style, preferences, and statistics sections of the site as well as in the tips and tricks page here for those who are interested in some of the theory behind different designs and layering but I leave all the specific suggestions to more detailed conversations between you and the manufacturers or retailers you are dealing with. They are the experts with their own mattresses.

You can read more about foundations in the foundation thread here. In general a latex mattress does best with a firm non flexing foundation with gaps between the slats of 3" or less. In general though I would tend to follow the suggestions of each manufacturer regarding a foundation.

You can read more about the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix