Shopping for new bed - Dallas area

First of all, thank you for this awesome website. The information here is detailed, easy to read, and extremely helpful.

I recently moved to the Dallas area, and started shopping for a new bed a couple of weeks ago. I went to several bedding stores, and tried most of the big name brand beds, without necessarily loving any of them. A friend suggested looking at latex beds, so I started researching, and found this site.

I see there are a few bed-makers in the Dallas area, and I plan to check them out in the next week or so. That being said, I also found there are a lot of positive comments about the online retailers that are members here. Some of the beds online seem to be good values.

I plan to check out The Mattress Factory, and Sleep Craft Mattress. I don’t have a problem buying a bed online, but seems the advantages of having a local company outweigh the possible cost savings. I am not even sure how I should phrase that as a question…

I want to get a king sized bed. I weigh 240, and mainly sleep on my right side. I would appreciate some guidance as far as local vs online. Thank you!

Hi SteveinWylie,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

The website is a work in progress and there will be some changes over the coming months (and years) that will make it a little easier to use yet as I upgrade the software and add some additional features (which are already being worked on) that will make the most important information easier to find.

[quote]I plan to check out The Mattress Factory, and Sleep Craft Mattress. I don’t have a problem buying a bed online, but seems the advantages of having a local company outweigh the possible cost savings. I am not even sure how I should phrase that as a question…

I want to get a king sized bed. I weigh 240, and mainly sleep on my right side. I would appreciate some guidance as far as local vs online. Thank you! [/quote]

I tend to agree with you that the chance to test a mattress in person and the lower risk and uncertainty involved is generally worth a reasonable premium although in some areas of the country the local value is very comparable to the mattresses that are sold online.

There is more about what I would consider to be the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and there is also more about the pros and cons of a local vs an online purchase in post #2 here and in this topic.

In the end though, which direction would be best for you will depend on what is available locally and on the specifics of your finalists once you have narrowed down your choices to one at each retailer or manufacturer you are considering (locally or online). Once you are down to finalists that are comparing “good vs good” and if there is no clear winner between them then I would make a final choice (see post #2 here) based on your own “risk tolerance” along with all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You are fortunate to live in the Dallas area because you have some great options to choose from both locally and online.

Phoenix