Shopping

Hi there. Found your mattress forum while searching the web for mattress info/reviews.

I’ve been sleeping on a sleep number bed for 7+ years. I suffer from chronic back pain, and am now pretty sure the bed is contributing! (duh??). This past weekend I slept on a Tempurpedic mattress in a hotel for 2 nights. I absolutely couldn’t believe how well I slept! I hardly turned over all night, and woke up refreshed and with NO back pain ( I toss and turn constantly during the night and almost always wake up in pain)!

So begins my search for a new mattress. I would love to move into a memory foam (I think). The only experience I’ve had was this past weekend, but it was enough to sell me! Was told the Enso is more reasonably priced than the Tempurpedic. I also have been recommended to check out the Boyd Natural Flex 935 (which I know is latex). My budget is not unlimited, though the investment is worth the health of my back and I will, therefore, be open to considering any price range.

I live in rural western Colorado with limited shopping (Grand Junction, Montrose), so will have to take that into consideration.

Any and all advice is very welcomed and most appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Hi kaymag,

The first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Outside of your personal testing to make sure a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP … it’s also important to know that all the components and materials are good quality so that you have a reasonable expectation that the mattress will maintain its comfort and support for many years. Lower density memory foam may feel good initially but it won’t last nearly as long as higher quality materials. You can see the guidelines I would use for a memory foam mattress in post #10 here so you can make sure that the quality/density of the memory foam is reasonable and won’t soften or break down too quickly (make sure you avoid 3 lb memory foam or lower).

Enso uses fairly low quality memory foam (3 and 4 lb for the most part) and the Boyd 935 only has an inch of latex in it. Many of the Boyd mattresses including the 935 also use what they call “engineered latex” which is polyfoam (not latex) which I think is quite misleading.

I did a quick search and made a few calls around Montrose and Grand Junction to see if there were any possibilities in the area and there isn’t a lot of good options that showed up that I would consider outside of the few I’ve listed.

Denver Mattress® - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, CO. They are a regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a range of innerspring, latex, and memory foam mattresses. They disclose all the information about the materials they use in their mattresses and are typically good quality and value (and certainly better than mainstream brands). I would avoid the major brands they also carry.

http://bcfgj.com/bcf/ Grand Junction, CO. They carry Diamond (a smaller manufacturer based in Salt Lake City) and they said they carry mattresses from the “bottom to the top” including latex, memory foam, and innersprings. While they don’t focus on mattresses, Diamond may have some better quality/value and they would be worth a visit.

Other than these, the better options I’m aware of would involve a much longer drive or an online purchase (although of course there may also be options that didn’t show up in my search).

Phoenix