Short list confirmation?

Nice site with some good information here. I wonder if I could impose for your professional confirmation.

We are preparing to purchase a new 100% latex split king adjustable bed to replace an 8-year-old 10" queen latex from Land & Sky. There’s nothing wrong with our bed. We just want larger and adjustable. I buy a lot online but this will be the largest sight unseen purchase I’ve made so I want to be sure I’m not overlooking anything.

Our current bed is firm over medium over firm but I do not know the ILD levels. I’m 5’8", 280 pounds and Sleep EZ recommends medium (30-32 ILD) Talalay over firm (37-40) Dunlop over x-firm (44 ILD) Dunlop. All layers are 3". I’ll probably bump the top layer up to firm. Other sites have suggested a thicker 12" or 13" mattress but Sleep EZ advises that thicker mattresses on adjustable beds can cause bunching in the middle when the bed is raised head and foot. He recommends 10" which is cheaper anyway. Your thoughts?

We’ve also considered Plush Beds and Foam Sweet Foam but Sleep EZ offers a firmer bed at lower cost with the option of Talalay for no additional money. Would you recommend more Talalay layers?

We like the Leggett & Platt adjustable base S-Cape 2.0 furniture style. That version is somewhat hard to find so we’ll probably have to buy the base from one dealer and the mattress from another. Do you see any problem with doing so? Coordinating delivery dates could be a pain but I also think I could set it up myself. Do you or anyone else here know about this base? We’ll be using two twin XLs. The online manual does not list a kit to connect two of these beds, though they do have a kit for the non-furniture style bases. L&P says the same kit will work. usadjustablebeds.com isn’t sure. Does anyone know for certain?

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Nothing can replace your own careful personal testing, and as you have a good track record with your current latex mattress, I would use that as your point of reference. It sounds as if you wouldn’t necessarily have a need to go with more comfort layers, and you already have a decent idea of the types of layers that work well for you.

When ordering online, you should always give decent weight to the advice you receive from a manufacturer, as they have the most experience with their materials and how they best respond to different demands and populations, and they honestly have your best interests at heart and want to find the product/configuration that they offer which has the best chance at success. Sleep EZ is a site member here, which means I think highly of them and the advice hey provide.

With adjustable bed mattresses, I usually advise to keep the thickness topped at 12" or so. SleepEZ again would be the best reference for how their products perform at different thicknesses on an adjustable bed base, and since you are already doing well on a 10" thick mattress, there wouldn’t necessarily be a need to go with more layers unless you thought that you needed that additional comfort as compared to your current product. People with a higher BMI in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal, so staying with latex would certainly be an excellent choice for the quality of material. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading, in case you are interested.

I’m guessing you have the Rainforest model, which used three 3" layers of 100% NR Dunlop latex. If that served you well, there would be no compelling reason to switch to Talalay unless you were desiring a bit more of a “buoyant” feel in the upper layer and wanted a bit lower compression modulus (it wouldn’t firm up as fast when compressed) as compared to a similar Dunlop layer.

No, this is very common. I wouldn’t have a concern doing this.

Do you mean connecting the legs of the units together, such as their bed link kit 4B7410? I’m not sure if the distance between the holes (approximately 14") is accommodated with the Furniture Style S-Cape 2.0 leg spacing, and the leg joining kit is not listed as an option in the owner’s manual for this model. The base unit doesn’t tend to move around much once in position (even on a wood floor, where I’ll recommend using furniture cups under the legs), but I would phone Leggett directly to get a correct answer if you desired to use those. If by “connecting” the beds you instead meant linking for operating in tandem, that is accomplished wirelessly with these models.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix, for your detailed response. Yes, our current Land & Sky is the Rainforest model. Since that’s all Dunlop, you’re probably right that I should stay with Dunlop even on the top layer of the new bed. I don’t want to feel like I’m sleeping on the floor, but I don’t want to sink in, either. I’ve tried memory foam (Tempurpedic and Serta) and hated that feel.

On the adjustable base, yes, I was referring to the metal plates to hold the two beds together. The 4B7410 might be right. I’ve found a couple versions so I’ll probably need to get that directly from L&P to play safe.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for confirming you have the Rainforest model. I’m in agreement to use that as your “template” and not deviate too much, as you’ve been satisfied with that type of componentry for years.

As for the adjustable bed, if you order the joining plates, make sure you’re allowed to return them. I found them available from multiple sites, but many had an “all-sales-final” policy. Just in case they don’t work. EDIT 4/14/17: Ray noted that Leggett and Platt advised that the 4B1792 kit is not compatible with their 2017 line and they are designing a new joining kit to be made available soon.

Phoenix