Short Listed Mattress Advice Needed (Ghostbed, Luxi, Oso)

I’ve been researching mattresses for a few weeks now and am very fortunate to have found this place. There are many review sites out there but most feel “impersonal” and opinionated to the reviewer. Here it’s cold hard facts by you fine folks and for that I thank you!

I have had a Sterns and Foster pillow top that was passed down to me and is about 10+ years old. It’s pretty much shot at this point and my lower back has basically revolted until I purchase a new mattress which is what started all of this. Some quick bio’s:

Height: 5’11
Weight: 180
Position: Back sleeper

I went to my local mattress store and unfortunately there aren’t a lot of non-boxspring brick and mortar around me. I did find one place that had tempurpedic. I fell in love with the Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze($3k). It layed cool and gave me the perfect amount of support. Unfortunately because they keep their design so tight lipped it’s been tough to find an online mattress maker that has a similar product. The location I was at had a “sleep dot” testing system that point me at a medium to medium firm with the majority of my pressure being located in my lower back.

I have narrowed down my research thus far to a few manufacturers and unfortunately since being here you guys have increased that number! :slight_smile:

Right now I am very attracted to everything I am reading on the Ghostbed including the price. The firmness appears to be where I want it and the airflow is very good.

The Luxi intrigued me because of it’s configuration options and the ability to customize it whenever the mood strikes me.

The Oso seems to be a perfect blend of the latter two however I didn’t know much about them until I came here.

Questions

1. One of my primary concerns right now is with the Luxi. The Luxi appears to have a firm option however the concern I have is to how hot is lays. I contacted them directly and they told me the SBT channel will help mitgate that but I am not buying it since to make the Luxi firm you flip it so that you are laying on the support layer which by nature is very dense therefore the tradeoff is going to be airflow. Am I correct of with the SBT handle it?

2. The SBT on the Luxi concern me considering the longevity of their ability to maintain structure. Foam/Latex mattresses in general are completely new to me so I don’t know if this is a founded concern or not.

3. With the OSO I have a concern regarding the soft/firm configuration. Anyone who has one do you notice that you are laying on a firm upper but your legs feel like they are in “mud” so to speak? Meaning can you feel the difference from upper to lower?

4. I am concerned about the materials being used by Ghostbed to get their price where it is. Is this a valid concern?

5. Are there any other mattresses I should be looking at that would give me the same cool feel and support that the Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze has?

Thank you all in advance for anything information you can provide!

Hi martoq,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

You can see the specs of the Tempurpedic Flex Supreme Breeze in post #2 here but I don’t know of another mattress that uses exactly the same design. I would also be somewhat cautious here because the 1.6 lb polyfoam is a little lower density than I would normally consider in the upper layers of a one sided mattress … particularly in this budget range (see the durability guidelines here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will also know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

You can see some comments about the quality of the materials in the Ghostbed along with many of the other what I call “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic and post #1 in the same topic would be well worth reading as well.

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

The “bottom line” is that the only way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP or how it compares to another mattress will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

I would be surprised if the firm configuration would be the most suitable choice for you because only a very small percentage of people would tend to prefer it vs the softer configurations they offer and this would be particularly true in your weight range.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Because the base layer is polyfoam which is generally more breathable than memory foam … if you were to sleep on the firm configuration then it would be unlikely that most people would have any temperature regulation issues that were related to the materials in the mattress although of course it’s always possible that there may be a few exceptions that for various reasons will sleep warmer on a mattress that would be fine for the large majority of people.

You can see my comments about the Luxisleep mattress in post #10 here and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern in your weight range relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress.

You can see some comments about the Ososleep mattress in the simplified choice topic I linked earlier in this reply along with post #2 here (which also has some comments about the Luxisleep as well). It would be relatively unusual for someone to use the softer zone in the lower part of the mattress but if you did the top layer of latex is a highly resilient material and it certainly wouldn’t feel like your legs were laying in mud (which is more typical of memory foam which has a much lower resilience than latex or polyfoam).

The “hand feel” of most gel memory foams will be noticeably cooler than regular memory foam and they can provide some cooling benefits when you first go to sleep at night but temperatures will tend to equalize over time at which point the insulating properties of the memory foam will become dominant. The amount and type of gel in the foam can affect whether the temperature benefits will last longer or shorter and the cell structure and amount of airflow through foam will also play a very significant role in reducing heat buildup in the material but in general terms … gel memory foam can sleep a little cooler when you are first going to sleep at night but in most cases the benefits of the gel tend to be temporary and don’t normally last over the course of the night.

“Support” is often misunderstood because the goal of a “supportive” mattress is to keep the spine and joints in good alignment and this requires the type of contouring support that allows some parts of the body to sink in more (softer) and some parts of the body to sink in less (firmer) and this will vary on an individual basis based on body type and sleeping style. There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “comfort/pressure relief” and “feel” and how they interact together.

Again … I would always keep in mind that the only way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Wow Phoenix thank you very much for all of that. I will start digesting this through the weekend! That is a lot to take in. For reference I am in the 12203 area code.

Thank you for providing the tools to help make an educated decision!

Hi martoq,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Albany/Schenectady area are listed in post #4 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and to any other comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

Phoenix just wanted to check back. After all the research and amazing information this site provides I believe I am going to go with the Luxi.

I wanted to post the specs I have received from their support.

[i]
In the cover:
3/4 inch Quilt Loft – Quilt Foam and 1oz. Fire Resistant Fiber Fill

In the interior cover:
3 1/2 inch SBT Layer - A proprietary 4 lb. Density foam architecture that offers air flow and resists sagging and body impressions.
1 inch Memory Foam Layer – 4 lb. Density Visco Elastic Foam
1 1/2 inch Latex Layer - 4 lb. Dunlop Process, 100% Latex (20% Natural/80% Synthetic)

In the base:
3 1/2 inch Foam Base Layer – 2 lb. High Density Support Foam

Total Thickness - 10 1/4 inch
[/i]
The densities look good based on your recommendations. I like the price point and flexibility. It meets my personal values. PPP is tough because I don’t have one locally but I’ve followed along. I have 2 questions at this point.

1. Do you see any issues with the specs listed above?

2. Do you know much about the dunlop 80/20 latex that they use? I haven’t seen this one.

Hi martoq,

Thanks for posting the specs they gave you.

They are the same as the specs they gave another member of the forum (see post #9 here) except they told you the density of the base foam is 2.0 lb density and they told them it was 1.8 lb density so I don’t know which of them is correct (although it’s also possible that they changed it since the other member’s post as well). Either way it wouldn’t make a meaningful difference in your BMI range.

There are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress or that would be a reason for concern for those that have a BMI under 30 although I would add a slight caution if your BMI is about 30 or higher (which you aren’t so it wouldn’t be relevant to you).

I don’t know who makes it but any type or blend of latex (either Dunlop or Talalay and made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) would be a good quality and durable material relative to other types of foam materials and any type or blend of latex wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

It would be a version of blended Dunlop latex and it’s possible that it’s continuous pour Dunlop made by Latexco because I know they make a 20/80 blend but I don’t know this for sure.

Of course like any online purchase that you haven’t tried in person the only way to know whether one of the Luxisleep configurations will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own personal experience.

You are certainly making a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. I will give it some break-in and post back my thoughts!