showcase feel catch-22

how can testing a bed , even when it feels great, be a good way to test (everything else equal) as we have heard all new beds feel great? 15 minutes on a new bed - feels great

also, is it true most hotels just recycle new cheap beds every 3 months

Hi ducksmack,

It’s certainly not true that “all new beds feel great”.

While nothing has a 100% success rate … with a local purchase and for the majority of people … careful testing using the guidelines in the tutorial (rather than just testing for the more subjective “comfort” of a mattress which often won’t predict how well you will sleep on a mattress or how it will “feel” when you sleep on it at home) along with some good guidance from a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests in mind will usually result in a mattress choice that is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and will generally be “close enough” so that if any fine tuning is necessary it would be relatively minor and involve different mattress pads, sheets, mattress protectors, or perhaps even a topper if a mattress is too firm (see post #4 here and post #10 here).

No this isn’t true although most hotel mattresses don’t use particularly good quality materials. You can read more about hotel mattresses in general in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

thanks. yeah so the local mattress independent player here gave me all these marketing lines…and others i have since debunked using this site.

good for you, that’s how i’ve been using this site. I alway find the cheap beds are the best ones, unless you have one that is a really thick memory foam - like 1ft thick memory foam

Hi cracklepop,

I’m not sure where you’ve been looking but that’s way too much memory foam for any mattress and I don’t know of any mattress that includes 12" of memory foam.

Phoenix

I have one bro. It might not be 12’, its at least 10.

Hi cracklepop,

I think you may be mistaken and I haven’t seen any memory foam mattresses that contain 10" of memory foam but either way I certainly wouldn’t recommend buying any mattress with memory foam layers that thick because it would be a very risky purchase. Most knowledgeable manufacturers wouldn’t make a mattress with memory foam layers that thick because they would be well aware of the risks of that type of design and 10" of memory foam would make no sense because memory foam isn’t suitable for use as a support material that is used in deeper layers of a mattress.

In any case our conversation is outside of the scope of the OP’s original comments and questions and the topic is starting to drift so I would prefer to limit the posts to comments that are related to the OP’s original questions.

Phoenix