Side sleeper need help with a new mattress

I live Fort Worth and I just came from the member The Original Mattress Factory. The guy inside was the delivery man so he didn’t have a ton of information to help me, so I’m hoping I can get most of my questions answered here.

First thing, I am 25yr old PhD student, limited budget, but almost done. I’m single, but I assume I’ll be getting married in 5 years or so. I also assume that I’d be buying a new mattress for my wife and I that would suit both of our sleep habits, but for now I am buying for myself. I am not sure if I need a 100% latex mattress. The guy in the store said the main benefit of 100% latex vs a latex:poly blend is longevity and cost. Cost being about half for the polyfoam. Comfort should be about the same.

Onto the side sleeper issue. My roomate has a tempurpedic, it’s a bit firm but I find it very comfortable to sleep on initially. I have a garbage old innerspring. With both mattresses, at some point in the night I usually wake up because my arm has fallen asleep and I do a lot of tossing a turning. Is there some way to help relieve this symptom through perhaps ILD, or do I just need to change my sleeping habits? The guy inside the mattress factory told me it was just my bad sleeping habit and a mattress couldnt help— but like I said, he was the delivery guy.

I know ultimate dreams by Brooklyn Bedding makes the plush 13" gel memory foam, (I have laid on the cloud luxe for 5 min, seems maybe a little soft but still supportive).

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice/buying tips on these following mattresses taking into account I’m budget minded(although I can afford all of the mattresses listed), I do not plan to keep the mattress for 20 years(most likely buy a new one when I get married in ~5 years), I am a side/stomach sleeper that wakes up and tosses because of arm im laying on falling asleep on a firm but very comfortable (until im already asleep) tempurpedic mattress.

Mattress King-size Options:

1). 10" Latex polyfoam from Ultimate dreams. 3" latex. Price $750, no shipping, get a pillow.
Amazon.com

2). 13" Gel-memory from Ultimate Dreams. Price $899,no shipping, get a pillow
Amazon.com

3). Mattress Factory : 10" Latex polyfoam with 2" of latex. ~$1000. $50 delivery fee even though I live less than 10 minutes away.

4). Mattress Factory: 10" 100% latex, price $1799, same $50 delivery.

I know it’s a lot to read, but I would appreciate any help you could give. Thanks very much!

Hi brandog712,

That’s unfortunate because I doubt that a delivery man would have much information about their mattresses. I don’t know the specifics of their mattresses other than what is on their site and for more specific details you would need to call them but I’d be happy to answer anything generically that I can. It’s also a good idea to always call any store or manufacturer first before visiting because with manufacturers that are smaller this can often happen … particularly if they do more wholesale business and may not be available when a customer walks in.

You’ve probably seen this but the list of better options in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is in post #4 here in case you wish to do more local testing.

Post #2 here talks about the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress. The main benefit of a latex/polyfoam hybrid is cost and that much of the “feel” of a mattress comes from the comfort layers. If you define “comfort” as pressure relief … then the top few inches of the mattress would provide most of this.

If you have symptoms of arms falling asleep or tingling then it’s generally an indication of reduced circulation or nerve function and is usually caused by a comfort layer that is either too firm or too thin (thickness and firmness in a comfort layer work together). You can read more about this in this article along with post #4 here and post #6 here. I should also mention that post #1 here also has links to some of the most important basic information on the site and the forum.

I’m certainly happy to talk about the quality of each mattress if I know the materials inside them but to find out more about the specifics and whether they may be suitable for your needs and preferences would generally require a conversation with each manufacturer or retailer. They are much more knowledgeable about the more detailed specifics of their mattresses than I am and which may be most suitable “on average” for different body types and sleeping positions. The mattresses section has lots more information about the 'theory" behind mattress layering and construction and different body types and sleeping styles but more specific suggestions should always come from the manufacturers or retailers themselves.

[quote]1). 10" Latex polyfoam from Ultimate dreams. 3" latex. Price $750, no shipping, get a pillow.
www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mat...ords=ultimate+dreams

2). 13" Gel-memory from Ultimate Dreams. Price $899,no shipping, get a pillow
www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Mattress-Ultima...ords=ultimate+dreams

3). Mattress Factory : 10" Latex polyfoam with 2" of latex. ~$1000. $50 delivery fee even though I live less than 10 minutes away.

4). Mattress Factory: 10" 100% latex, price $1799, same $50 delivery.[/quote]

To know the quality of the mattresses at The Mattress Factory I would need to know the details of the layering and the type and blend of any latex and the density of any polyfoam and memory foam in the mattress (this isn’t on their site). They can also make custom builds. Your own personal testing (using the guidelines that are linked in the “basic information” post I linked earlier) would be the best way to know how suitable each of these may be for your needs and preferences.

The two mattresses that you mentioned from Brooklyn Bedding both use materials that are unusually high quality in their budget range. You may also want to include the mattresses they have just released at their own site here which have exchangeable layers if you need to change your comfort choice after the purchase. With these your options are the other way around from The Mattress Factory. You know the specifics of the layers (which are on their site) but you won’t be able to test them in person so you would need to base your choice on the “averages” of other people rather than your own testing (unless of course you tested mattresses locally with similar layering that you could use as a guideline for your choice).

Both of these are members here which means that I would consider them to be among the best value in the country but when you are down to choices between “good and good” then the only way to choose between them would be based on your own “personal value equation” and which of the many factors that are part of any mattress purchase (besides just a comparison of the mattresses themselves) are most important to you and your comfort level with the different levels of risk involved with a local vs an online purchase. Post #46 here and post #5 here can help you make more meaningful comparisons and help you decide which is best for you.

While nobody else can tell you what to choose … hopefully this has helped you know how to choose between different options when they are all very good choices.

Phoenix