Signature Sleep Contour 8-inch mattress?

Hi,

I have been reading posts on this site for the past five hours and living in Hawaii have very limited options for purchasing a mattress. I am so overwhelmed. I recently purchased a Serta iSeries Alvani Firm mattress with the motion essentials II base and have arranged for it to be returned as it was too firm. Reading this site has validated my decision to return and never buy from a huge name brand again. Now I am trying to decide between an expensive organic latex mattress that may be very expensive to return if it doesn’t work out, since I live in Hawaii, or to just purchase the Signature Sleep Contour 8-inch Queen size mattress on Amazon.com which costs about $250 and has super high reviews/stars on Amazon.

Has anyone used this mattress and is it decent?

Thanks!

Cristy

Hi cristyhawaii,

Hopefully you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type, quality, and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer or the name of the mattress on the label. In other words I would make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can confirm there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress before making any mattress purchase regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. I would only deal with retailers or manufacturers that are both willing and able to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed choice.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

[quote]Now I am trying to decide between an expensive organic latex mattress that may be very expensive to return if it doesn’t work out, since I live in Hawaii, or to just purchase the Signature Sleep Contour 8-inch Queen size mattress on Amazon.com which costs about $250 and has super high reviews/stars on Amazon.

Has anyone used this mattress and is it decent?[/quote]

I don’t know which organic mattress you are considering so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it.

The Signature Sleep Contour is a typical “cheap Chinese import” that would use very low quality materials and I would be very cautious about any mattress in this budget range. I would even hesitate to purchase this mattress for a child and I certainly wouldn’t consider it for an adult.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and othe people’s experiences or reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Post #2 here includes a link to a list of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Hawaiian Islands (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) and some links to other topics with feedback from some of the forum members that live there as well.

If you are looking at online options then the tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include a wide range of different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of designs, firmness levels and budgets. Many of them also have very good return policies as well so you can try the mattresses in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your quick response. Yes, I had previously read all of the tutorials and information related to Hawaii posts on the forum. I now just read all of the posts in the links you provided in your reply.

I have come to the conclusion that some kind of innerspring/latex hybrid mattress would be best for me and that the ability to swap out layers of the latex in the mattress would be helpful for me in case I am not satisfied with the feel of the mattress and need to exchange layers, rather than being stuck with an entire mattress that isn’t adjustable at all and that I need to try to return.

I contacted Baybed mattress which was listed as one of your recommendations of local manufacturers that ship anywhere in the USA and received the following information about two of their mattresses that Dan, the person I spoke to over the phone, felt would be best for me based on my past experience with my recent mattress purchase.

I was wondering if you can comment on any of these for me?

First Option: Queen Size three layers latex/innerspring hyprid mattress $1400:

Medium spring unit with pocketed coil type springs, 950 total coils, 6 inches high

Three layers of natural talalay latex, 1 inch per layer, he told me the density ranges from 5lb for the firmest comfort level of latex to 2.5lb for the softest comfort layer. He recommended for me to have a medium, soft, and extra soft layer.

Quilted covering consist of 3/4 inch of organic wool covered in organic cotton fabric. Total bed height: 10 inches.

Second Option: Queen Size two layers latex/innerspring hybrid mattress $1100:

Medium spring unit with pocketed coil type springs, 950 total coils, 6 inches high

Two layers of natural talalay latex, 1 inch per layer, he told me the density ranges from 5lb for the firmest comfort level of latex to 2.5lb for the softest comfort layer. He recommended for me to have a medium, and either a soft or extra soft layer.

Quilted covering consist of 1 inch of polyurethane foam 1.8lb density covered in organic cotton fabric. Total bed height: 10 inches.

If I were to receive the bed and be unhappy with the feel I have 60 days to return any of the latex layers in order to adjust the feel of the mattress and would only need to pay for the shipping back to them, they would cover the cost of shipping back to me after exchange, which is something that I am happy with. Additionally, if I were to purchase the 3 layer option I could always rearrange the layers inside the mattress to adjust the firmness for example placing the medium layer in the middle rather than on the bottom.

Anyways, based on the above specs I feel like there are no "weak links’ in the mattress and just want to get your opinion on the prices quoted and anything else you can comment on?

Thank you!!!

Hi cristyhawaii,

[quote]I have come to the conclusion that some kind of innerspring/latex hybrid mattress would be best for me and that the ability to swap out layers of the latex in the mattress would be helpful for me in case I am not satisfied with the feel of the mattress and need to exchange layers, rather than being stuck with an entire mattress that isn’t adjustable at all and that I need to try to return.

If I were to receive the bed and be unhappy with the feel I have 60 days to return any of the latex layers in order to adjust the feel of the mattress and would only need to pay for the shipping back to them, they would cover the cost of shipping back to me after exchange, which is something that I am happy with. Additionally, if I were to purchase the 3 layer option I could always rearrange the layers inside the mattress to adjust the firmness for example placing the medium layer in the middle rather than on the bottom.[/quote]

This certainly makes a lot of sense to me. As you mentioned one of the advantages of a component mattress is that you can make changes to fine tune the design either by rearranging or exchanging the layers or components after a purchase at a minimal cost just in case your original choice is either too soft or too firm for you without having to exchange the entire mattress.

Baybed is also one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

[quote]I was wondering if you can comment on any of these for me?

First Option: Queen Size three layers latex/innerspring hyprid mattress $1400:

Three layers of natural talalay latex, 1 inch per layer, he told me the density ranges from 5lb for the firmest comfort level of latex to 2.5lb for the softest comfort layer. He recommended for me to have a medium, soft, and extra soft layer.

Quilted covering consist of 3/4 inch of organic wool covered in organic cotton fabric. Total bed height: 10 inches.

Second Option: Queen Size two layers latex/innerspring hybrid mattress $1100:

Two layers of natural talalay latex, 1 inch per layer, he told me the density ranges from 5lb for the firmest comfort level of latex to 2.5lb for the softest comfort layer. He recommended for me to have a medium, and either a soft or extra soft layer.

Quilted covering consist of 1 inch of polyurethane foam 1.8lb density covered in organic cotton fabric. Total bed height: 10 inches.[/quote]

Some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that could sleep on anything they wish to sleep on innerspring/latex hybrids (often a pocket coil) but of course others sleep on all latex or memory foam mattresses and when you are looking at high quality materials it really is a preference choice. There is also more about innerspring support cores vs latex support cores in post #28 here and in post #2 here

The density of latex is a “comfort spec” not a quality spec so it’s really not important to know.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Baybed) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with including Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … both of the mattresses you mentioned use high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them that would be any cause for concern in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress.

Of course your first option uses an extra layer of latex and also has a wool quilted cover which is a more costly material than the polyfoam quilting in your second option. Wool is also a more temperature regulating material than polyfoam. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of quilting materials in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

I would agree that both of these mattresses would make a great quality/value choice.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight range (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for all the useful tips and help in your reply. I decided to keep researching all the different online options to make sure I get the best deal.

I have a few quick follow - up questions for you:

Would having 100% natural latex rather than blended synthetic and natural latex just be a matter of personal preference and how organic I wanted to be? Or does the natural vs. blended impact the quality/durability of the mattress? I had someone tell me that blended latex was actually more durable than 100% natural latex.

In an all-latex mattress would it be better to have dunlop latex in the support/core layers than talalay? Or is this again just a matter of personal preference and trying out the mattress to see if it meets the PPP?

The tuft and needle mattress seems tempting due to the price point and the return policy but I am a little concerned with the materials they use. They say it is made from their own designed "adaptive foam’, do you know if this is basically just an unknown polyurethane foam? They say it is CertiPur certified but do you know if it is mainly made of synthetic materials rather than being a natural type of mattress?

Tuft and needle versus brooklyn bedding best mattress ever? Do you believe one is better than the other?

Any comments on the Ultimate Dreams mattresses from DreamFoamBedding?

Thanks Phoenix!

Hi cristyhawaii,

I would look for a mattress with the best “value” rather than looking for the “best deal”. While the price of a mattress is certainly one of the more important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase … there are many other parts to the “value” of a mattress purchase as well and unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that may be more or less important to different people. In other words … the “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to how it compares to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in your area or online (if you are also looking at online options) in terms of PPP, the quality and durability of the materials, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person may not be worth considering for someone else.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. In some cases blended latex can be more durable than 100% natural latex yes but in general terms latex is the most durable foam material regardless of the type or blend.

This would be strictly a preference and budget choice rather than a better/worse choice and both types of latex can make a good choice in any layer of a mattress. There is more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in post #7 here but the best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing or personal experience.

There is more about Tuft & Needle and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic and there is more about the foam they are using in posts #2 and #6 here. The comfort layers are a high performance polyfoam and their support core is conventional polyfoam and both of these are synthetic materials.

That would depend entirely on how you are defining “better”. Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

Having said that … The materials in the BestMattressEver (latex comfort layers and a 2.0 lb polyfoam base layer) would be more durable, and more costly than the materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress (high performance polyfoam and a 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer) but only you can decide which one is the best “value” based on all the criteria that are important to you.

Both Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are members of this site which means that I think very highly of both of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. (NOTE ADDED: Tuft & Needle is no longer a member of this site … see this topic)

Dreamfoam’s Ultimate Dreams line of mattresses include memory foam, latex, latex hybrid, and polyfoam mattresses but in general terms they are great quality/value choices that use good quality materials. How any specific Ultimate Dreams mattress compares to another mattress would depend on the specifics of the Ultimate Dreams mattress you are considering and on the specifics of .the mattress you are comparing it to.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you again for your insights and comments to my last questions, I’m getting closer to choosing the mattress that I hope will be perfect for me!!!

Yesterday I went to Slumberworld, which is the only retailer on Oahu that carries latex mattresses. They carry the Organicpedic by OMI so I just went there so that I could see how a latex mattress feels. I know that lying down on one for 20 minutes in the store isn’t going to tell you a whole lot but it did confirm to me that I like a more medium / softer feeling mattress than firm. I read your tips on how to test a mattress before going and tried to apply them while I was testing such as checking how it feels in different positions, whether there is any bounce, etc. I felt that the latex was really similar to how I feel when lying on an innerspring, I didn’t feel like I was sinking into the mattress at all, it had bounce to it, etc. So, I am pretty sure about my choice to have a latex mattress now. Especially because one of the most important things to me is the quality /durability of the materials as well as how natural they are.

Anyways, here is my dilemma, the salesman in the store did not have the ILD specs related to the softness of the latex on the comfort layers of the mattresses that I liked. I liked the OrganicPedic Lago Nouvea which, according to the salesman, is 100% organic talalay latex, has a 6" firm core, and 3 1/2" soft comfort layer with eco-wool/organic cotton quilting (about 1/2 inch on each side) for total 10 inches of height. The mattress can be flipped so you can lie on top of the firm core instead of the soft comfort layer is you want more firm feel. I really wish he could have told me the ILD of the soft comfort layer so that I can have help configuring my mattress because I do not think I can afford the Organicpedic line, as awesome as they are. I know there are less cost versions that use almost the same ingredients.

I also liked the feel of the Terra mattress, which again is a more plush mattress, and according to the salesman 100% organic latex in both the support and comfort layers. But again he couldn’t tell me the ILD of the comfort layer so I am unsure how to make a comparison when I go to purchase something similar online at a lower price.

Do you think I should reach out to OMI to ask for ILD numbers?

Thanks!

Cristy

Okay hopefully you see this before replying to my last post. I just called OMI. The salesman had things a bit mixed up. The organicpedic mattresses are 100% dunlop because that is able to be certified organic. They told me they don’t give out their ILD numbers but told me that for the two mattresses that I liked they both consisted of a firm latex core and then soft comfort layers of SCULPTED latex. This is something the salesman had shown me in store too, how the sculpted latex looked compared to the firm, I guess I can now ask if other companies do this sculpted latex technique. A little sad they didn’t give out ILDs but they said that ILDs are different between manufacturers and don’t help with comparisons. Not sure if that is true or they just don’t want me to be able to get exact configurations of their mattresses at a cheaper price elsewhere haha.

Anyways I will continue my search now at least knowing that a firm base and soft comfort layers work for me!

Hi cristyhawaii,

There is Talalay latex that is 100% natural but there isn’t any organic certified Talalay latex … only Dunlop latex.

It’s unlikely that they will provide you with the ILD of the individual layers but even if they did it won’t help you as much as you may think because ILD is only one of several specifications that will affect the firmness/softness of a layer and the mattress as a whole (see post #4 here). For example … if two mattresses have layers that are all the same ILD but if the thickness of any of the layers are different or the type and blend of the latex in any of the layers are different (ILD doesn’t compare well between different types and blends of latex) or if the specifics of the cover or quilting are different then they would likely feel different from each other even if the ILD’s are the same.

Your testing can give you a good sense of whether you like the overall feel of latex and whether you tend to do better on or prefer softer, medium, or firmer mattresses but unless all the layers and components in two mattresses are exactly the same (same type and blend of latex with the same layer thicknesses and ILD and a functionally similar cover) then it’s very likely that they won’t feel the same.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply Phoenix, it makes sense what you were saying about the ILDs so I’m not so worried that I couldn’t obtain any…

I just wanted to update that I have finally made a purchase! I ended up purchasing a 9 inch 100% natural dunlop latex mattress in a MEDIUM comfort level from sleeponlatex.com.

The reasons I ultimately ended up purchasing my mattress from them are as follows (not in any order of importance):

1. The high quality materials they use which are 100% natural dunlop latex, New Zealand wool, certified organic cotton, nothing else!

2. The fact that they are members of this site

3. They only charged me $200 flat rate for shipping the mattress to Hawaii whereas other companies were going to charge between 299 - 560.

4. The mattress comes inside of a zip cover so if the MEDIUM comfort level feels too soft for me I am able to flip the latex inside around so that I am sleeping directly on the 6 inch med-firm support core rather than the 2 inch soft comfort layer

5. The returns process they offer is amazing! They will arrange for a local charity to pick up my mattress if I am unhappy with it and refund me in full (other than the shipping cost). Other companies were requiring me to return the mattress and cover the cost of shipping (which would have been incredibly expensive since I do not have the ability to compress the mattress back into the small box it would be delivered in) and then pay a processing fee as well.

6. If I am unhappy with the comfort level they also sell toppers on their site that are very reasonably priced and in different thickness levels so I can easily purchase a topper to add to my mattress to change the comfort and feel of it.

7. They were very helpful over the phone. I had about four different phone conversations with Hannah and Addy. They were easy to get a hold of, responsive to my questions, and willing to guide me through the process and definitely seemed to have my best interests at heart. For example, I asked them if I should purchase the 9 inch mattress plus a topper and they told me that I should probably just try the mattress itself first as I might like it as it is without the topper and can always purchase the topper at a later date. They could have gotten more money and convinced me that I needed the topper right away but they didn’t do that.

8. The mattresses that I tested locally and liked the feel of were organicpedic by OMI which use very similar materials to sleeponlatex.com i.e. 100% dunlop, wool, and cotton. By talking over the phone with Hannah and Addy they guided me to choosing the medium mattress based on the mattresses by organicpedic that I had felt comfortable on when testing them in the store.

9. They gave me a 5% discount and sent me links to articles on this site related to good foundations/bed frames they recommend for their mattresses to keep them lasting a really long time.

I hope that my experience can help other people in Hawaii who want to purchase a mattress because it isn’t easy and the options are so limited in Hawaii and there is a lot more risk involved when buying online due to the non-refundable shipping costs. So, I just wanted to post about my whole experience here so that others can benefit especially if they live in Hawaii and like me want to purchase a mattress that is good for the planet (eco-friendly), and good for their health. I am really confident that the mattress I have just bought is going to be good for me health wise and I will definitely be back to post updates of my experience after I have received the mattress (estimated arrival to Hawaii is anywhere from 1/17 - 1/31) and slept on it for awhile.

Thanks again Phoenix for creating this site and helping so many people to make an informed purchase.

Hi cristyhawaii.

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback about your choice … I appreciate it. I’ve also added your topic to the Hawaii reference post I linked earlier as well so it will be easier for others that are from Hawaii to find.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi!

I wanted to return to this thread and update you with how I feel now that I have had the bed for a few weeks.

So, the bed arrived around 1/21 and was packed in a large box. It easily expanded to its full size after opening. There were no chemical type odors/off gassing at all. The bed is very heavy! So, you can tell from its weight that it truly is 100% latex and there is no polyfoam at all in this bed!!

I have had zero pain as a result of sleeping on this bed. This bed is firm but soft, if that makes sense… It is extremely comfortable. I don’t sink into the bed and I feel very supported on it. I’m so happy that the covering is made of organic wool and organic cotton and the bed is 100% natural latex. I can’t believe I got this bed for less than 1300! I am so happy with my purchase.

My husband also loves the feel of the bed.

We ended up purchasing a legget and platt platform bed for it to go on top of. No foundation or box spring. Just directly on the slats.

Hope this helps anyone else needing to purchase a mattress, especially those living in Hawaii.

Hi cristyhawaii,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback now that you’ve had the chance to sleep on your new mattress for a few weeks … I appreciate it.

While you can’t tell from the weight of a mattress whether it contains any polyfoam (and the law tag would be a more reliable way to know) … as you mentioned your mattress doesn’t contain any polyfoam or any other materials that would be a weak link in the mattress.

It’s great to hear that your choice worked out so well for both of you and now that you are past the break in and adjustment period … because of the durability of latex it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come.

Thanks again for the update.

Phoenix

thanks Phoenix, and yeah, I am joking about the polyfoam, there is no doubt that the mattress has zero polyfoam and is 100% latex. It just was amazing to myself and my husband how heavy latex is compared to polyfoam or other mattress types.

I didn’t even feel like there was a break in period either for this mattress, it felt comfortable right away from night one!

Very happy :slight_smile: