Signature Sleep too firm. Modify or scrap?

I recently purchased a Signature Sleep Contour 8" independently encased coil mattress (Site Moderator: Link Removed).

Unfortunately, it turned out to be too firm since I mostly sleep on my side. The company issued a refund and let me keep the mattress.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible, and worth it, to make this mattress side sleeper friendly? If so, please provide specifics.

2. Or, should I scrap it and consider a different brand?

FYI:

1. I haven’t had luck with foam mattresses since the temperature in my bedroom fluctuates. Meaning, the foam feels firmer in the winter and softer in the summer resulting in an inconsistent quality of sleep.

2. The bed base consists of a medal frame and wood slats spaced less than 1" apart.

3. Body measurements: 5’10", 180 Lbs., fit.

Thanks.

Hi fire_water,

My first question would be if the company allowed you to keep the product, or if they requested that you donate it to a local charity. If they requested you to donate it, morally I think that would be the correct thing to do.

But if the company allowed you to simply keep the product, you could soften it up with the use of a topper, and there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

The Signature Sleep Contour tends to be a typical “inexpensive Chinese import” that would use very low quality materials (they don’t mention foam densities on their web site or on amazon) and it’s not a mattress I would normally consider for an adult. But since you already have it, you may wish to consider keeping it and use a topper to provide the extra comfort you desire for sleeping upon your side and go from there.

Phoenix

PS - I deleted one link from your OP, as promotional sites and ones that specifically provide poor “reviews” are ones that aren’t helpful to the site members here. :slight_smile:

Good to know!