Similar mattress to Tempur-Pedic Coud Supreme

Hi JenHans,

You’re very welcome.

I would post any potential questions you have in this thread, making it easier for both of us to refer back and maintain context, and it will also be more useful for those who peruse this thread in the future.

Phoenix

Okay, after reviewing some posts I have narrowed it to the Kiss mattress by Sleepez, and the OSO. Both seem to have the higher density for higher weight ranges. The special shoulder and hip “pockets” of the OSO intrigue me, as my shoulders are usually slightly uncomfortably “squished” and my arms do fall asleep at times. The thickness of the OSO is of slight concern for our weight ranges…should it be?

I really don’t know how to make this decision! I guess that’s why there is a sleep guarantee.

Hi JenHans,

Both mattresses have the same amount of layerings above the support core, with the KISS having more “specialty” foams in those upper layers. The OSO will feel firmer generally than the KISS with the DreamCells under your leg area, and it should allow for more conformation with the DreamCells under your shoulder area. The quality of the foams would meet the minimums I would recommend. You are correct that sometimes people approaching a higher BMI do better with thicker layers in their product, but only your own careful personal testing will be able to tell if you like the feel of either of these products.

Both SleepEZ (KISS mattress) and Reverie (OSO mattress) are members here, which means that I think highly of them and their products and service. You are correct that each product has a good comfort guarantee (100 nights for the KISS mattress, 101 nights for the OSO), and your own testing is the only way to see if you have an affinity for any particular product, so when shopping online it is important to acquaint yourself with any potential return/exchange policy that any company offers just in case your purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you would have hoped.

I’ll look forward to any other questions you might have or any decision you make.

Phoenix

Thanks again!
I am going to try the Kiss by SleepEZ. Thank you!

Hi JenHans,

Congratulations on choosing your new mattress! :cheer: You certainly make a good quality/value choice.

I’ll be interested in learning about your experience with it once you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it for awhile.

Phoenix

OK, I’ve slept on the KISS mattress for about a month now and I have noticed some things that I might not be able to rectify. The biggest problem is that I get HOT. I wake up sweating only in the areas that are touching either the mattress or the latex pillow that came with the mattress. I am concerned that this means memory foam/latex mattresses are out for me because, from what I read, latex is actually usually the cooler of the two materials. So if I sleep too hot for latex, i’m not going to do well on memory foam.
Any suggestions? Is this in general true?
Other than that it seems a bit firm for me, and I got the plush model. My hips sink in nicely, but my shoulders don’t seem to and my arms kind of fall asleep.
Any thoughts?

Hi JenHans,

As you’re a warm sleeper, the only areas where I would expect you to sweat would be where you were in contact with your sleeping surface, as that is where you would be “insulated”. I don’t know what you’re using for your sheets and mattress pad/protector, and that is where I would begin analyzing, as in very general terms, the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

As far as materials and heat in a mattress, I can’t comment better than what I did in one of my earlier replies to you in this thread: There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. There’s a lot of good information in that post about sheets, mattress protectors, natural fibers and temperature regulation.

The KISS mattress uses latex over memory foam over a polyfoam core, so while using very breathable material on top, and as you already mentioned you are a warm sleeper, it’s possible you may desire something using more resilient and breathable materials in all of your comfort layers (perhaps no memory foam) or using innersprings instead of a polyfoam core. But I would still address first what you’re using for your top-of-mattress products, as those can have a dramatic impact upon your sleeping “microclimate”. If you’re sleeping too warm on a product like this (Talalay latex is more breathable than memory foam), switching to a memory foam mattress would more than likely have you sleeping warmer than what you are right now. How much you “sink into” the mattress will also have an impact upon your sleeping temperature. Sinking in more to a mattress exposes less of your surface area for heat exchange and also insulates your body more.

While I can’t diagnose comfort issues via an online forum due to the myriad of variables involved (both personal and from the mattress), there is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful. If you think you need more plushness with this particular mattress, you certainly could add some sort of a topper, and Talalay latex would be preferable (there are even some microcoil toppers now available), but the concern I would have would be you sinking in even more, which would further insulate you and could cause you to sleep even warmer. This is why I would first address your mattress pad/protector/sheets to see if you can find any issues there to help you sleep more comfortably. If you can address that and decide to keep this mattress, then you might wish to investigate a topper. But if this mattress unfortunately doesn’t work out for you as well as you would have hoped, you at least have a good trial policy and you can return it and you probably wouldn’t want to be purchasing toppers for a product that you may not be keeping.

From a distance, this is about the best I can do with your questions. I’ll be interested in learning about any top-of-mattress changes that you might be able to make and see if they have any impact upon your sleeping environment.

Phoenix

So I have about 3 weeks left in my 100 nights and I think I’m going to have to return it :/. I just sleep to hot. I’ve tried different sheets to see if it would be “cool enough” but it hasn’t helped completely. I am also not sure that it is the best choice regardless of the hot issue, as I still wake pretty sore. Honestly I don’t remember not waking sore so I’m not sure I can get there…
I might try the Saavta Luxury Firm but need to make sure it would be good for side sleepers and for people at the higher weight range.

Why do you need Firm, are you a back sleeper, Firm is for heavier builds as well.

It has taken me 2 years to get it right and Firm near wrecked my back, I am a side sleeper.

Hi JenHans,

Thanks for the update. I’m sorry that the KISS isn’t working out as well as you had hoped :frowning: , but you were forward-looking enough to choose an item that has a good return policy. As we discussed previously, it may be that you prefer something that is a bit more resilient (not sinking in quite as much), or perhaps without any visco-elastic foam, and or maybe even using springs instead of polyfoam for a support core. Those are all things that can help (along with items I’ve previous linked to) with temperature issues.

Phoenix

Hi JenHans,

FWIW, I also liked the feel of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Supreme (non Breeze) and found the Sealy Optimum Chill Vivienne Medium to be very close in feel. I tried both on different days at the same store at different ambient temperatures. I found the Sealy had the same feel on both days. I’m also a side sleeper and felt a little more on top of the mattress (which I liked) with just the pressure points sinking in and great support. They seem to have revamped the Optimum line as it’s on special now saying “Introductory pricing”. However, I’ve read about durability issues with the old line on another mattress reviews website.

Hi ymaurice,

While I do appreciate your taking the time to post here on the forum, I would be cautious about taking your opinion of a particular mattress and then applying that to what might be appropriate for someone else. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for someone else to make specific suggestions based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance that can possible be more accurate than one’s own careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) which is always the most reliable way to predict which mattress will be the best match for someone (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress, and in many if not most cases personal opinions/reviews can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range).

In other words … reviews, “review” sites, or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

[color=black] Hi Phoenix,

I agree. I’ve read enough of your posts to consider that in my own quest :slight_smile: .

I just thought it might be useful to the OP as that was his original question : [/color]

[color=black] I’ve tried both his reference mattress and the one I suggested to look at and found them fairly similar (slight difference in sinkage). They are both made by Tempur (which owns Sealy) and the Optimum Chill Vivienne is less costly.

I’m also looking to find a durable mattress that compares in feel (to the Sealy in my case) and also find myself leary of reviews. However, I do find that if the reviewer has a similar weight and sleeping position it usually provides further information to help me narrow down my options. [/color]

Hi ymaurice,

While Sealy and Tempurpedic are now Tempur-Sealy, these are different products using different foams.

[quote]
I’m also looking to find a durable mattress that compares in feel (to the Sealy in my case) and also find myself leary of reviews. However, I do find that if the reviewer has a similar weight and sleeping position it usually provides further information to help me narrow down my options.[/quote]

While many people do take reviews into account of people of similar weight and sleeping positions, I will always caution against this (not just for you but for the others coming across this thread in the future), as there are entirely too many variables involved, including such items as differences in somatotype, weight distribution, levels of strength and flexibility, pre-existing conditions, differences in tolerance and sensitivities, level of postural alignment and tolerance outside of such, amongst other things, to put “too much stock” into such similarities.

Phoenix

Well I scheduled my KISS mattress return and am going with the “new” BB Best mattress ever. I am going to select the Medium comfort level, as they said if I find it too hard they will send me a complimentary 2" topper that then changes to to be the exact same as the Soft comfort level. Which is exciting!

Hi JenHans,

Thank you for the update.

I’m sorry your KISS mattress didn’t work out for you :frowning: , but at least you did have the foresight to choose something with a good return policy. I’ll be interested in learning of your opinion of the new BME mattress, especially your reaction to your temperature while sleeping on the product, as the breathability of the upper comfort layers is supposed to be quite good.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=69114]
The Tempurpedic Tempur-Cloud Supreme uses a poly core consisting of 5" of 2.0 lb. polyfoam, on top of which is placed 3" of 2.0 lb. polyfoam. Above this is 2.75" of 5.3 lb. Tempur memory foam, and this is topped by 1.2" of 4.1 lb. Tempur memory foam.

Phoenix[/quote]

I have seen two different variations of density specs for the Cloud Supreme on TMU, after pouring over tons of threads:

1.2" Tempur-ES
2.75" Tempur

and

2" Tempur-ES
2" Tempur

Is there any consensus as to which one is accurate? I do notice that the Cloud Supreme Breeze is listed as having 2" of each layer and wonder if that is where the confusion stems from. Of course, it could also be attributed to Tempur-Pedic changing their density at some point, as they did with the Cloud Luxe, though I’ve never seen such a change with the Cloud Supreme mentioned like it has been with the Cloud Luxe.

I am curious as to which is accurate, as it seems that a 1.2" ES comfort layer could be preferable to a 2" ES layer, for those of a heavier weight. What is interesting is that Relief-Mart says Tempur-Pedic modeled the Cloud Supreme after their bed, which would make the 2" ES + 2" Tempur combo make more sense for the Cloud Supreme.

At any rate, I am just trying to make sense of all of this as best as I can. I am 220 pounds and am heading back down toward the 200-210 pound range that I was prior to moving across the country and taking a lengthy break from working out. I have found the Contour models by T-P to be a bit on the firm side and worry about long-term comfort, especially with my wife being under 200 pounds. We’re now considering the Dreamfoam Sanctuary 13" mattress (formerly the 13" Gel model), with the 3" 4-lb comfort layer over the 2" 5-lb comfort layer. I don’t really want a 3" 4-lb layer, but the price is insanely low and the sleep trial and return policy are excellent.

We’re also looking at a discounted floor model of the Cloud Supreme. If the Cloud Supreme is 2" ES + 2" Tempur, I’m leaning Dreamfoam since there would be less of a difference than if the Cloud Supreme has a 1.2" ES top layer. If it’s a 1.2" top layer with a 2.75" Tempur layer, that means the mattress would possibly be more durable long-term and potentially suffer less of a sinking feeling over time.

This is all speculation, but we’re down to crunch time and a decision will be made in the next day or two. If we go with the Dreamfoam, end up returning it, and the Cloud Supreme floor model is no longer an option, it would at least have been a calculated risk that went the wrong way. Just trying to make sure I’m making the best calculated risk that I can. Once we go Cloud Supreme, there will be no recourse, as it is a floor model with no sleep trial. The nice thing is that it’s been on the floor for eight months and is likely to have been broken in fairly well, so we may have a decent idea of what it will feel like long-term.

Hi 560andrising,

From numerous reviews from other sites and on TMU, I seem to see that the version that is 2" and 2" has been reviewed more often at the end of 2018. Other members may have different more updated information.

Regarding durability, I would agree with your assumption of the 2.75" of Tempur transition layer, assuming it is a higher density, would provide better durability. It is always good to continue to track Tempur’s specifications, as they are very “close to the vest” about giving transparent information.

Thanks again,
Sensei

Oh, so Tempur-Pedic may have changed the layers over time. It’s too bad that they aren’t open about their construction. A 1.2"-2.75" configuration would make the Cloud Supreme a much better option for higher-BMI sleepers than the 2"-2" version. Thank you for the information!