SIMMONS BEAUTY REST

Thank you Phoenix :slight_smile:

I thought you had a specific reason that you didn’t mention that site.
In fact that site is my first choice just because it is the heaviest 3 inches topper.
They don’t have return policy !
I just received some real pictures of their 3 inches topper and they seem fine !

Now I have a firm Otis futon mattress
I like it, every thing is fine with that else temperature.
but I still don’t know a 3 inches topper can be enough for this purpose or not.
that’s why I decided to get the heaviest one. I think more wool = more temperature regulation.

Hi plusforce,

Just keep in mind that wool will compress over time and become firmer and that it’s not generally as soft as softer foam materials.

If you decide to purchase it I’m certainly looking forward to your feedback about how it works for you.

Phoenix

Oh
so let me describe what I have done before you wait for my review
I already have bought this one from sears.com
https://www.sears.com/quilted-wool-mattress-topper/p-096VA54050712P?prdNo=1

it is an Holy lamb product
but it is just 9.3 lbs
After I bought this I realized that maybe it is too thin .
then I searched and found that heavy one from futonshop.com

So if I see Holy lamb topper is not enough for temperature regulating I will return it and buy
that heavy one.

hopefully this week I will receive 9.3 lbs holly lamb wool topper

Hi plusforce,

The Holy lamb will certainly be fine for temperature regulation and is a high quality product.

The most important question and the main difference between them will be how they will “feel” and perform on top of your futon. Thicker wool layers will generally feel softer (although this can also depend on the specifics of the construction) but I doubt that you would see much if any difference between them in terms of temperature regulation.

Phoenix

You are right , Holy Lamb products are high quality.
But they put 9.3 lbs in a queen topper.

Futonshop claims that their 3 inches topper contains 30 lbs of wool !

I can not stop thinking about with just 100$ more I can get more than 3 times wool in a topper !

but maybe I am wrong and brand is more important than wight of wool !
I have to decide between 9.3 lbs wool and 30 lbs wool .
Is really 9.3 lbs wool enough to disconnect heat conductivity between me and my polyester mattress ?

I really do not know what to do !

Hi plusforce,

If the materials or type of wool in each topper is similar or the same then it would seem that in terms of material cost the futonshop would be better “value” although the method of manufacturing and the type of wool used would also be a factor. The material value of a product is only part of the value of your purchase though because no matter what the quality or material value of a topper if it doesn’t work well for you in terms of its comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then it would have little value to you no matter what the cost or “value” of the materials may be.

Since you have already made the purchase anyway then I would suggest trying the wool topper you have already purchased and then decide from there based on your own experience.

Even much less wool than 9.3 lbs is plenty to have a significant effect on temperature regulation.

Phoenix

Hi
I am not sure I can write my experience about Holy Lamb wool topper here or not
But for me it does not work at all. I feel hot on it. Even hotter than my polyester mattress.
I think because my body go down through the mattress (it is so soft) the contact surface becomes more
and I feel hot. I am not saying wool is hot. I just can say for me it is hot.
We have a Cotton couch . When I sleep on it I don’t feel hot. in fact it is the coldest thing
that I have tried up to now. It was the first time I tried wool. but I think wool is not good for me.

for all cotton futon I found these two websites
do you know some better sellers ?
http://www.buygreengoods.com/bedding/chemical-free-mattress.html
https://www.downtoearthhome.com/Products/?category=mattresses&product=futons

Hi plusforce,

Member feedback is always welcome and appreciated on the forum … even if it’s different from the norm :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this is applicable to your situation or not but in some cases some types of mattress protectors (such as the thin waterproof membrane type) or some sheets or other bedding over the wool can reduce the ability of the wool to regulate temperature.

I don’t normally include futons in my research or forum lists but the same “rules” apply as mattresses which is that a futon is as good as the quality of the materials that it’s made of. Post #2 here has a list of a few futon options but of course it’s not complete.

Phoenix

Hi. I am trying to figure out which wool type of bedding purchase to make (mattress topper and comforter to go in a duvet). What are your thoughts on (1) merino wool, (2) merino cross + cross mix and (3) suffolk wool? Those are the types of wool sellers said they use when I called them at websites posted by Phoenix (thanks for those!). Thank you.

Also, if your ordered any product from St Peter Woolen Mill, Frankenmuth Woolen Mill or Sugar Loaf Wool Carding Mill, please share your experience with ordering, shipping and your opinion of their products. Thank you so much.

I process my wool at St. Peter Woolen Mill and am very happy with them. They will do custom work as well as selling to businesses. Chances are if you call, you will get the owner Pat Johnson on the phone. She has been in the business for years and is knowledgeable and helpful.

Their fabric for wool toppers/comforters is an unbleached cotton muslin fabric, strong and affordable, but not especially smooth, at least not like a sateen or percale. The only substance they put on the wool is the surfactant to remove the grit and lanolin, so it stays clean and chemical free. You might be able to smell a faint sheepy smell, but only if you bury your nose into it.

I have talked with Frankenmuth Mill and they do good work too. St. Peter has a larger carding machine than Sugar Loaf, so their wool batts can be wider than a king size mattress vs. Sugar Loaf whose batts are only as large as a Full size mattress. While the batt size may not affect the comfort or functionality of the topper, it means that a King size topper made with small batts have batts pieced together somehow instead of being in one giant sheet. I’m sure a call to Sugar Loaf would be clear up how they make large toppers with small batts.

St. Peter ships via UPS and are pretty quick about the processing time.

Either way, they all know their business and I’m sure could handle questions if you called.

Hi SouthFL,

As diynaturalbedding mentioned … I also found that the companies I talked with were all very helpful on the phone and are great sources of information about their products or about wool products in general. While wool isn’t an area of specialty for me … I can tell you that the time I spent on the phone with them and the information they provided about the methods they use for their wool products and the differences between different types and breeds of wool along with different manufacturing and production methods was a real learning experience.

Different breeds produce different types of wool that can be courser or finer (firmer or softer) and more or less resilient (curly) that along with how the toppers are tufted and layered and how they are combined with different covers and manufactured can have a significant effect on the feel and performance of the final product. In general the consensus (which wasn’t unanimous but was close) was that breeds that produced courser and more resilient wool made for a better and more durable topper vs a blanket or duvet which can benefit from breeds which produce lighter finer wool.

Phoenix

Thank you for the responses. I had called and spoken with sellers before posting and made some more calls today. This forum is terrific. Thanks again.