Simmons warranty replacement question

Phoenix-

Let me start off by saying that I have read through all of your guides and many of the comments regarding choosing a mattress based upon the three P’s. Back in 2008 I bought a Serta pillowtop which was replaced under warranty by a Simmons of similar quality (crappy). After 4 years or so, the Simmons is now suitable for canoe parking. It has a 10-yr replacement warranty. I’m not in the place now to spend ~$2000 to get the 100% natural latex mattress I think would be best after reading your guides, but I can press for a replacement Simmons piece. My question is this:

1. Should I consider getting a very firm coil mattress with very little comfort layer (least likely to compress and brea down?) on which I can add a quality topper, or

2. Should I get the equivalent Simmons pillowtop mattress and try to sell it sealed/unused and get the fully latex mattress?

Both my wife and I are mainly stomach sleepers who occasionally but rarely visit the other positions. We bought the ridiculously soft and plush polyurethane foam on coils mattress based upon no actual knowledge of the errant ergonomics for our sleeping styles. While there is nothing I can do about that now, I want to correct the issue as best I can. I am in the northern VA area, if it matters.

Hi Hammie,

I’d start by reviewing the Mattress Shopping Tutorial if you’ve not already, the link is in the top right.

A couple extra thoughts:

1. You might want to verify you qualify for a warranty replacement. There’s a huge number of warranty claims rejected. If you are approved, then the question is what options are you approved to get.

2. As a stomach sleeper, speaking in generalities, you usually need a firmer mattress. Were budget a concern, you might be able to get down to a 6" mattress (e.g. 2 layers of latex, 3" each) and still accomplish suitable PPP and save quite a bit over a 9+ inch mattress. You would need to test for PPP, but the point being you might be able to significantly reduce the amount of material you need.

dn, thanks for the reply.

I did, in fact, read the mattress shopping guide, as well as many of the forum recommendations. I spent the better part of 3 hours yesterday on the forum “getting smart” on the options and how to choose. While I have not started testing mattresses for PPP, I am leaning toward a latex piece until testing proves otherwise.

1. I will verify the warranty applicability, but it’s just an issue of measuring the impressions. If they are greater than 1 1/2" within 10 years, then I get a free replacement. The replacement is usually the same or similar mattress of equal or lesser value. I’m quite confident they’d give me a cheaper, firmer mattress than what I am due because it would reduce their monetary losses on this warranty transaction. Obviously, I won’t know for sure until I apply, but I have already exercised the warranty once, so I’m pretty familiar with the process.

2. A thinner latex mattress is certainly an option to limit costs, and I appreciate your insight here.

My question really revolved around the feasibility of using a firm (perhaps as firm as I can get) inner spring mattress as a base for a high-quality latex topper to create my own budget latex mattress. I realize that all the layers interact, but if I am restricted to getting a Simmons replacement, I can either try to build a usable mattress as best as I am able, or I can get the most expensive Simmons mattress and try to sell it outright before it has been used. I would expect that I could sell an unused/sealed mattress for ~75% of the retail value. Am I way off base? My original mattress was ~$2200 back in 2008/2009, so if I could recover $1500 from it I could buy a budget latex mattress with the money. If that is wishful thinking, then perhaps trying to “build” my own is a better option. This is where I could use some advice.

Again, thanks. This forum is an amazing resource!

Hi Hammie;

Using a firmer spring mattress in conjunction with a latex or memory foam topper is definitely an option, and Phoenix has suggested similar in the past. It’s a fine enough approach for sure.

The complication is that it makes it harder to test for PPP, since you’re effectively obtaining the support layer in the warranty return, and then plan on adding a topper. It’s a fine approach, but when testing for PPP it’s easier and more accurate to test with the complete system. Ideally then, when testing toppers, you see if you can place them on a mattress that would be most similar to the one you get. The ‘risk’, if there is one, is you start buying toppers and if they don’t work out with your specific mattress, being as toppers aren’t usually returnable, you end up with a couple.

I personally wouldn’t want to be trying to private sale a new mattress that I possessed, but if you happened to know someone that wanted one, and you worked out a deal ahead of taking possession, it’s also not a bad option. The problem with you ‘holding inventory’, is that you cannot offer what many of the mattress shops will (selection of various options, shipping, delivery, setup, disposal of prior mattress, comfort guarantee, and very possibly the warranty is tied to the original owner and also may not transfer). On the flip side, you could get lucky and find a buyer.

Hi Hammie,

I think it may be a little optimistic to think that you can get 75% of the cost of a new mattress selling it to someone you don’t know without any warranty coverage but it may be possible to sell it to someone you know with a private arrangement to keep the warranty coverage “unofficially” (you would make the claim for them if there were any issues).

If I was in your shoes and assuming that the warranty claim is approved I would probably go with the mattress/topper route being very careful to choose a mattress that has the least possible amount of lower quality materials in the upper layers.

If you do decide to go in this direction then post #2 here and the other posts it links to may be helpful.

Phoenix

Thanks for your perspective. I felt 75% was a best case scenario, but that it was possibly achievable given a sealed/unused unit. Due mainly to the uncertainty of selling the mattress, I’m leaning toward getting the best firm Simmons mattress I can find and topping it. If the warranty is refused, I’m very seriously considering removing the pillow top from my current mattress, then topping that. If nothing else, it would be quite cathartic to cut the crappy, sagging top off of this mattress. :slight_smile:

Again, thanks for the comments. Excellent forum you’ve created here.

Hi Hammie,

If you do decide on “mattress surgery” then post #2 here may be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello all-

I am reviving this post from 2014 in order to make a positive comment and ask an additional question. With regards to the Simmons warranty claim, I ended up taking a replacement, which I immediately sold as used. I purchased a king spring mattress from The Original Mattress Factory in Richmond, VA. It has been fantastic for my wife and I for the last few years! The fact that it was something like $800 was even sweeter. If I had it to do again, I’d go back and buy the same thing.

Now, to today. I have transitioned from primarily stomach sleeping to more side and stomach combined. The firmness of the OMF mattress is now causing me some occasionally shoulder pain. I’m interested in adding a latex or other material topper to add some softness, but don’t want to fundamentally alter the feel of the OMF mattress. Also, I want to avoid heat retention at all costs. I already sleep hot and don’t need to add to that problem.

Any ideas?

Hi Hammie.

Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your update.
I am glad that you are still sleeping well and that you are happy with your choice :slight_smile:

It is great that you’re gradually able to transition from stomach to side sleeping as you mentioned. As you may be aware, stomach sleeping is the worst posture for your lumbar region, regardless of core strength. Those that don’t have a firm enough sleeping surface to keep them in good alignment could end up in a hyperextended swayback position that can cause back issues. You combination sleeping could be a bit more difficult to deal with (than when you slept prone only) since the different positions have different basic requirements. Since most of us fall in this group, it is important to choose a topper that does not subtract from the support and firmness you need when sleeping prone but that adds enough comfort to address the shoulder pressure points you are currently experiencing when sleeping on your side.

I’d make sure that you chose a topper is not too thick as this will cause you to sink too much into a swayback position that might result in lower back pains. Depending on the percentage of time that you spend on your side, especially if you end up choosing a thicker topper you may wish to use a pillow or body pillow placed in front and/or behind you that can assist with “locking” you into the side position. Also, be sure to adjust the thickness of your pillow under your head when sleeping upon your side, as this often has to be a bit thicker than what you would have been using when sleeping upon your stomach.

You are correct, something using good “firm” support with some comfort materials on top that are adequate to allow for conformation of your hips and shoulders tends to work well for a combo side/prone sleeper. Shredded latex toppers can “displace” more than solid latex layers and provide pressure relief with less risk to alignment. If you chose to look into this option some sources for different versions of these I’m aware of include …

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help guide you through selecting a new topper for your mattress.

Latex, in general, is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. A thin wool mattress topper also would have excellent characteristics in being temperature neutral. Additionally, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

At a quick glance here are some of our Trusted members that offer thinner latex topers,

[indent]Sleep EZ has 2" or 3" NR Talalay & Dunlop toppers
Arizona Premium 2" or 3" Talalay & Dunlop toppers
Luma Sleep has 2" Talalay topper and 3" Talalay comfort layer (3 firmness options)
Flexus Comfort has 2" and 3" toppers
Foam Sweet Foam Has 3" toppers both Talalay and Dunlop
Latex Mattress Factory 2" or 3" toppers
My Green Mattress has a 1’ Dunlop topper
Sleep on Latex has 1"-3" Dunlop topers [/indent]

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions and I or any of the Expert members of the site would be happy to asist you.

Phoenix