Simmons warranty replacement

We have submitted a warranty claim on our Simmons Natural Care Latex California King mattress and received approval to replace it. I am a side sleeper and he is a back sleeper (sometimes side sleeper) and really loved our bed until it sank 3" in the whole middle section. We can only pick current models of a BeautySleep, BeautyRest or Comforpedic. We had waterbeds for the 20 years before the Natural Care Latex.

We went to a store this weekend and found that the Beautyrest Black Hope firm and Ava firm felt okay but I am worried that we should be looking at the Comforpedic which the store did not have. We tried Sleepy’s and found Comforpedic Phenon and the middle firmness (no model name on their stuff) felt okay. Any advice would be welcome and if putting a 3" latex topper on top of a Simmons bed makes sense then any direction on which ones. We have up to $3000 (set price) in their lines.

Thank you!

Hi SideSleeper,

I’m sorry to hear that your Simmons Natural Care mattress didn’t work out for you and if there are visible impressions that are 3" deep then there is no doubt that at least one or more of the layers in the mattress were defective.

Unfortunately, and like many of the members here that have been in a similar situation, you are in a somewhat difficult position where you need to exchange a mattress at a store where there may not be any particularly good quality/value options available to you.

There are some suggestions and ideas in post #2 here about the two main strategies that you can use that can help you make the best of a difficult situation. There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase or exchange that may be helpful as well.

Once you have a better sense of how to approach your exchange if you have any specific questions that I can help with then I’m certainly happy to do so to the best of my ability.

Phoenix

We are planning to go out again this weekend since they gave us a time limit to redeem the warranty option. I am wondering if you have any opinion on the Beautyrest Black Ava Firm or the Beautyrest Black Hope Firm? The other direction is the Comforpedic line to try and get closer to our Natural Care Latex which did not have springs.

We went to Quality Sleep in our area this week and loved their pocket coil with 3" talay latex separate topper (32 ILD) called the Everlast. What are your thoughts on a Simmons mattress (not sure which one) with their latex topper?

Any advice welcome!

Hi SideSleeper42,

You can see the details of the layers and components of the Ava Luxury firm here and the Hope luxury firm here (click overview). As you can see from the guidelines here both of them have weak links in their design in terms of durability but the Ava has 5" of lower quality or questionable materials in the top layers and the Hope has only 2 1/4" of lower quality or questionable materials in the top layers so it would be better than the Ava (although I would normally avoid both of them).

While the Hope is a little over the edge of the guidelines I would normally suggest (no more that “about an inch or so” of lower quality or unknown materials in the upper layers of a mattress) … a mattress with a little over 2" of low quality materials may be about as good as you will find there but I would be very hesitant to spend more than your credit on a mattress that is questionable in terms of durability because there may be some lower cost options available to you that may be worth considering that also have thinner layers of lower quality materials in the comfort layers.

Latex is a high quality and very durable material so if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) on the mattress you end up exchanging for then it would certainly make a good choice. A good topper will also extend the life of a mattress underneath it.

Phoenix