Simple question asked to Tuft & Needle, Casper, Leesa, and Dreamfoam and their responses.

So for the past few years I’ve been looking for a new mattress and got lost and discouraged with the entire process many times before starting the process all over again. I have decided that a foam, latex, or combination mattress will be my next purchase and avoiding retailers is my top priority. With that in mind I asked this question to each of the manufacturers listed:
Hello, I found your site through The Mattress Underground website and I am intrigued about your mattress. I have decided that my next mattress will be foam, latex, or a combination. I was leaning toward a competitor or competitor, but now that I found your site I am further away from making a decision. What sets your mattress apart? ie. Materials, manufacturing process, longevity. Please tell my why my next matress should be a (Tuft & Needle, Casper, Leesa, Dreamfoam). Thank you for your time!

All of the manufacturers responded promptly and below are their responses:

Tuft & Needle
Hi JD,

Thanks so much for reaching out! I’d be happy to explain whats sets Tuft & Needle apart from our competitors.

Most of our competitors use multiple layers of foam in their mattress. Each layer is a different material. We strongly believe when you layer materials like they do, you lose the benefits of the layers you aren’t sleeping on. We don’t have hands-on experience with their mattresses, though, so for specific questions I’d encourage you to reach out to them.

The Tuft and Needle mattress is made of two proprietary layers of high-end foam, blended to our design and specifications. There is a top comfort layer and a bottom foundation layer. The top layer is the most important and where we’ve been working hard to improve the sleeping experience.

We’ve actually created a new material with the advantages of latex and memory foam, but without the cons. This new formulation provides localized bounce (you won’t disturb your partner), increased pressure relief, improved support and advanced airflow and cooling so you don’t overheat while you sleep.

The beauty of our top layer that uses this new foam is that it is more comfortable for more people. Most companies make different models with different firmnesses. We’ve actually developed a mattress of medium firm support which very few customers end up returning. Our new foam is our attempt to create a universally comfortable mattress.

Our foam has also been tested to pass the stringent standards set by CertiPur, and it’s covered by warranty for 10 years. We offer a 30 night sleep trial. Many customers ask us why we don’t have 100 night slight trials like Casper and other competitors. The truth is you don’t need more than 30 days to decide if a mattress is comfortable. If you don’t find it comfortable after 30 days, you shouldn’t be sleeping on it. Some mattress companies will only allow you to exchange. Ours is a full refund back on your credit card if you’re uncomfortable with it for any reason.

Price is also a big difference between our companies. Our mattresses range from $250 to $750, while competitors’ prices tend to be a bit higher. We believe we have the most fair prices in the industry. Most mattresses which retail for $3,000 only cost a few hundred to make. Believe me when I say high prices don’t mean high value in the mattress industry. We never run promotions or sales. We simply charge a fair price everyday. You never have to worry about missing out on a deal or searching for discount codes. If you buy now or three months from now, you can expect the same price from us.

Also, Tuft & Needle is the #1 rated mattress on Amazon.com with over 500 customer reviews. We’re proud to manufacture and source our materials here in the USA. Like I mentioned earlier, our low prices have to do with us charging a fair price, not using cheaper materials. We believe our new proprietary foam is actually superior to the foams used by our competitors.

Finally, we pride ourselves in our customer service. If you have any questions or issues along the way, we’re standing by to answer your questions.

I hope this helps!

Casper
Andrew Benin (Casper)
Feb 7, 3:29 PM

Hey! Thanks so much for reaching out!

The major difference between our mattress and Tuft & Needles / Leesa comes down to the material composition.

The Casper is three layers. The top is a latex foam that provides good pressure relief, high breathability and nice bounce. The middle layer is a memory foam that provides great contour and helps with pressure relief. These top two layers are critical in terms of creating comfort. Our base layer is a polyurethane base foam that provides foundational support.

The Tuft & Needle and Leesa mattresses are also three layers, but all three layers are the same polyurethane base foam we use—just in three different firmnesses.

Let me now how else I can help!

Andrew Benin
Manager Customer Experience

Leesa
Rainer Agles (Leesa Sleep)
Feb 9, 10:06 AM

Hi-
Thank you for you’re interest in Leesa! There is definitely a difference in Leesa and the other brands on the market; incluing the way it’s built, designed, and the way it feels. We build each Leesa with three high quality, American-made foams and zip them up in our iconic four-stripe cover made of a polyester-lycra blend. Our cover is lovingly designed to feel cool and soft to the touch, and features a seamless edge for maximum comfort.

Top Layer
Leesa: The 2" top layer of foam, Avena™ is designed to allow constant air flow throughout the night for a cooler night’s sleep. A true breakthrough in comfort technology, Avena™ provides better support than memory foam alone, sleeps cool, is inherently fire retardant, and is hypo-allergenic.

Center Layer
Leesa: The 2" memory foam center provides that signature cloud-like feel to hug to you sleep. Strategically positioned below the cooling layer, the memory foam is free to live up to it’s reputation of blissful comfort without the risk of over-heating the sleeper.

Base Layer
Leesa: The 6" foam base allows for a solid, supportive base that helps the Leesa maintain long-lasting stability both as you sleep and when you sit on the edge of the bed.

Our customers are loving their Leesa mattresses. The reviews on our site say it all!

Additionally, we offer a 100 night return guarantee for all purchases. First, try your Leesa for at least 30 nights. This allows your body to adjust to the feel of a new mattress. We’re confident you’ll love your Leesa. If you don’t, you have up to 100 nights to let us know. We’ll arrange to have your mattress picked up and refund your full purchase price.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any other questions, we are available and happy to help.

Have a good day and an even better night.

Rainer

Rainer Agles
Customer Experience
Leesa Sleep

Dreamfoam Bedding
Hi JD,
Thank you for considering us.
The biggest thing that will separate us from Casper is the amount of latex that is in the mattress. The Casper bed is going to have an 1.5" of latex. All of our beds will all have at least 3". Since we manufacture all of these beds you are not paying a distributor like with the other companies. We can give you a higher quality product at a lower price.
One of my favorite parts of our latex beds is that we can also customize the comfort level for you. We use a 1-10 comfort scale with one being very firm and ten being very soft. Don’t worry if you don’t know what number to order. We can walk you through customizing the comfort level. We can get you into bed that fits you specifically and not a bed designed to fit most people.
I know the term factory direct is over used terminology today, but that is exactly what we are. We build all of our beds here in Phoenix, AZ with made in America foams and raw materials.
I know it can be confusing trying to order a bed online, but we try to simplify it as much as possible.
I would love to answer any bed specific questions that you may have via email or phone.
Please do not hesitate to give us a call or send us an email.

There you are, I hope you find value in these responses and it helps anyone out there that feels the same level of frustration in searching for a mattress.

Hi Lumpy,

Thanks for sharing their replies to your question … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

There is also a little more information about how Tuft & Needle, Casper, and Leesa compare that is more focused on the type and quality/durability of the materials in post #3 here.

Dreamfoam is a little different from any of these because they are an actual manufacturer that makes their own mattresses and not a “reseller” and they have many mattresses available in a range of different materials and styles and firmness levels … not just one. Many of them also allow you to customize the firmness level before a purchase and with some of their mattresses that have exchangeable layers you can also customize the firmness level after a purchase as well.

How they compare with any of the “one choice fits all” types of mattresses would depend on the specifics of the mattress you are comparing and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

[quote=“Lumpy” post=48955]So for the past few years I’ve been looking for a new mattress and got lost and discouraged with the entire process many times before starting the process all over again. I have decided that a foam, latex, or combination mattress will be my next purchase and avoiding retailers is my top priority. With that in mind I asked this question to each of the manufacturers listed:
Hello, I found your site through The Mattress Underground website and I am intrigued about your mattress. I have decided that my next mattress will be foam, latex, or a combination. I was leaning toward a competitor or competitor, but now that I found your site I am further away from making a decision. What sets your mattress apart? ie. Materials, manufacturing process, longevity. Please tell my why my next matress should be a (Tuft & Needle, Casper, Leesa, Dreamfoam). Thank you for your time!

All of the manufacturers responded promptly and below are their responses:

Tuft & Needle
Hi JD,

Thanks so much for reaching out! I’d be happy to explain whats sets Tuft & Needle apart from our competitors.

Most of our competitors use multiple layers of foam in their mattress. Each layer is a different material. We strongly believe when you layer materials like they do, you lose the benefits of the layers you aren’t sleeping on. We don’t have hands-on experience with their mattresses, though, so for specific questions I’d encourage you to reach out to them.

The Tuft and Needle mattress is made of two proprietary layers of high-end foam, blended to our design and specifications. There is a top comfort layer and a bottom foundation layer. The top layer is the most important and where we’ve been working hard to improve the sleeping experience.

We’ve actually created a new material with the advantages of latex and memory foam, but without the cons. This new formulation provides localized bounce (you won’t disturb your partner), increased pressure relief, improved support and advanced airflow and cooling so you don’t overheat while you sleep.

The beauty of our top layer that uses this new foam is that it is more comfortable for more people. Most companies make different models with different firmnesses. We’ve actually developed a mattress of medium firm support which very few customers end up returning. Our new foam is our attempt to create a universally comfortable mattress.

Our foam has also been tested to pass the stringent standards set by CertiPur, and it’s covered by warranty for 10 years. We offer a 30 night sleep trial. Many customers ask us why we don’t have 100 night slight trials like Casper and other competitors. The truth is you don’t need more than 30 days to decide if a mattress is comfortable. If you don’t find it comfortable after 30 days, you shouldn’t be sleeping on it. Some mattress companies will only allow you to exchange. Ours is a full refund back on your credit card if you’re uncomfortable with it for any reason.

Price is also a big difference between our companies. Our mattresses range from $250 to $750, while competitors’ prices tend to be a bit higher. We believe we have the most fair prices in the industry. Most mattresses which retail for $3,000 only cost a few hundred to make. Believe me when I say high prices don’t mean high value in the mattress industry. We never run promotions or sales. We simply charge a fair price everyday. You never have to worry about missing out on a deal or searching for discount codes. If you buy now or three months from now, you can expect the same price from us.

Also, Tuft & Needle is the #1 rated mattress on Amazon.com with over 500 customer reviews. We’re proud to manufacture and source our materials here in the USA. Like I mentioned earlier, our low prices have to do with us charging a fair price, not using cheaper materials. We believe our new proprietary foam is actually superior to the foams used by our competitors.

Finally, we pride ourselves in our customer service. If you have any questions or issues along the way, we’re standing by to answer your questions.

I hope this helps!

Casper
Andrew Benin (Casper)
Feb 7, 3:29 PM

Hey! Thanks so much for reaching out!

The major difference between our mattress and Tuft & Needles / Leesa comes down to the material composition.

The Casper is three layers. The top is a latex foam that provides good pressure relief, high breathability and nice bounce. The middle layer is a memory foam that provides great contour and helps with pressure relief. These top two layers are critical in terms of creating comfort. Our base layer is a polyurethane base foam that provides foundational support.

The Tuft & Needle and Leesa mattresses are also three layers, but all three layers are the same polyurethane base foam we use—just in three different firmnesses.

Let me now how else I can help!

Andrew Benin
Manager Customer Experience

Leesa
Rainer Agles (Leesa Sleep)
Feb 9, 10:06 AM

Hi-
Thank you for you’re interest in Leesa! There is definitely a difference in Leesa and the other brands on the market; incluing the way it’s built, designed, and the way it feels. We build each Leesa with three high quality, American-made foams and zip them up in our iconic four-stripe cover made of a polyester-lycra blend. Our cover is lovingly designed to feel cool and soft to the touch, and features a seamless edge for maximum comfort.

Top Layer
Leesa: The 2" top layer of foam, Avena™ is designed to allow constant air flow throughout the night for a cooler night’s sleep. A true breakthrough in comfort technology, Avena™ provides better support than memory foam alone, sleeps cool, is inherently fire retardant, and is hypo-allergenic.

Center Layer
Leesa: The 2" memory foam center provides that signature cloud-like feel to hug to you sleep. Strategically positioned below the cooling layer, the memory foam is free to live up to it’s reputation of blissful comfort without the risk of over-heating the sleeper.

Base Layer
Leesa: The 6" foam base allows for a solid, supportive base that helps the Leesa maintain long-lasting stability both as you sleep and when you sit on the edge of the bed.

Our customers are loving their Leesa mattresses. The reviews on our site say it all!

Additionally, we offer a 100 night return guarantee for all purchases. First, try your Leesa for at least 30 nights. This allows your body to adjust to the feel of a new mattress. We’re confident you’ll love your Leesa. If you don’t, you have up to 100 nights to let us know. We’ll arrange to have your mattress picked up and refund your full purchase price.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any other questions, we are available and happy to help.

Have a good day and an even better night.

Rainer

Rainer Agles
Customer Experience
Leesa Sleep

Dreamfoam Bedding
Hi JD,
Thank you for considering us.
The biggest thing that will separate us from Casper is the amount of latex that is in the mattress. The Casper bed is going to have an 1.5" of latex. All of our beds will all have at least 3". Since we manufacture all of these beds you are not paying a distributor like with the other companies. We can give you a higher quality product at a lower price.
One of my favorite parts of our latex beds is that we can also customize the comfort level for you. We use a 1-10 comfort scale with one being very firm and ten being very soft. Don’t worry if you don’t know what number to order. We can walk you through customizing the comfort level. We can get you into bed that fits you specifically and not a bed designed to fit most people.
I know the term factory direct is over used terminology today, but that is exactly what we are. We build all of our beds here in Phoenix, AZ with made in America foams and raw materials.
I know it can be confusing trying to order a bed online, but we try to simplify it as much as possible.
I would love to answer any bed specific questions that you may have via email or phone.
Please do not hesitate to give us a call or send us an email.

There you are, I hope you find value in these responses and it helps anyone out there that feels the same level of frustration in searching for a mattress.[/quote]

After reading this thread and stumbling upon Yogabed I was curios to ask them the same question. While I have since decided to give the Casper a try, I thought I would share their response to the questions for those interested.

"After 40 years in the mattress business we know what people want: a quality mattress, a great price, free delivery, a generous warranty and no hassles. We also know what people don’t want: high overhead retail locations, middlemen, variable pricing and commissioned salespeople.

Our Yogabed offers 4 layers of foam (2 of the layers are proprietary blends) for a 10" mattress that supports, cools and provides comfort for 85% of mattress buyers; we include up to 2 free Yogabed pillows for a total sleep experience; in our mattress cover design, we have incorporated a removable Zip’n’Wash cover that allows you to keep your bed clean and fresh; and we offer 101 night free trial. Casper offers 2 layers of foam for 9.5" mattress and Leesa offers 3 layers of foam for a 10" mattress and neither have free pillows, or removable, washable covers or a 101 night free trial.
We have lots of information and graphics on our website to help with your decision and our Facebook page has links to blogs about the Yogabed and a link is provided below for Yogabed informational videos on YouTube.

Thanks…Team Yogabed"

Hi mville032,

Thanks for adding their response to the topic :slight_smile:

Some of this information is actually incorrect. Casper has 3 layers of foam in their 10" mattress but the number of layers in a mattress has little meaning because it has nothing to do with whether a mattress is a suitable match for someone and the type and quality of the layers are much more important than the number of layers.

It would also be very rare that someone wouldn’t know whether a mattress was a “good enough” match for their body type, sleeping style, and preferences in about 30 days or so and trial periods that are longer than about 60 days or so are more about marketing and creating meaningless reference points of comparison than they are about reality.

They also suggest that people are looking for a “generous” warranty and yet their non prorated warranty is only two years which certainly isn’t very “generous” at all.

Phoenix

My head is spinning with all of this information! There is a store in town that sells Boyd mattresses. I was a bit concerned, after reading your mattress forum, when the salesman told me that memory foam slept cooler than latex. I was all set on purchasing a Casper mattress to replace our lumpy, only six year old Serta. I was leaning towards latex, as I have severe sciatic issues, and am getting ready to enter the “hot flash” phase of my life.
My husband, who can get a good night’s sleep on the floor, is adamant that it will be a royal pain to order a mattress without trying it. With the trial period, I don’t see the issue. Have any of your readers had experience with returning a mattress? I need to reassure him that this would be easy to do.

Hi Bixler,

You will hear all kinds of misinformation in the industry that doesn’t fit the facts. I would be somewhat cautious about Boyd mattresses and I would make sure that you can find out the specifics of every layer in any of their mattresses you are considering (see this article) … and I would be particularly cautious about any of their mattresses that contain “engineered latex” which is just polyfoam and isn’t latex at all (see post #3 here and post #2 here). A forum search on “Boyd” (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

All the “one choice fits all” mattresses (including Casper) have a great return policy so there would be very little risk in trying any of them in your bedroom instead of a showroom because all of them make it easy to return the mattress (or donate it to a local charity) and receive a refund if the mattress you purchased doesn’t turn out to be as good a “match” as you hoped for in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

There is more about the pros and cons of some of the “one choice fits all” mattresses in post #3 here that may be helpful.

There have been a number of forum members that have ended up returning a mattress that they purchased from one of these companies and I haven’t heard of any issues in receiving a prompt refund from any of them.

I wouldn’t call the Casper mattress a “latex” mattress because they only have 1.5" of latex in the design and there is also 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam memory foam underneath this and then there is a 7" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core although it’s true that the top layer that you would be sleeping on directly is synthetic latex which would have good breathability and ventilation.

A mattress that sleeps warm for some people may be well inside a comfortable temperature range for others depending on where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range and on the temperature and humidity in their bedroom and the mattress protector or any mattress pad you are using, your sheets and bedding, and your bedclothes, which can all have a significant effect on sleeping temperature regardless of your mattress and in some cases changing these may be all that is necessary to keep sleeping temperatures inside the range that you are comfortable with even if one mattress tends to sleep warmer than another.

There is more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here that can help you choose a choose the combination of materials and components and the types of mattresses that will have the best chance of keeping you in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

Phoenix

We bought a lambs wool topper a few years ago., hoping to help with the heat issues and to (unsuccessfully) give a boos of comfort to our sagging Serta. I’m disappointed to hear that the Boyd latex bed was not really latex… The bed I tried today was exactly the feel I was looking for…with more springiness on top and the memory form support. I guess I didn’t need a fully latex bed…just the top or so layer. From what I’ve read about the Casper bed, it seems to fit that bill. My husband thinks that there should be no issue, because I really liked the feel of the Boyd. I reminded him that we also liked the feel of our Serta in the store, and it now has giant, people sized depressions. Considering the fact that I only weigh about 125 lbs, that seems ridiculous for a four or five year old mattress.

Hi Bixler,

The Boyd mattress you tried may or may not have had latex inside it depending on the model you were looking at. If you let me know which model you were looking at then I would probably be able to make some comments about the materials inside the mattress.

I would keep in mind that the Casper mattress and the Boyd mattress are very different from each other and have a very different design so it’s unlikely that they would feel the same.

FWIW … the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver is more along the lines of a latex hybrid mattress than the Casper because it has 4" of latex in the comfort layers. It also uses higher quality and more durable materials and is also a lower cost than the Casper mattress as well.

Unfortunately this isn’t unusual at all with major brand mattresses that use lower quality and less durable materials in the comfort layers which are much more likely to soften and break down than higher quality materials which is why it’s so important to make sure that you know the type and quality/durability of all the layers in any mattress you are considering (see this article) regardless of how “comfortable” it may be in a showroom or even when you sleep on it in your bedroom.

Phoenix

It is the Boyd 920. Thanks for clarifying the differences. I keep reading…but obviously not as I’m depth as I should… One final question…the Brooklyn mattress company and Dreamfoam that one can buy on Amazon…2 different companies, correct?

Hi Bixler,

The Boyd 920 is listed here on their site and unlike some of their other mattresses it doesn’t contain any latex … only “engineered” latex which is polyfoam.

Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam Bedding are sister companies that share common ownership and the mattresses from both companies are all made in their factory in Phoenix

I would also keep in mind that the Dreamfoam mattresses that are sold on Amazon (either fulfilled by Amazon or fulfilled by Dreamfoam) can also be purchased on their own Dreamfoam site for an additional 10% discount and you would also have the advantage of their 45 day comfort guarantee as well (you can see the details on the bottom right corner of the Dreamfoam site).

Phoenix

I’m going to be buying a BB also. Ill post up a review when I get a chance.

Hello,

We received our Brooklyn mattress about two weeks ago. We received a 5% discount for mentioning your page, and two, latex pillows (which are the greatest thing EVER!)
After going back and forth, I decided on the Medium. I know, after reading some of the posts, that it takes a few weeks for the foam to “soften up” a bit. I’ve been ill, so I’ve spent quite a few hours in bed. I’ve been concerned that it wasn’t quite soft enough for pressure relief. I contacted BB, and Mario is sending out a topper! If that doesn’t do the trick, he promised to exchange the mattress.

1. Customer service has been awesome!
  2. It’s REALLY heavy to heft up the stairs - plan accordingly
  3. I am hyper-sensitive to smells, and there was zero odor from “off-gassing.”

I will let you know how it goes with the topper.

Hi Bixler,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You may find that your mattress will feel more comfortable when you are feeling better since illness can certainly affect our sleeping experience but either way it’s great to hear how they are looking after you and I’m looking forward to your feedback after you receive the topper and/or when you are feeling better (which hopefully will be soon).

Phoenix