Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Looks like you’ve made up your mind and are moving forward. We learned awhile ago that when a customer has set out on a direction, they need to be able to complete their journey without undue influence. When you search through the world of futons, do find out about durability and warranty, as well as returns/refunds. Futons are not mattresses and are even more difficult to cross shop/compare.
We do want to caution you that your experience with SOL’s latex product may not be indicative of luxury latex products and mattress designs. SOL sells a commodity latex product at a great value. There are many other All Latex or latex hybrid mattresses that would more likely meet your needs, but they may be outside of your budget.

Have fun shopping!

Team Luma

It is going to be hard to find much that fits that excellent criteria for the price point in Canada. I do feel for higher BMI that having a pocket coil core like the Hamuq, or the Logan and Cove is an advantage over a straight polyurethane foam mattress, it will offer more elasticity, response and support in most cases.

The gauge of wire that is listed on their specs is also likely pretty good if the spring count itself is accurate. Sometimes having that 1/3 middle part thicker steel is a nice benefit for higher BMI as well.

Hi there. Thank you again for your reply!

All I’ve been able to find out about Logan and Cove’s coils is that they are 8 inches thick “ReCore™ Zonal Pocketed Coils”. edited to add Found this somewhere else…The gauge on the top and bottom is 14.5, and the middle is medium at 13.5 to account for zoning.

What are you thoughts about that in regards to my situation?

Also, what kind of coils would one typically suggest for a high BMI couple?

Ok, looking at mattresses still, and ran across a mattress with these specs…

Our proprietary top layer is constructed with a 2" blend of titanium particles and high density Cool Flow ventilated memory foam. Material density is 3.25 lb/cubicfoot.

The 2nd layer utilizes an exclusive “peak & valley” design to ensure consistent airflow and combines with the top layer to form a unique system to ensure a cool night’s sleep. This 1.5" responsive firm material has a density of 2.5 lb/cubic foot.

The 3rd layer features 1.5" of strut reinforcing technology engineered into high resiliency firm foam to minimize material fatigue and reduce surface compression. Material density is 2.5 lb/cubic foot.

The bottom foundation layer is constructed of high density poly urethane material designed to complement the technologies positioned above this layer. Material density is 1.8 lb/cubic foot.

Because it is available online AND locally, I can actually go and test this out first hand. Without revealing the brand(which I’m sure wouldn’t be too hard using google search), can anyone tell me how the specs on this mattress measure up? This is a medium feel, and has a 120 day return policy, and is available locally so I can feel it firsthand. I’m so confused after all my research, but from what I’ve learned, this appears to be a lower quality mattress, but far from the lowest. It runs ~$1k for a king with free shipping/free returns, and can be bought locally. I will reveal the brand later, as I would like unbiased thoughts. Thanks so much.

Is Oso going out of business or being shut down by Reverie. At the woebsite you get a cryptic message about them redesigning their bed. Who does that? Stop selling their product while “improving” it?

They giver no time frame when they will be selling again. What is going on? This is no way to run a business.

Hi droidx.

You can read a recent unbiased expert opionon and snapshot of Tulo mattress written by one of our of our Trusted Member experts ~ Jeff from Mattress to Go, and keep in mind that a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it and only as good as how suitable in terms of comfort/support that particular mattress is to you.

The weakest link in the Tulo mattress you are considering would be the memory foam in uppermost layer with a density of 3.25lb … which would undergo the most mechanical stress and would be the first one to break down. Generally, for each mattress, you are considering make sure to compare the exact specifications (such as foam density) information listed here to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

As far as the price goes, you are the only one to assess the worth and the tradeoffs between quality and price and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix

Back with a quick update. I did a ton more reading here and ultimately determined that I wanted a “firmer” natural latex mattress (or possibly blended, but not all artificial latex), but I wanted to be able to try it in person from the store I was buying from. Given our limited budget, the easiest option was Ikea, so we headed there this weekend. I loved the Morgongava, but sadly it was out of stock, has been discontinued, and it’s replacement (the Mausund) is not due in until July.

Instead, my husband convinced me to try the Myrbacka memory foam, pointing out that it was the most like our old, beloved mattress (also Ikea memory foam), and we ended up buying it. I know the Ikea memory foam is lower density than recommended, but at almost half the price of the Morgongava, if we get 6-7 years out of it, I’ll be more than happy. (Our old mattress gave us 8 good years and 1 not so good year before we replaced it.) And with a 365 day return policy, if we determine in the next few months that it isn’t working, we can take it back when the Mausund natural latex is available.

I know one night is not enough to say for sure, but last night was the first night in months I haven’t had any back pain when I woke up! (The Purple is crazy soft in comparison.)

I will update again after the return with Purple is complete, if anyone is curious about that part of the process. (I sent the request today but haven’t heard back yet.)

Hi GoodnightMoon,

Apologies for the confusion! You’re correct, Oso is undergoing a redesign of the products, and aren’t currently available. In the meantime Reverie products are available, which come in a variety of price points and models. Is there something in particular you’re looking for? Base? Mattress? Both?

Also, please stay tuned for OSO status updates! We’ll be revamping in the near future.

-Sara from Reverie.

Hello doomsponge,

Logan & Cove is made by NovosBed, as trusted member of this site. Without knowing more about the number of coils, diameter, etc. it is difficult to say how they will “work” in the mattress you are considering, but we can state that the 14.5-13.5-14.5 gauge configuration is firmer/more supportive that most hybrid mattresses sold online. Being located underneath 4" of foams, the coil system looks to be a solid design for higher BMI folks. Our only concern with this product design is the durability of the 4" of foams and compression of the high-loft pillow-to fill. If these foam densities do not maintain their firmness (IFD) and cell structure, you may experience body impressions. The 2" level of acceptable body impressions in the L&C warranty, Warranty Information | Logan & Cove, makes us a little nervous. All-in-all, it looks to be a solid mattress for the price.

Sweet dreams,

Team Luma

See, this sounds like the BS public relations answer. I don’t buy it for a second. This is not how companies do business unless want to go OUT OF business.

You don’t put your customers on indefinite hold. So something fishy is going on in the company and I wondered if anyone knew what was REALLY going on.

Was sold on the dream core and ready to buy one. The reveries are much more expensive for the same bed, no thank you.

Look like the sent Caspar my business. Good job Oso.

Hi GoodnightMoon.

While I understand your disappointment, oftentimes what it “sounds like” to anyone and what it truly is may be quite different. Each company has their own internal processes and decisions to make and may chose to keep things “internal” to maintain their competitive advantage. Oso through their sister company representative offered their apology for setting up any expectations and clearly states that they are redesigning the product and that while this is in progress the product (or redesigned product) is unavailable. Products get improved or come and go all the time and I see no reason to doubt their answer. In fact, at the beginning of the year, they informed me about their future plans for redesigning the mattress, which is also why they no longer appear on our membership listing. I

@ -strangerousanya

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :lol:
Yes do keep us updated and let us know how it works out for you once you have the chance to sleep on it for a while longer.

@ seanpatrick
I have deleted your last 3 posts (one word or one sentence):silly: … while they were very cheerful they were not contributing anything to the discussions in progress and confusing to anyone that might want to follow the discussion. I do appreciate the humor though.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I knew you would be the one to know which mattress I was speaking of, and I appreciate the link to the review. It is very informative. I just missed getting this mattress for 750.00 king size tonight, so I may wait as it appears to go on sale often. I still need my wife to go try it out, and if I can get 7ish years out of it for the price, that would be great. All things considered, if it does break down in a couple of years, maybe it will be possible to replace the top layer with a better quality. Personally, I would rather spend less than 1k on a mattress I can test that will last me a few years over one that could cost me 2500-3k that I cant test and would just have to buy it on a hope and a prayer. Personally, the return policies help, but I really dont want to have to deal with returning. Thanks again.

Hi droidx.

The price point would be another part of your personal value equation. While durability may be for a shorter time, you’ll still want to make sure that whatever you choose has good quality and durable materials that offers the comfort/sport you need for the useful life of the mattress. There is no magic “formula” that can determine “value” down to the last detail or replace “your best judgment” because there will always be some unknowns in any mattress purchase that can only be answered by your own long-term personal experience.

The 4[sup]th[/sup] of July holiday is probably your next opportunity for a new big mattress sales event.

Phoenix

Is that so? Tell me any other company that can afford to just stop selling their products for an indefinite a time and still expect to stay in business?

Your answer has “corporate shill” written all over it .

I hardly think that Reverie is a sister company. Definitely an overlord company. Seems like a Saturn situation, where the subsidiary was doing too good a job competing with the parent company. And so the parent kills the child.

One thing that history tells us with a fair amount of certainty is that the official answer from any large corporation is not going to be the truth. At the very best not the complete truth.

Hi GoodnightMoon.

The Mattress Underground is not a mattress review site nor a place to express opinions on the business decisions made by TMU members or non-members. Our website and Forum are for consumer education and information sharing on topics related to the purchase of a mattress. Our stated purpose is " to provide a source of accurate unbiased information regarding mattresses, their construction, the materials used to make them".

Regarding the OSO product “temporary” withdrawal there are a few things that we know to be factual and any other speculation connected with Oso/Reverie business decision does not help anyone and it is outside of the scope of our Mattress Forum. Reverie has decided to remove the current OSO product line from sale to the public. They have also posted a note on www.ososleep.com and have inactivated the ability to shop/purchase the product through their website. Moreover, they had the courtesy to reply to your initial post apologize and clarify things. Reverie informed TMU about their plans regarding their lineup redesign as being a temporary matter and consequently, TMU has removed OSO as a member from TMU membership listing as it has been operated as separate product/brand from Reverie. At this time we are not aware of a specific date when they’ll resume.

We recognize that you are not happy with Reverie’s decision to discontinue its OSO products. However, your opinions and speculation about this and Reverie/OSO’s business decision-making process of redesigning or “temporarily” discontinuing this product are not relevant to this Forum. Just like GM’s decision to discontinue Saturn, Reverie/ Oso’s decision will be gauged over time by the marketplace.

Phoenix

Hi again, and thank you again for your reply!

So, since your last reply, my husband and I have talked, and I have been able to nudge him up a bit higher to our budget limit – which is now 1.5k CDN. This means we are now trying to choose between entirely different beds (beds that are still Canadian made, meet the high BMI specs, etc.). I’d like to now post those three beds here, and get yout thoughts about which of them meet the criteria we are in need of in terms of our weight. Sorry for all of the back and fourth!

• Novosbed (Firm) - 2" High-Density Airflow Memory Foam (Density: 4 lbs/ft3), 2" High-Density Memory Foam (Density: 5 lbs/ft3), 7" Premium Support Foam (Density: 1.8 lbs/ft3)

• MemoryFoamComfort’s Presto Mattress (they are willing to give us a discount since we are less than a five minute drive from their warehouse): 2’ Organic Dunlop latex later (soft 20 ild), 2’ Organic Dunlop latex later (soft 20 ild), 2’ Organic Dunlop latex later (medium 30 ild), 4’ Organic Dunlop latex later (firm 40 ild). Layers can be rearranged to tailor to needs.

• Sleepboutique.ca’s custom Orchid Mattress (what follows is their suggestion of how it ought to be built based off the high BMI spec I gave them…): 2 to 2.5 HR foam with the Memory foam, but in a configuration that allows you to flip, rotate and replace the components. This way when the memory foam breaks down, you can just replace it instead of the entire mattress. Additionally, 6 inches of 2lb and 2 inches of 5lb foam.

Again, thank you. <3

Hello doomsponge,

If you pick up the mattress at our Delta plant we can give you a 200$ discount.

Good luck in your mattress shopping!

All the best

https://www.brooklynbedding.com/products/mattresses/brooklyn-bowery/

What do you think of these beds?
Comfort layer: 2" of 3.0lb gel memory
Mid: 2" of their engineered foam
Support layer: 6" 2.0lb

I’ve also been looking at Lucid. Been hard to find info on these however…
https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Queen-Hybrid-Mattress/dp/B0774YTYF7?th=1
Hybrid

I’m 175lb. Mostly side/stomach sleeper. Male.

Thanks!

Well they certainly replied to my initial message but they clarified nothing, it was more of their corporate doublespeak and simply repeating verbatim the information on their website.

It would seem to me of this move is genuinely temporary then there be no need to remove Oso’s membership. That seems more like a permanent move to me.

I get it that you need to be nice to your corporate masters because this website depends upon them for it survival, so you can’t go rocking the boat which means that I don’t really trust that any information here is actually unbiased.

I along with many of your civilian members have spent a lifetime being lied to, taken advantage of, and out right defrauded by big businesses. I simply don’t trust any of the answers that I would get from them, and any truly unbiased website cannot be in partnership with them. They simply only ever care about their bottom line.

I haven’t really taken the time to investigate who actually owns this website but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being one of the big mattress companies. It is sufficient for me to know I will receive no actual answers here nor can I trust any of the information presented to me.

Hi jaywood1.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Hopefully, you’ve read the Mattress Shopping Tutorial post which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices, learn how to avoid the worst ones.

I don’t know where you obtained the information you listed above but the layering and specs on their own site are very different then what you have.
They list in this order from top to bottom 3" Energex foam (density unknown) / 2" foam layer (density unknown) / 5" HD foam (density unknown)
If you manage to find the complete specs I’d be happy to comment upon the mattress that you are considering.

You are correct that Lucid does not provide any meaningful information about the specs contained within their mattress, but you may wish to do a quick search on our forum Search our forum with the key term “Lucid” which will bring up more comments about it. You may also wish to keep in mind that were a few issues with the covers that that were discussed In this thread here

The quality of the materials in the top 3" - 6" or so of a mattress will have the biggest effect on durability but durability will also depend on your weight and the other factors involved in the relative durability and useful life of a mattress (see post #4 here and the posts it links to).
In your research for a mattress, I’d make sure that you know the specifics of all the layers so you can identify any weak links and make sure that it uses the highest quality materials that are available in your budget range. The information you would need to identify any weak links and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of durability is in post #4 here. When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Hopefully, you can take some time to read through this information which will help to give you a good start in your mattress research.

Phoenix