Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hi sirk,
I will vote for ultimate dreams eurotop latex mattress, cuz it provides very convenient conditions for sleep for me, a good, solid option to pick.

[quote=“strangerousanya” post=77421][color=black]Hello! New poster here, so apologies if I’m not posting in the right place. After reading as much as I could on this website, we ordered an original Purple mattress (2" of purple stuff, foam below; NOT the new one with springs) about 2 months ago, but it’s not working out. We’ve still got a month left on our trial period so I thought I’d ask for some recommendations before I returned the Purple and blindly ordered a different brand.

The Purple seemed comfortable at first, but is a little too soft and I am quite achy when I wake up every morning. It also runs hotter than our old mattress.

We both alternate between side and back sleeping, are both late 30s, and are both on the short side but around 200lbs ea. Old mattress was one of the higher-end Ikea mattresses (latex and memory foam, I believe), we had it for 9 years and loved it but it developed significant craters and was no longer supportive. They don’t make that particular mattress any more, and we didn’t like any of the current Ikea mattresses (too firm or too soft, nothing in the middle).

Other than the Purple, we had also considered the OSO, the KISS, and the Sedona. I would also consider going with one of the firmer Ikea mattresses and adding a topper, since we liked our previous one so much. Would like to stay under $1200 for a king. We don’t need a box spring; we have a slatted-base platform bed. Any suggestions are appreciated!
[/color][/quote]
Wow - this is literally my journey almost exactly.

Been on a very firm IKEA Sultan Forsbaka that we got back probably in 2003/2004 and have added a 2" memory foam topper along the way. Mattress looks to be about 2-3" of latex top and bottom with maybe 4" of support foam in the middle. Ours has finally developed the craters we can’t roll out of as well. Lately has been giving me back pain that wakes me up.

Tried a purple but wife hated it and I was less impressed but it was workable. Definitely softer than we wanted and too much sinking. Returned that.

We looked at IKEA again recently and saw their medium/firm latex but didn’t want to get locked into them with no real option to get out of IKEA if we didn’t like it. Was close to what we wanted but not quite there.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a SOL firm king and hoping that it will provide the support we are looking for. Sales tried to convince us medium firm was the way to go, but all indications are we are in the minority that likes a genuinely firm mattress.

My wife and I both agree we want something more firm than our last mattress. We had a memory foam bed that I honestly hated from the start. We are both side sleepers, any idea if that is that worse for with mattresses?

Hi Sethstina (also, Mattressseeker541 this should help answer your similar inquiry!),

It sounds like you have tried and liked latex, however the durability of your IKEA mattress did not hold up over time.

It may be helpful for you to find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative durability and useful life of a mattress.

We sell 100% Natural latex which has a 30 year warranty. It is important to choose the firmness of your mattress based on personal preference but also your height and weight. If you let me know your approximate height/weight, sleeping preference (side, back, stomach), and if you have any pain or injuries that affect your sleep, I can let you know what I would recommend for choosing latex layers to fit your needs. At Foam Sweet Foam, we sincerely believe that one size does not fit all, so this information is helpful for us to recommend specific layers of firmness for you to sleep comfortably but also receive support each night. We carry layers that range from Soft all the way to a XXFirm, with ILD’s of approximately 18 up to 63.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

FSF Team

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/40660/128x84_fsf_logo.jpg

Hi Phoenix,

Just purchased the Luxi One and hopefully it’ll go well with the new adjustable bed from Sealy. A little update on my Sleep On Latex mattress, it’s been a few weeks now but I’m still waking up with back pains. Could be due to the way I sleep or that my old mattress really did a number on my back. I will be keeping the mattress since I do feel comfortable going to sleep on it plus they were nice enough to send me some free pillows for the whole shipping fiasco.

Hi datwundude.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

I am glad you decided on a product from Luxi Sleep… you certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’d be curious to know which of the two options you were considering you selected As you already know they are one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

As far as the cause of back pains goes … it could be both and more .… in general, issues with “pain” in the morning tend to be more alignment (deep support) related and issues with “pain” earlier in the night tend to be surface comfort related, As you are comfortable going to sleep on your SOL mattress you may just simply be lacking the deep support that you need to be in neutral alignment, but this is just a generalization as when it comes to pains there are far too many interrelated variables and it is difficult to pinpoint the cause. I don’t have enough information about your body type, sleeping positions or more specific descriptions of your symptoms or what parts of your body you are experiencing them to make any meaningful comments but the first step is always to determine whether your “symptoms” are from pressure issues, alignment issues, or “feel” issues … all of which could have different solutions.

Some of the forum posts that talk about fine-tuning a mattress and may help you recognize or “diagnose” the underlying cause of different types of “symptoms”, pain, or discomfort that may be connected to a mattress include … Post #2 (this is the primary reference post for different “symptoms” that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress) Post #45 (this is particularly worth reading as well) Post #2 and Post #6 here and also a Post #6 here talks about lower back pains in the morning.

I hope that this information helps you out and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received your new Luxi Sleep mattres and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi, I’m new here and not sure if this is the right topic to post to or if it would be better suited in its own topic. I spoke with Novosbed recently and they informed me that they have updated their materials in their mattresses:

Soft:

1" - 3.7lb / 8 IFD - 5th generation high-density gel visco-elastic memory foam

1" - 1.95 lb / 9 IFD - 5th generation premium airflow foam

2" - Plush 2.5lb / 12IFD - 5th generation open-cell pneumatic memory foam

7" - 1.75 lb / 32 IFD - Premium support foam

Medium:

1" - 1.95 lb / 9 IFD - 5th generation premium airflow foam

1" - 4 lb / 11 IFD - 5th-Generation high-density visco-elastic memory foam

2" - 4 lb / 11 IFD - 5th-Generation high-density visco-elastic memory foam

7" - 1.75 lb / 32 IFD - Premium support foam

Firm:

2" - 2.5lb / 22 IFD - 5th generation open-cell pneumatic memory foam

1" - 2.5lb / 22 IFD - 5th generation open-cell pneumatic memory foam

1" - 4 lb / 11 IFD - 5th-Generation high-density visco-elastic memory foam

7" - 1.75 lb / 38 IFD - Premium support foam

I was specifically interested in the medium and the rep told me that it’s a bit more soft compared to their previous model which was considered medium-firm. They new one is still medium firmness but is considered a medium-soft closer to a 5/10 on the firmness scale. She also mentioned the new mattresses include newer technology for better breathability and responsiveness and are manufactured in Canada.

I was wondering what you thought of these changes Phoenix? It seems like the usage of less dense materials is a cost cutting measure and would impact the durability of mattress overall but I’m no expert :slight_smile:

Hi Caeser.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am not sure of the reasoning behind the change in materials for the new reworked Novosbed mattress,… but generally sometimes this can be connected with improving the mattress design and features based on accumulated consumer feedback, sometimes it can be a “cost-cutting measure” by some companies to increase their profit margins or even to keep up with the price increase in the cost of the raw materials. Based on the information you provided … the reworked Novosbed modified the mattress specifications. For the “side-by-side” comparison with the discontinued version here are the specs of the medium firmness option that you are interested in

Discontinued Novosbed version (As of August 2018) / Medium firmness choice

[indent]2" Ultra-Dense Airflow Memory Foam (Density: 5 lbs/ft3)
2" Ultra-Dense Memory Foam (Density: 5 lbs/ft3)
7" Premium Support Foam (Density: 1.8 lbs/ft3) [/indent]

With the new version I would certainly place a caution for higher weights sleepers and include any 4 lb memory foam or 1.8 lb polyfoam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI) and wouldn’t consider more than a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the comfort layers. As mentioned many times on this site, regardless of the name used for a foam, you’d always want to compare the information listed here to the durability guidelines here.

As far as the “open-cell pneumatic memory foam” in the firm mattress option this would usually refer to the delay time in the re-expansion of the foam that occurs in most foams with a relatively closed cell structure as the air needs time to flow back into it after compression. This is referred to as “The Pneumatic effect” of the foam. You can read more about it in this article here and a description of pneumatic foams directly on Carpenter website here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to say that although this my second post here I’ve been lurking and soaking up all the information that this site and forum has to offer. In an industry that’s confusing as heck you’ve made it a lot easier for the average consumer to make an informed choice. So thank you!

HI Caeser.

You are very welcome! Glad to be of help. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

purchased the luxi one it will go well, with the adjustable bed from .i purchased one month before.

Hi homelooksgood.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

It seems that you did not use TMU discount code for your purchase. I hope you got an equivalent discount. :slight_smile:

As you’re aware, you chose something from a site member here using high quality and durable materials. I hope you can post back about your mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on the Fleep mattress that allows you to sleep on either side for a firm or soft feel. The mattress specs are:

On the firm ‘n perfect side, perforated instant response foam (2 in.) : 4.5 pcf
Dense therapeutic foam adjusted to provide soft comfort (4 in.) : 1.8 pcf
Dense therapeutic foam adjusted to provide firm comfort (2 in.) : 1.8 pcf
On the soft ‘n perfect side, perforated gel-infused memory foam (2 in.) : 4.0 pcf

It seems like there are no weak links, but seeing as the mattress can be used on either side is there anything extra that should be taken into consideration? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

I had a somewhat unexpected change of situation since I posted on the other thread concerning tempurpedics and christeli. I know longer need a king so it opens up my prices a bit. I also only have to consider my weight which is 120 to hopefully 130 in the future. So after realizing that the christeli was 3lbs and a bed in box, I have opened my mind to other online dealers and maybe even latex. I have a friend who bought a bed boss bed locally. im aware of the needed caution w/ that brand and have emailed them about densities included the density of the base. I saw lots of info online and here about the memory foam density but not sure if it is old info so I want to make sure.

I saw this post… SleepEZ has several options here
Arizona Premium Mattress has some options here and here and here
Luma Sleep has a Talalay/Innerspring mattress here
Flexus has a dual sided and dual firmness latex mattress here .
My Green Mattress has an all latex and a latex/pocket coil hybrid here
Sleep On Latex has two latex mattresses here .
Sedona Sleep has a two piece polyfoam/Talalay latex base mattress/topper combination here
Latex Mattress Factory has a 7" latex mattress here …

I was wondering if one, if anyone has found any of the mattress in a physical store or if anyone knows of a store that carries something similar so that I might try the latex feel. I see lots of online memory foam and latex mattress but its all becoming overwhelming. I still have the option of the things I mentioned in the other thread but I really don’t want a king now and that’s what was available at the time. There is a floor model temp that I might consider but I would rather spend less or at least have money back or exchange option.

if anyone has any direction for me for my weight and just as reference I like the feel of the cloud elite softness, but maybe the cloud supreme. i don’t know if that would benefit anyone giving me ideas on latex bc of the different feel but just putting it out there. im not set on latex or memory foam.

I just was closing my email and discovered bedboss had replied. They stated they could not give me the details bc of legal reasons. I emailed back that I did not need to know specifics but just if any model had over 1.8lb base w/ over 4lb memory foam. Im sure they will not give me that info but I just wanted to try. So not sure if what I found from other posters stats is correct anymore. maybe they changed their mattress.

For me, “Real Simple Real Sleep” brand Mattress, available at Bed Bath and Beyond, was by far the best mattress in a Box I have ever tried. It is super comfortable, organic and everything good. Sweet Dreams!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

@Eric LK M - I checked out the link provided about the mattress you’re recommending and see that they give no details about its construction. Nothing about the layers of foam used or their densities are specified. Very risky buying such a mattress since there’s no way to predict its durability without such information. Then I noticed that there are only two reviews given, both from the same person who also happens to use some of the exact phrases as you do above. Hmmm… :S

Hi Caeser.

Fleep mattress is one of the newer Bed in the Box (BIB) entries on the Canadian market (2 years old) that capitalizes on the reversible feature and the 2 comfort options it offers. While in terms of durability this mattress would not raise any red flags for average BMI weight ranges, I would place a slight caution for higher BMI ranges (See the durability guidelines here) They do not list the ILD specifications of the layers to be able to assess the bed design as it relates to softness/firmness needs of any individual sleeper. In the case of poly and memory foam, density and ILD specifications are the only reliable indicators of quality and suitability regardless of any names or word descriptions used to describe the foams on a website. If anything, and generally speaking, foam names and descriptions are more connected with marketing and generally do nothing more than to created confusion in a market that is already saturated by clever ways of using words to “push” and make a product more “marketable” based on an impression that is created about the foam/product rather than quantifiable qualities given by facts, specifications, testing and raw data.

In the case of Fleep while the idea of having two-sided BIB is novel as it can accommodate a wider range of needs it is essentially a BIB with two comfort options. While they list two firmness choices (firm and soft) it is not clear where in the range of firmness/softens this would fall … e.g. how soft the soft is or how firm the firm is. A more reliable way of assessing suitability would be listing the ILD. Someone looking for a “different firm” in a Fleep mattress would not be able to make it work unless they exchange one of the memory foam layers inside the mattress.

You can also read some of my initial thoughts about the mattress in Post #2 here and you can also perform a quick Forum Search here to see what has been previously discussed about them on the forum.

Phoenix.
(ADMIN Note: The posts about Fleep to its own dedicated topic to make it easier to research. )

@ Sweet Dreams

[indent]As usual, thank you for your valuable contributions. :slight_smile:
As you well noted Eric LK M (first-time poster) inserted a promotional post and will be shortly removed from our forum. [/indent]

Hi Caeser.

Fleep mattress is one of the newer Bed in the Box (BIB) entries on the Canadian market (2 years old) that capitalizes on the reversible feature and the 2 comfort options it offers. While in terms of durability this mattress would not raise any red flags for average BMI weight ranges, I would place a slight caution for higher BMI ranges (See the durability guidelines here) They do not list the ILD specifications of the layers to be able to assess the bed design as it relates to softness/firmness needs of any individual sleeper. In the case of poly and memory foam, density and ILD specifications are the only reliable indicators of quality and suitability regardless of any names or word descriptions used to describe the foams on a website. If anything, and generally speaking, foam names and descriptions are more connected with marketing and generally do nothing more than to created confusion in a market that is already saturated by clever ways of using words to “push” and make a product more “marketable” based on an impression that is created about the foam/product rather than quantifiable qualities given by facts, specifications, testing and raw data.

In the case of Fleep while the idea of having two-sided BIB is novel as it can accommodate a wider range of needs it is essentially a BIB with two comfort options. While they list two firmness choices (firm and soft) it is not clear where in the range of firmness/softens this would fall … e.g. how soft the soft is or how firm the firm is. A more reliable way of assessing suitability would be listing the ILD. Someone looking for a “different firm” in a Fleep mattress would not be able to make it work unless they exchange one of the memory foam layers inside the mattress.

You can also read some of my initial thoughts about the mattress in Post #2 here and you can also perform a quick Forum Search here to see what has been previously discussed about them on the forum.

Phoenix.
(ADMIN Note: The posts about Fleep to its own dedicated topic to make it easier to research. )

Tried SOL medium 9" queen last summer and alas it didn’t work – persistent hip pain. But I haven’t found a better solution and need to replace futon mattress. Tempted to order SOL firm 9" and cross my fingers. Can’t return/get$back twice in one year (their terms are beyond reasonable, great company to work with) so rather worried about decision. I understand their firm no longer as firm as when they started out due to complaints of too firm (which I’d probably like). Have others moved from med to firm SOL with good success? I want to love this mattress but bottom line need good sleep without pain. I’m 5’8" 135 pounds 68 year old female physically active.