Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hi April,

Thank you for the update on the new Brooklyn Bedding Ecosleep mattress. I appreciate it! You are correct that the specifications show no weak links. Interesting to see that they are using latex for the foundational inch below the coils, not polyfoam as many companies do.

Did they happen to mention if the latex is Talalay or Dunlop process?

Thanks again for the update.

Phoenix

Its flippable :slight_smile: That’s why there is latex below! They repeat that its 100% natural rainforest certified total latex but I don’t see them use the word Dunlop or Talalay anywhere.

My head hurts from reading and literally have gotten to the “paralysis by analysis” phase. Enjoy a latex bed but those at City Mattress (Pranasleep) are just too expensive (Samadhi and Wahe…even considered the “discounted” rack). Visited the Charles P Rogers showroom in NY, which provided a nice sleep but at $2600, I still was on the fence. Before that, favored a BeautyRest Black but found enough reviews suggesting to look elsewhere. Recently, I have been steered towards the Wink Plus bed but cannot find a showroom to try.
I am 6’1" 255#’s, so BMI over 30 (dieting and exercising, and down from 260#’s…still dropping). Currently on a queen, sleeping solo except my dog. Sleep on my back, primarily, and sleep hot. Did like the idea of wool but concerned about its longevity, so thinking more of a Talalay/Dunlop mix, as opposed to springs. Budget is in the $2000 range but more concerned with finding the bed best for my needs.

1. From what I understand, springs are better for isolation of movement, not much more. Am I understanding this correctly?
  2. Sleeping on a queen, now, but thoughts of going full-size, for room. If I stayed queen, could it extend the life of a mattress, due to slightly more “sleeping area”? Had planned on building a slatted platform frame, so cost is not much difference between the 2. Only need to buy new sheets.
  3. Ideal weight is around 210#’s - will I notice the difference in the feel of the bed, if I purchase based on my weight now? Have a 3" latex topper on it now but think bed is past it’s useful life. Basically asking if it would make more sense to get a different topper or even a “cheap” bed, to hold me over while I continue to lose weight (will take 6-9 months, at minimum).
  4. Not sure the search parameter to use, looking for local manufacturers but live in 33461 zip code. Planning to visit Ghostbed sometime over the next few days, and frequent the Orlando area (32811), as well. That said, no concerns with driving 3-4 hours away, especially as I saw Fox Mattresses falls within that distance.
    The information provided has been VERY beneficial but struggling to apply it to real world applications. The more I try to educate myself, the more confused I get, and therefore struggle to figure out even the questions to ask. Saw a note about the importance of pillows, something i sleep on about 60-70% of the time…not going to even begin tackling that idea!!!
    Thanks in advance!

A queen size bed is 80 inches long. Full is only 75. That five inches matters a lot. I’m 5’4" and a full is too short for me.

When I travel, stuck at certain locations because of 2 large dogs, and get 2 double beds in the room, which I have no problem with. Had taken the length in to consideration but thank you for the note.
That said, not noticing enough of a price difference to justify a smaller bed.

Hi mpicasso,

Welcome to our mattress forum :)!

Once you start gathering the knowledge to make an informed purchase is quite rare to not enter a “paralysis by analysis” phase…maybe we should have some kind of 5 stages of grief for mattress purchasing :slight_smile: It will start making sense once you match the theory with the field testing and decide on the “must-have” mattress features. There are many variables that are interconnected and it is difficult to discriminate and arrange them in the order of importance for your own needs and preferences which are very unique to you. The mattress buying personal value equation may help to decide between your options. Yes, the Prana is quite expensive.

Depends on the springs … You are correct that pocket coils are the most motion isolating type of springs. Traditional innerspring mattresses are notorious for motion transfer issues for “light” or more sensitive sleepers. Memory foam is the best at motion transfer but latex, pocket coils, microcoils, buckling column gel, and even polyfoam are generally good as well but it will depend to some degree on the specific design of the mattress, on your relative weight ranges, and your sleeping style (such as how close you sleep together). Pocket coils are generally good for motion transfer, unlike innersprings that are linked with helicals which are generally poor to fair depending on the specifics of the innerspring and the foam layers above it. Just as an example most people will tell you that a mattress that uses latex comfort layers would be relatively good at motion isolation but there are also some that will tell you otherwise which is a good example of why once again the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is “motion isolating enough” for you would be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience with both of you on the mattress in the positions you normally sleep in. You can find more about latex versus innerspring post#28here. And there is more about mattresses motion transfer in post #18 here .

Additionally, while both innerspring and a firmer latex core can be used as a support layer … each has very “different” characteristics but the most important differences are the ones you can feel and that you personally prefer. Both of them come in softer or firmer versions and in many different designs so an innerspring could be firmer than a latex core or the other way around depending on the specifics of the components you are comparing.

Nice to be able to DIY slatted frame to your own specifications. You may wish to visit the the Best Mattress Foundation thread here for some good tips. I have not seen any data to suggest that a 6" bigger size bed will have a measurable difference in durability. Most consumers typically revert to the same general area of the bed.

Congratulations on your weight loss through exercise and diet! :slight_smile: … 45 lbs to go… IMO, I do not see any great benefit to buying a cheap bed and holding until the sought weight level is reached especially as you do not seem to deal with any pains due to alignment issues. As you lose weight the alignment also will improve so if possible I’d hold on a bit and instead experiment with what you have … maybe taking off the current topper and see how your body reacts to a firmer surface. Additionally, weight loss, although sometimes happens fast, is still a gradual process.

I am sure your dog would appreciate a little cooler sleeping environment as well…There is more in about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of mattress/sleeping systems in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

Regarding Orlando, Palm Beach FL vicinities, I definitely think visiting the Ghostbed / Naturesleep store. and Bedmasters (almost 3 hours drive) they also have an all Latex Talalay mattress. that’s worth testing. Here are a couple of other threads regarding South Florida:

South Florida Mattress Store
Quality mattress retailers - Palm Beach / Marin Co.

Let us know if there is any other information we can help you with.

Phoenix

Have definitely seen the differences and honestly never gave latex cores a fair shake, because of cost, until recently. Started venturing away from the “larger” corporate stores.

Thanks for this! Started doing it out of necessity (3 kids in a 3 BR house, so built bunkbeds).

Visited Ghostbed today and absolutely fell in love with the Ghostbed Flex! Cool to the touch and alhave struggled trying to feel if I was supported and comfortable…not today!!! Laid on it and my muscles ALMOST INSTANTLY relaxed, similar to when I meditate.
I have been looking at beds inconsistently for a.couple of years, and without much passion until earlier this year. Going to the big-box mattress stores is confusing and depressing. Reading multiple reviews online is helpful, to an extent. But reading the info here helped me understand what I had felt, and more importantly what to look for. Today, I found a bed that fit my body, cool, as I sleep hot, let me sink in but not too far, allowed my muscles to feel relaxed, and was at a price point I wanted to be at. So long story short, thank you!!!

Hi team,

I’m in a bit of an interesting situation as I’m making an international move to the US and am trying to purchase a mattress/bed so that I have somewhere to sleep when I arrive (so unfortunately trialling US based options is out of the picture). However, I don’t really need to value longevity mattress as I will only be here for a known 2 years, maybe up to 4 but no more.

In my online research, I came across this website, and have been reading everything (and there is a lot). From what I can work out I’m a combination sleeper who can pretty much sleep on (and through) anything, at 5’11" (and change) and about 190-195lbs.

After going over all the details of TMU member companies and information I think I’ve decided upon the Nest Love and Sleep. My main concern is the 1.8 lb base layer on that mattress? Will this last the 2 + years that I need it for?

EDIT ~ I also just came across the FLIP by Nest on Amazon; does anyone have any thoughts or information regarding this Mattress? I had a quick search here, but couldn’t find anything.

Thanks.

Hi W1nt3r,

Welcome to the mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post, and good luck on your trip to the States!

Your situation is unique, with the short term needs, approx 2 years. I understand the caution on the 1.8lb base foam, which I know you have probably read is the minimum density we always recommend for any mattress. Your BMI is around 27, so this mattress will most likely be ok for the 2 years and obviously longer than that most likely.

Regarding the Flip mattress by Nest on Amazon, this is the first time I have looked at this listing. As you have already seen the specs listed in the small print is as follows:

I don’t know the exact information about the 660 gauge coil unit, this is a different unit that Nest uses for the Hybrid mattresses that are listed on the website. Each side only has either 1" memory foam, then the other side has, 75 inches of the of high-density foam. Essentially to make this mattress hit $499 AND be flip mattress comfort layers have to be put on each side of the mattress. This means one would have fewer comfort layers for pressure relief needs. This is all generally speaking, but my quick view is the Love and Sleep may be better for pressure relief and comfort with more inches of comfort layers.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any other questions.

Sensei

Hi mpicasso,

Thank you for your update on your shopping experience. I am so happy you found such a nice fit at the Ghostbed store … I just love your quote:

You described very well what people can get from putting in some time to experiment and to find the relevant information about mattresses and skip the marketing stories altogether. Thank you again for posting the update.

Phoenix

Hello,
I went ahead a bought the Luma mattress in queen size and firm version.
First day or two were ok, but I now feel a lower back pain when I wake up. This pain is similar to what I experienced with my previous cheap mattresses that were sagging in the middle (where my hips are).
Where should I go from now? Return the Luma and get a different mattress?
Which one? What can I learn from this?

Hi princessonapea.

I am sorry to hear that the Luma Mattress not working out. IMO I’d try to understand your sleeping landscape rather than rush for yet another mattress in the hopes that the new one would match your needs. A few suggestions and experiments may shed a bit more light before you move on deciding.

You describe the “pain” being “the same” … Unless your pain is caused by a faulty foundation it is probably is very unlikely that the pain is for the same reason as the “sagging” that you experienced with your old mattress. There’s the possibility that the misalignment you are experiencing could be connected to the foundation that is under your mattress so I would make sure check this. (you could check the foundation to make sure it is even and rigid and test this by trying the mattress on the floor for a few nights to see if it makes a difference)… or … it could be mattress could be too soft for your body’s needs and preferences.

I am also not sure from your description how long you’ve slept on the new mattress but typically your body would need to adjust to a new sleep surface as well as lose some of its “learned alignment”. Also, a new mattress can expose some of the “weaknesses” from past injuries and the body needs more time to regain its normalcy… or again … It could simply be an issue that the materials/comfort you’ve chosen unfortunately doesn’t meet with your needs. I would certainly spend more than two weeks testing out any new mattress.

I am asking for more information as sometimes consumers can have some pain from one’s body adjusting to the new mattress. Does it not feel “firm enough”? Do you notice your back/hips not feeling aligned properly (as was noticeable with cheap sagging mattress)? Any other info would be great before you make any quick decisions.

Lastly, you sleep on your back which indeed calls for a firmer mattress and I know that price is also a consideration, but Luma you currently purchased has the bolsa coil and Luma also has the combi zone coil system that would be firmer than the bolsa coil. Your approximate BMI is around 25 - 26 but where you carry your weight and your body configuration are also important which may account for the misalignment that you seem to experience. There can be so many variables in the specifics of the materials, design, and construction and I’d get in touch with Luma and discuss what they recommend as they know their mattresses, how they perform over time with different body type sleepers much better than anyone else.

Hope this helps a bit and that with a few more bits of data into the place we can get a better sense of what is going on (Focusing actually on feeling the differences in your own experience which is always more accurate than anyone else’s descriptions).

Phoenix

Ghostbed sleeping super hot: I’m hoping to find someone who has found a way to cool off the regular Ghostbed. I love the bed–it has eliminated or reduced pain in my lower back, neck, and elbows. I really want to keep the bed, but from the first night the skin that touches the bed gets hot. So much so that I thought I’d accidentally turned on a heating function in the bed–I got up and carefully checked the remote (I got the bundle with the adjustable base), but found no heater button. I’m only 130# and I sleep cold, needing quite a lot more blanketing than my husband, so I’m perplexed about the overheating in a “cooling” bed.

I’ve purchased cooling mattress pads and sheets. These work if the room drops below some temperature I haven’t identified yet, perhaps about 70 degrees. We had a very cool summer so I was able to use the bed a lot with the coverings I bought and thought I had it solved. It heated up again and I’m back to not being able to use the bed. Normally the bedroom averages about 76 degrees in the summer, so I won’t be able to use the bed for several months out of the year.

I called and emailed Ghostbed. Their final recommendation is upgrade to the Luxe, which I’m not inclined to do. Yesterday I asked to be connected with a manager/supervisor in the hopes they’ll have some suggestions for me. Haven’t heard back yet.

The upshot is I can still return the bed (bought it at Costco) but I don’t want to because it helps me so much. I’m wondering if anyone on this forum, either consumer or Ghostbed employee, has found a way to cool off the bed.

Thank you!

Hey kiananderson,

Welcome to the mattress forum :).

Thanks for the message, and I have to say that your experience sounds frustrating. One of the issues about any mattresses, not just Ghostbed is this whole issue of “cooling”. To be fair the original GB is not really a “cooling” bed. It has some factors that may make it cooler than something similar, but they really clearly state the coolest bed is the Luxe.

I understand not wanting to change, as the bed is suitable for much of your sleep style, body style, etc. As a general point, GB won’t have any surprise way to cool down the bed. I am just thinking that this bed / your sleep style is reacting differently than what you slept on before. Do you feel that you are more enveloped in this mattress, many times with as a material like latex is more pressure relieving, our bodies are supported but we have more surface area “touching” our skin (especially compared to a firm mattress)…that we love the bed but feel hotter than before.

What did you sleep on before this Ghostbed? How long have you slept on it?

Thanks let me know.

Sensei

Sorry it took so long to reply, been sick. I’ve slept for the past 25-30 years or so on a firm standard spring mattress.

The Luxe is 2" higher, which makes it too high for my purposes. I purchased and am using the 6" legs on the adjustable base–I’m as low as I go.

I’m hoping there are some people who’ve found a solution for this bed, I just don’t know how to find them. There are so many cooling options in bedding–the solution I am using is very helpful, but not enough.

Thank you. I appreciated your response.

Hey kiananderson,

No worries about the timing of the reply, and sorry you were sick. Hope you feel better :).

I am just going to add a couple of other paragraphs and links from previous posts about “cooling” for you and anyone else who wants to read about them.

Thank you for update info, noted on the size and foundation legs…as low as you can go.

Additional info:

Some of the other factors involved in how warm a mattress sleeps are how closely the foam conforms to your body (the more closely it conforms around you the more insulating it is), how soft or thick the foam in the comfort layers are (the softer/thicker it is the deeper you will sink into the more insulating materials), the type of quilting used in the mattress (natural fibers allow for more airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation), the type of ticking (cover) used (natural or more breathable fibers such as cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics will wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control), and on any cooling technologies used in the mattress such as ventilating and moisture wicking materials, heat conductive materials, or phase change materials (you can read more about these in phase change materials post and at the end of phase change post ) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in different kinds of gel foams. In general terms, gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night.

cooling and mattress protectorsIn addition to this … the mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture-wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors in . Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where the sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post sheets and bedding. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

Thank you, I’ll take a look at all of this. Just for kicks, here’s some info and things that have partially worked:

1. The nacreous mattress pad from Slumber Cloud had been helpful if I cover it with a 100% cotton mattress pad (both fill and fabric). I contacted the company to find out why it hasn’t helped as I expected–they said it works best if the room is under 70 degrees. They were willing to extend the trial period to 91 days instead of 61, since my room won’t drop below 70 until October. That will allow me to determine if I need a cooling pad on the bed in the winter and if the nacreous pad will help.
  2. Using two 100% cotton mattress pads (both fill and fabric) helped a lot. Plus 100% cotton percale sheets. Not enough when the room surpasses 75 degrees though.
  3. While I was waiting for cotton pads and sheets to arrive, I used a very loose-weave cotton blanket and/or a cotton terry towel. These helped a bit.
  4. Honestly, I would return the bed if we hadn’t planned to buy a whole-house fan this Winter to prepare for next summer. The only reason the regular Ghostbed worked this summer, even with all the special bedding, is that we had a super cool summer compared to the last 3 years. I used an outdoor mesh loungechair instead of the bed on the really hot nights.

FYI, for you Sensei, I changed the subject of the whole thread inadvertently. Feel free to change it back to something more applicable to the beginning of the thread.

In gratitude for your help and wonderful site.

Hey kianderson,

Thanks for the update on what you have tried. Very interesting with the Slumber Cloud nacreous product. Slumbercloud, which I believe is actually owned by Outlast company, one of the first companies to introduce phase change materials to the mattress industry.

Interestingly they said it works better when the room temp is under 70 degrees! Also, well done on all the other activities, as it really is managing all the variables to “manage” sleep temperatures.

Thanks again,

Sensei

The link to the Dromma website takes me to “Bedpillows.com” Is this correct? I’m planning on buying (10" Plush Triple Layer SensorAIR Memory Foam Mattress-In-A-Box), and it seems fine to me, just want to be sure I am buying from a reputable dealer.

Thanks!

According to Dromma’s Facebook page: “Dromma Bed has been acquired by BedPillows.com”. They certainly sell very inexpensive foam beds there, but with no density specified for their foam layers I’d be very skeptical about their quality or durability.
https://bedpillows.com/blogs/newsroom/bedpillows-com-announces-acquisition-of-dromma-bed-and-blue-bed-sleep-brands