Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hello,
I went ahead a bought the Luma mattress in queen size and firm version.
First day or two were ok, but I now feel a lower back pain when I wake up. This pain is similar to what I experienced with my previous cheap mattresses that were sagging in the middle (where my hips are).
Where should I go from now? Return the Luma and get a different mattress?
Which one? What can I learn from this?

Hi princessonapea.

I am sorry to hear that the Luma Mattress not working out. IMO I’d try to understand your sleeping landscape rather than rush for yet another mattress in the hopes that the new one would match your needs. A few suggestions and experiments may shed a bit more light before you move on deciding.

You describe the “pain” being “the same” … Unless your pain is caused by a faulty foundation it is probably is very unlikely that the pain is for the same reason as the “sagging” that you experienced with your old mattress. There’s the possibility that the misalignment you are experiencing could be connected to the foundation that is under your mattress so I would make sure check this. (you could check the foundation to make sure it is even and rigid and test this by trying the mattress on the floor for a few nights to see if it makes a difference)… or … it could be mattress could be too soft for your body’s needs and preferences.

I am also not sure from your description how long you’ve slept on the new mattress but typically your body would need to adjust to a new sleep surface as well as lose some of its “learned alignment”. Also, a new mattress can expose some of the “weaknesses” from past injuries and the body needs more time to regain its normalcy… or again … It could simply be an issue that the materials/comfort you’ve chosen unfortunately doesn’t meet with your needs. I would certainly spend more than two weeks testing out any new mattress.

I am asking for more information as sometimes consumers can have some pain from one’s body adjusting to the new mattress. Does it not feel “firm enough”? Do you notice your back/hips not feeling aligned properly (as was noticeable with cheap sagging mattress)? Any other info would be great before you make any quick decisions.

Lastly, you sleep on your back which indeed calls for a firmer mattress and I know that price is also a consideration, but Luma you currently purchased has the bolsa coil and Luma also has the combi zone coil system that would be firmer than the bolsa coil. Your approximate BMI is around 25 - 26 but where you carry your weight and your body configuration are also important which may account for the misalignment that you seem to experience. There can be so many variables in the specifics of the materials, design, and construction and I’d get in touch with Luma and discuss what they recommend as they know their mattresses, how they perform over time with different body type sleepers much better than anyone else.

Hope this helps a bit and that with a few more bits of data into the place we can get a better sense of what is going on (Focusing actually on feeling the differences in your own experience which is always more accurate than anyone else’s descriptions).

Phoenix

Ghostbed sleeping super hot: I’m hoping to find someone who has found a way to cool off the regular Ghostbed. I love the bed–it has eliminated or reduced pain in my lower back, neck, and elbows. I really want to keep the bed, but from the first night the skin that touches the bed gets hot. So much so that I thought I’d accidentally turned on a heating function in the bed–I got up and carefully checked the remote (I got the bundle with the adjustable base), but found no heater button. I’m only 130# and I sleep cold, needing quite a lot more blanketing than my husband, so I’m perplexed about the overheating in a “cooling” bed.

I’ve purchased cooling mattress pads and sheets. These work if the room drops below some temperature I haven’t identified yet, perhaps about 70 degrees. We had a very cool summer so I was able to use the bed a lot with the coverings I bought and thought I had it solved. It heated up again and I’m back to not being able to use the bed. Normally the bedroom averages about 76 degrees in the summer, so I won’t be able to use the bed for several months out of the year.

I called and emailed Ghostbed. Their final recommendation is upgrade to the Luxe, which I’m not inclined to do. Yesterday I asked to be connected with a manager/supervisor in the hopes they’ll have some suggestions for me. Haven’t heard back yet.

The upshot is I can still return the bed (bought it at Costco) but I don’t want to because it helps me so much. I’m wondering if anyone on this forum, either consumer or Ghostbed employee, has found a way to cool off the bed.

Thank you!

Hey kiananderson,

Welcome to the mattress forum :).

Thanks for the message, and I have to say that your experience sounds frustrating. One of the issues about any mattresses, not just Ghostbed is this whole issue of “cooling”. To be fair the original GB is not really a “cooling” bed. It has some factors that may make it cooler than something similar, but they really clearly state the coolest bed is the Luxe.

I understand not wanting to change, as the bed is suitable for much of your sleep style, body style, etc. As a general point, GB won’t have any surprise way to cool down the bed. I am just thinking that this bed / your sleep style is reacting differently than what you slept on before. Do you feel that you are more enveloped in this mattress, many times with as a material like latex is more pressure relieving, our bodies are supported but we have more surface area “touching” our skin (especially compared to a firm mattress)…that we love the bed but feel hotter than before.

What did you sleep on before this Ghostbed? How long have you slept on it?

Thanks let me know.

Sensei

Sorry it took so long to reply, been sick. I’ve slept for the past 25-30 years or so on a firm standard spring mattress.

The Luxe is 2" higher, which makes it too high for my purposes. I purchased and am using the 6" legs on the adjustable base–I’m as low as I go.

I’m hoping there are some people who’ve found a solution for this bed, I just don’t know how to find them. There are so many cooling options in bedding–the solution I am using is very helpful, but not enough.

Thank you. I appreciated your response.

Hey kiananderson,

No worries about the timing of the reply, and sorry you were sick. Hope you feel better :).

I am just going to add a couple of other paragraphs and links from previous posts about “cooling” for you and anyone else who wants to read about them.

Thank you for update info, noted on the size and foundation legs…as low as you can go.

Additional info:

Some of the other factors involved in how warm a mattress sleeps are how closely the foam conforms to your body (the more closely it conforms around you the more insulating it is), how soft or thick the foam in the comfort layers are (the softer/thicker it is the deeper you will sink into the more insulating materials), the type of quilting used in the mattress (natural fibers allow for more airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation), the type of ticking (cover) used (natural or more breathable fibers such as cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics will wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control), and on any cooling technologies used in the mattress such as ventilating and moisture wicking materials, heat conductive materials, or phase change materials (you can read more about these in phase change materials post and at the end of phase change post ) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in different kinds of gel foams. In general terms, gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night.

cooling and mattress protectorsIn addition to this … the mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture-wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors in . Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where the sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post sheets and bedding. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

Thank you, I’ll take a look at all of this. Just for kicks, here’s some info and things that have partially worked:

1. The nacreous mattress pad from Slumber Cloud had been helpful if I cover it with a 100% cotton mattress pad (both fill and fabric). I contacted the company to find out why it hasn’t helped as I expected–they said it works best if the room is under 70 degrees. They were willing to extend the trial period to 91 days instead of 61, since my room won’t drop below 70 until October. That will allow me to determine if I need a cooling pad on the bed in the winter and if the nacreous pad will help.
  2. Using two 100% cotton mattress pads (both fill and fabric) helped a lot. Plus 100% cotton percale sheets. Not enough when the room surpasses 75 degrees though.
  3. While I was waiting for cotton pads and sheets to arrive, I used a very loose-weave cotton blanket and/or a cotton terry towel. These helped a bit.
  4. Honestly, I would return the bed if we hadn’t planned to buy a whole-house fan this Winter to prepare for next summer. The only reason the regular Ghostbed worked this summer, even with all the special bedding, is that we had a super cool summer compared to the last 3 years. I used an outdoor mesh loungechair instead of the bed on the really hot nights.

FYI, for you Sensei, I changed the subject of the whole thread inadvertently. Feel free to change it back to something more applicable to the beginning of the thread.

In gratitude for your help and wonderful site.

Hey kianderson,

Thanks for the update on what you have tried. Very interesting with the Slumber Cloud nacreous product. Slumbercloud, which I believe is actually owned by Outlast company, one of the first companies to introduce phase change materials to the mattress industry.

Interestingly they said it works better when the room temp is under 70 degrees! Also, well done on all the other activities, as it really is managing all the variables to “manage” sleep temperatures.

Thanks again,

Sensei

The link to the Dromma website takes me to “Bedpillows.com” Is this correct? I’m planning on buying (10" Plush Triple Layer SensorAIR Memory Foam Mattress-In-A-Box), and it seems fine to me, just want to be sure I am buying from a reputable dealer.

Thanks!

According to Dromma’s Facebook page: “Dromma Bed has been acquired by BedPillows.com”. They certainly sell very inexpensive foam beds there, but with no density specified for their foam layers I’d be very skeptical about their quality or durability.
https://bedpillows.com/blogs/newsroom/bedpillows-com-announces-acquisition-of-dromma-bed-and-blue-bed-sleep-brands

Ok. Thanks for the quick response! Maybe I’ll reach out by phone to see if I can get material details. I’ll report back if I do.

I also tried calling them during their posted “customer service hours”, and after being on hold for several minutes without anyone answering I gave up. :S

I called “bedpillow.com” and they said the densities are “proprietary” but she could tell me about “feel”. I respectfully declined and told he I would be looking elsewhere. You may want to update the recommendation to use “Dromma” as a reputable supplier.

Hey Ely,

I made a separate thread for the Dromma/Bedpillows info.

Thanks for the update on Dromma and Bedpillows.com. Thank you, as always @Sweet Dreams for your excellent help. I see all the review sites still have their Dromma reviews, but as was pointed out, it seems Bedpillows has no desire to communicated material density and quality, with those prices I am not surprised.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Phoenix,

It wasn’t clear as to how I could ask this as a separate topic, but I’m in need of a bit of advice.
After reading through many of the posts here, including the how to find/buy a mattress, and looking through trusted partners, I’m down to a few options - my wife says I have to make the purchase ASAP. We had decided on a mattress from Denver Mattress but it had fiberglass and we didn’t feel comfortable with small children.

Edit: After making this post, I was able to narrow down our options and refine my background info.

My wife and I are 120 lbs / 200 lbs and 5’4 / 5’9 respectively. We’d like to reduce our aches and pains, both sleep on our sides while sometimes moving to our back or stomach for short periods. I’d like strong edge support, a top that lets me sink down without sinking into the mattress - so having some support is nice. Our budget is around $2,000.

I’ve narrowed it down to [strike]four[/strike] three options but can’t seem to pull the trigger.

1. Any thoughts or concerns that might help me lean to one or the other?
  2. Is there a reason to choose a queen over a king? e.g. kings sag more often.
    Thanks!

HI, I’m also considering Fleep as I think I need a more supportive or firm mattress, I’m now trying a Silk + Snow (the regular foam one) and I think when I’m on my back I dont’t feel enough support for my lower back. But I also sleep on my side and my husband is also a side and back sleeper (we are 120 and 160 lbs). Would the firm side of Fleep be a good option for us? I’m also looking at the Bear which is also firmer than S + S and it’s a more known company… I don’t want to try 5 mattresses :slight_smile:

Hi Lili.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I understand why you would want to avoid the trial and error process of 5 choices of one size fits all types of mattresses. Unfortunately, even with knowing all specs you may still have difficulties ensuring that you get the firmness/softness that would be the best match for both you and for your husband. Of course we’re always happy to help with “how” to choose, to act as a "fact check, or to help find better manufacturers or retailers that have better quality and value but “what” to choose in terms of either a mattress or the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment that may be suitable for a specific person is always up to the only person who can feel what they feel on a mattress and can be validated only by personal testing or … a more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell a mattress you are considering…. the mattress that is best for each person (or a couple) is a matter of preference and which mattress design works best for their individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The mattress that works best for each person is as unique as people themselves.

It is difficult to make comparisons based on the internal firmness rating of the manufacturers themselves and also because all the layers and materials and the design are different for each mattress and every small difference between two mattresses can either have a cumulative effect or an offsetting effect that is very difficult for even a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer to predict how will work out for each individual. It can be surprising to many people how different they can feel (especially when most people only pay attention only to the IFD/ILD numbers of the foam layers and not to all the other specs or components that can make a significant difference in how a mattress feels and performs). This is especially true for those that are more sensitive and have a narrower “range” for a mattress that will work well or them.

The best suggestion I could make is to read through How to find the best mattress for you in post #1 here and the information it links to with basic information which can act as a reference to help you know who has the knowledge and experience to help you make good choices that are suitable for your needs and preferences and who is only interested in selling you whatever they can.

I am not sure which of the 3 models provided by Bear you are looking at, but you can read about their original 10" mattress in the simplified choice thread here with specs changes here, and more about experiences other forum members have had with Silk & Snow here and Bear here.

Looking forward to hearing about your choice and any other questions you might have.
Phoenix

Hi mannotbear.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile: and good job narrowing down your choices! … the mattresses you selected use 8" pocket coil with added edge support you like and 3 zones for lumbar support and fall within your budget range. I’d say that you should opt for the most comfortable mattress with the highest density foams in the comfort layers (top 1/3) of the mattress. I’d want something with gel memory foam densities greater than 3.5lbs for a long-lasting mattress.

I’d pay special attention to the mattress “feel” you are looking for… especially in the comfort layer. Memory foam can be a “love it or hate it” material and it certainly has “weaknesses” that latex doesn’t have even though they are roughly equivalent in terms of cradling and their ability to relieve pressure. You can read more about the newer memory/poly foams. You can read more about the newer generation of polyfoams here that Aurora uses.

Helix uses only polyfoam and proprietary blends of memory foams in their products but depending on your firmness choice, Dusk would have a more in the mattress feel while with Luma’s you would get more on the mattress feel because of the resilience (springiness) of latex without losing the cradling effect. (This may also help with the pains and aches you mentioned because it’s inherent supportiveness and ease to reposition throughout the night) Aurora uses the new generation poly which has some of the latex properties.

Another thing I’d pay attention to is the breathability and how “hot the mattress sleeps”. Some types of memory foam are also more breathable than others and have less effect on sleeping temperature but memory foam, in general, tends to sleep warmer for some people than other types of foam materials (latex foam or polyfoam). There is more about the different properties that can be formulated into memory foam ~ post #9 here and post #8 here.

The price increase from Queen to King may be something to keep in mind if you have budgetary concerns … especially as you’d need to consider the foundation and all other sleeping accessories. As far as sagging goes … theoretically we have more space on the mattress to “wear out” but practically we’ll typically tend to drift towards the same spot on the mattress (weather Queen or King) which is where the most mechanical stress will occur. If the components used in the top layers of the mattress meet durability guidelines here you’d expect to have minimal impressions over time.

You may want Helix about the foam thickens they use in the comfort layers of their pillowtop of their Dusk Luxe, … site states 2.5 PCF density Visco Gel (IFD: 10.) // HD Memory Foam - IFD: Varies Density: 2.5 PCF Helix blend. // Dynamic Foam - latex-foam hybrid alternative: 10-20. Density: 3.0-4.0 PCF.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here helping with meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your Mattress buying personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I hope this gives a bit more info to help with your final choice.
Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your response!

After considering your input, I decided to go with the Luma Hybrid Slumber System. Here’s why -

1. According to MU and most sources, latex is springier and will give us more of the “laying on” vs “laying in” the mattress.

2. Luma Sleep is a MU member and that gives them credibility.

3. I couldn’t find much info on the polyfoams used by Brooklyn Bedding or Helix; that gave me pause. Even if they are great materials, one would think they would broadcast the quality if it is to be proud of.

I’ve heard good and bad things about Luma’s process; the order is in process and I’ll update with feedback either way for those who come after me.

Cheers!

Hello Phoenix,

It has been two months or so. I now have about 3 weeks to make a decision whether I want to return the Luma mattress.
I went back and forth several times between laying the mattress on the bed and on the floor. I believe both the bed and the mattress were a bad purchase. The bed I bought is Nomad Platform Bed – KD Frames and I also bought their center leg. This bed is very sturdy, but each slat is a bit less than 2 inches, and the gap between the slats is around 2.9 inches. I think that the gaps are too big, causing the mattress (the coils maybe?) to fall inside, and provide less support. I am planning on buying some kind of a board to put on the slats. Something like that https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dimensions-48-in-H-x-24-in-W-White-Pegboard-109099/202093803.
However, even with the mattress on the floor, I experience some lower back soreness/discomfort. I am currently still trying to figure out whether it is only one side (where I laid down the most) or uniform across the whole mattress.
So where do I go from now? I need to probably return the Luma mattress in ~3 weeks or less.
Should I go for memory foam now? I am willing to increase my budget, if only I can find a suitable mattress for me.