Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Friendly bump in case anyone has any experience or can comment on the Wellsville CarbonCool.

Hello all, I’m new to this experience and had originally start led with the Emma Mattress… at first I thought that I loved it, it was something totally different then what I was use to, which was a pillow top innerspring mattress with a 3" gel memory foam topper over it. It was completely “dead” and extremely cool!! I loved the fact that they had cut holes in the first part of the poly foam core to allow for better airflow… after 4 weeks I have realized that it just did not agree with my back as it is too firm, and on the mattress feel. Fast forward a few weeks and now I am on the DIY mattress fast track!
I have fortunately come across several Dunlop style toppers of various 2-3" heights and firmnesses. Then I have also bought myself a 3" Blended Talalay soft (18-20) topper that I love but I wish was a tad bit softer. I am now starting to experiment with the different layers. I also wish to try out the FloBeds shredded Talalay topper as well as some high density memory foam both over and under latex. I also bought a cheap 6" inner spring zinus mattress to test it In “hybrid”-like configurations.
I love experimenting and trying different things so this does suit me well… I will continue to update with what I like and don’t like.
I am open to ideas, and if anyone has any advice on where I could go to find really good covers, and other things I could put on top of my foam layers to protect them and prolong their life once I get a set up I like.
That zippered cover from Arizona Premium looks perfect, but I have already spent a lot of money and something that pricy is my next big buy for my project, along with super xtra soft blended Talalay or who knows?

Hey Seanec,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question and your kind words regarding the site. See that you have posted similar questions in three different topics; to avoid duplication and to keep the forum organized, I’m moving them to a new topic, “DIY Hybrid Mattress Build: best zippered cover options for foam layers?

[quote]…now I am on the DIY mattress fast track! I have fortunately come across several Dunlop style toppers of various 2-3" heights and firmnesses. Then I have also bought myself a 3" Blended Talalay soft (18-20) topper that I love but I wish was a tad bit softer. I am now starting to experiment with the different layers. I also wish to try out the FloBeds shredded Talalay topper as well as some high density memory foam both over and under latex. I also bought a cheap 6" inner spring zinus mattress to test it In “hybrid”-like configurations.

I love experimenting and trying different things so this does suit me well… I will continue to update with what I like and don’t like. I am open to ideas, and if anyone has any advice on where I could go to find really good covers, and other things I could put on top of my foam layers to protect them and prolong their life once I get a set up I like. That zippered cover from Arizona Premium looks perfect, but I have already spent a lot of money and something that pricy is my next big buy for my project, along with super xtra soft blended Talalay or who knows?[/quote]

Thanks too for your interest in TMU expert trusted members Flobeds and Arizona Premium Mattress, know they would be happy to answer questions on their components concerning your DIY project build. Just curious, what size mattress do you have and where are you now with your experimental build progress? Feel free to keep the Forum updated on your research…

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei!! That makes things much easier!!

So I have had the fortune of running into a local man who had a Liquidated supply of SLEEPONLATEX Dunlop toppers of various sizes, firmnesses and heights.
I have cut everything down to the size of a Queen sized bed as that’s the size of my Bed frame.

I haven’t settled on a combination that I like right now, however I Have to try out:

• a 3" Blended Talalay 17-19ILD my baby (cause I paid more on this than almost everything else combined)
  • 3" medium 28 blended Dunlop
  • 2" soft 20 ILD Dunlop blended continuous pour
    The rest is SleepOnLatex brand
  • 3" soft
  • 2" medium
  • 2" firm
  • 1" firm

I have a 6" zinus innerspring mattress with 5" coils that I bought new as a steal because it was old inventory and I wanted to try out a semi-hybrid feel. I wish they were pocketed coils

I also have a 1.5" convoluted memory foam topper that is infused with graphite and copper

I have the Flobed shredded latex topper on the way now and will report back on at a later date.

I am also trying to find 2-3" of high quality memory foam 3.5 lbs +
but that will be at a later date when my wallet and I Are on speaking terms again after this Christmas season.

I don’t sleep on all of it at once!! I have been moving things around and swapping it out, once I have a good grasp on a final design I am going to encase it in a mattress cover of some sort.

I will report back with how things are going!

Hi sidesleeper020.

I just rescued your post from another topic in progress, moved it to its own thread. and replyed to it to get it back on track :ohmy:

Thanks for your patience and friendly reminder. Burning the midnight oil right now so it is better to leave it for tomorrow and I or one of the other moderators will soon get to it.

Phoenix

Hey sidesleeper020,

Thanks for your patience during this crazy holiday and hope things are going well. You’ve had quite a few questions for the TMU Forum that have been answered, but with so many open threads unfortunately this one was lost :).

Congrats on your upcoming new mattress purchase! Sounds like you’re following some of the suggested steps from the TMU Mattress Shopping Tutorial, such as researching local manufacturers and exploring what options you may have there. Connecting with the “experts” at better stores in your area allows the opportunity to discuss the types of materials, components, and layering that best fits your needs and preferences and that will match all the most important parts your PPP/“personal value equation” (read more of post #46 here) .

You mention that the Wellsville Carbon Cool Mattress is available from an independent reseller in your area at a steep “discount.” A bit of caution here: you may want to find out if this independent resells “used” mattresses, could account for the significant difference in pricing they offer.

The 9" base foam meets durability guidelines and should be fine, you can read more about these in the article Mattress Durability Guidelines…How Long Will a Mattress Last. Layer 1’s construction of 3" memory foam layer is something to consider as it will receive the most contact/ wear and tear, at a 3.5 lb density would be likely to break down more quickly. Of course, I am not personally familiar with Wellsville mattresses or their components, so this would be just my thoughts.

Let us know how your research goes and keep us posted.

Thanks,
Sensei

We are strongly leaning towards a pocket coil mattress from a local manufacturer. However, I have also been reaching out to some online companies that have Canadian offerings, given their return policies.

I’ve added their replies in case it helps others, but I see enough red flags in these products that I don’t see us ordering from them.

I asked Helix about the Midnight and Midnight Luxe and here what I was told. The Muxe is a higher coil count with a pillow top. Both unfortunately have 2" of 2.5 lb memory foam which doesn’t some great to me for the $1200 price point for the Midnight.

Midnight
789 coils
Comfort Layer: Memory Foam +, 2.5# 12 ILD (2")
Support Layer: Gel Visco, 2.5# 10 ILD (1")
Transition Layer: High-Grade Polyfoam 1.8#, 20 ILD (1")

Midnight Luxe
1130 coils
Cover: Quilted Pillow Top, 1.5# 17ILD
Comfort Layer: Memory Foam +, 2.5# 12 ILD (2")
Support Layer: Gel Visco, 2.5# 10 ILD (1")
Transition Layer: High-Grade Polyfoam 1.8#, 20 ILD (1")

I also reached out to Novosbed on 3 of their mattresses out of curiosity, given their Canadian roots. I don’t know specifically what the gel foam is. Is it a polyfoam?

The Novosbed doesn’t seem too bad, but the memory foam at 4 lb is I think a bit lower than TMU generally recommends, and the base at 1.75 lb is also a bit low.

The Recore seems ok if the gel foam is a polyfoam, correct?

The Logan and Cove surprised me with all the lower density 1.5 lb polyfoam.

Novosbed Medium:

Comfort Layer 1: 1" Premium airflow foam 1.95 lb / 9 IFD
Comfort Layer 2: 1" High-density visco-elastic memory foam 4 lb / 11 IFD
Transition Layer: 2" High-density visco-elastic memory foam 4 lb / 11 IFD
Base: 7" Premium polyurethane support foam 1.75 lb / 32 IFD
The cover is made with a polyester blend fabric. Please note, there is 20% Latex coating on the bottom cover. However the Novosbed Foam is 100% latex-free.

Recore:

Layer 1: 1.5" Graphite Infused Synthetic Latex / 3.4 lbs Density
Layer 2: 2" Cooling Gel Foam / 2.5 lbs Density
Layer 3: 7" Conventional Polyfoam / 1.8 lbs Density
The cover is made with a SilverCharged™ Antimicrobial Polyester blend fabric.

Logan & Cove Medium:

Layer #1: ¾" Cooling Gel Foam 1.8 lbs Density
Layer #2: ½" Bio Foam 1.5 lbs Density
Layer #3: 1" Visco Cooling Gel Foam 2.5 lbs Density
Layer #4: 1" Tri-Zone Bio Foam 1.5 lbs Density, Soy Infused
​Layer #5: 2" Bio Foam 1.5 lbs Density, Soy Infused
Layer #6: 8" Zonal Pocketed Coils 8" Zonal Pocketed Coils 14.5 / 13.5 / 14.5 Coil Gauge
Foam Encasement: ½" (d) x 7 ¾" (h) Polyfoam ½" (d) x 7 ¾" (h) Polyfoam 1.5 lbs Density
The cover is a made with a Eucalyptus-derived Fibre and Polyester blend material.

So I now own a Flo-Bed shredded latex topper!!

I love the cotton cover, and I love the Talalay latex smell to it, I may be weird, but it is a very pleasant scent!

I also like the way it feels! You can feel the “bumps” which makes it feel incredibly soft but yet extremely supportive!! It is hard to describe.
Now it is fully stuffed, which makes it feel fairly firm, a little too firm for my liking. I may play around with taking some of the filling out as it has zippers on either end, but it is a continuous zipper, instead of individual zippers which will make that project a potentially messy one.
The only thing that is bugging me is the stitched seam down the middle of the queen topper. It makes me feel like my mattress has a V shape to it where it is pulling me into the middle. Every night I have slept with it, I end up in the middle. I have not had it long enough to tell you how my back has handles it, but it is not quite what I expected.
That being said, I just had to say that FLO-Beds has some fantastic customer service!! I mean they really went out of their way to help me, and Even gave me some problem solving solutions! I just wanted to thank Paul, who is knowledgeable, friendly, and an asset to any company involved in customer care! Thank you!

I would really like to try some Blended Talalay in the softest possible ILD
I have a 3" topper that is 19 ILD blended Talalay, and it just is not soft enough for me, I am searching for that “floating on a cloud feeling from really soft comfort layers!
Would it be okay to put 2”-3" inches of 14 ILD latex or lower on top of my 3" 19 layer?

I could put a 3" medium Dunlop layer under that, or a 2" firm Dunlop layer.

Any suggestions?
Maybe I could try ultra soft poly foam, or memory foam?

Thanks for the reply, Sensei. To clarify, I get the discount directly via Malouf’s (Wellsville parent company) corporate partner VIP portal, which my employer is part of. In order to actually test the mattress in person, however, I’ve found a local reseller.

Thanks for analysis of the construction. I’ve also found some information regarding Wellsville’s 14" Latex Hybrid and figured I’d paste it here for visibility:

Seems like layers 2&3 could be weak links?

Layer 1: 2" Ventilated Latex (4.4# — Dunlop Latex, 20% natural/80% synthetic)
Layer 2: 1.5" Ultra plush gel memory foam (1.9#)
Layer 3: 2" supportive transition foam (1.6#)
Coils: 6.5" 12 gauge foam encased pocket coils (1090 coil count for king)
Layer 5: 2" High density base foam (1.8#)

So I am returning the firm BB signature, and unsure if I should shell out the extra 900 for theirAurora, or look elsewhere.

I didn’t see this elsewhere, so here is the BB Aurora foam specs. How would yall rate it for someone about 240lbs?

Soft:
3.5 lb 12 ILD TitanFlex foam with Phase Change material
2.5 lb 10 ILD TitanFlex foam
Pocketed coils with quantum edge support

Medium:
3.5 lb 12 ILD Titan flex foam with Phase Change material
3.5 lb 18ILD TitanFlex foam

Firm:
3.5lb 12ILD Titan FlexFoam with Phase change material
3.5lb 36ILD TitanFlex foam

I’m in a higher weight class than you at 6’4"/300lbs and tried out the BB Aurora medium in a showroom. I wasn’t on it for long since I found it to be way too soft to even consider. I wasn’t able to try the firm version, but that may be the only one which could work for you based on my experience with the medium. Of course it’s all very subjective and we all perceive firmness differently. Hope that helps and good luck with your decision!

• Bill

Hey sidesleeper020,

Thanks for the update :slight_smile: .

[quote]Thanks for analysis of the construction. I’ve also found some information regarding Wellsville’s 14" Latex Hybrid and figured I’d paste it here for visibility….Seems like layers 2&3 could be weak links?
[/quote]

You may feel some “sinking in” from the “cradling” effect of the Dunlop layer above, should have a firm, supportive feeling.

Layer 2 at 1.9 lbs should have adequate support, but this will all be part of your PPP/ and how you like the feeling of the Dunlop top layer.

Would be better to have the transition foam weight a little higher, either 1.8lbs or 1.9lbs if its above the pocketed coils.

How much of a firmness are you looking for in a mattress? Are the coils in fact 12 gauge? I checked their web site and couldn’t verify those specs. They would be quite heavy for pocketed coils and would give a very firm feel to the bed.

I would be concerned that a 1.8 lb. base foam would be sufficient enough to support the 12 gauge coils without harming the 2" base foam structure itself. However, if these are truly pocket coils in the range of 15 gauge, then the weight should be fine.

Thanks again for sharing your research process with other TMU consumer subscribers and appreciate the updates. Looking forward to hearing about which Wellsville model you choose.

Cheers,
Sensei

I’m looking for Medium to Medium Firm. Based on my first test of the mattress in store, my initial impression was that the 14" latex hybrid was less firm feeling than my current (soon to be returned) Brooklyn Bedding Signature Firm, but firmer than a medium (Of course, I realize these are very different mattresses)

I can’t 100% confirm accuracy, however I got the information after emailing Wellsville and asking about layer construction and foam densities. FWIW, this reseller site 12.25 gauge pocket coils (embedded in the image) and within the site text.

Of course! I’m not 100% sold on buying a Wellsville – however given the level of discount I get, it’s getting my attention but I want to vet the details/quality and not buy it purely on price.

Hi Phoenix

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am in berkeley ca and haven’t been able to try either of these beds. This site has been so helpful as I look for a mattress. I have narrowed down my search to two options.

I am trying to decide whether to get the brooklyn bedding signature hybrid full size for $636
Specs for medium firmness vs firm
Medium firm:
4" 3.5lb TitanFlex Comfort Layer - medium 18ILD
2" 3.5lb TitanFlex Transitional Layer - Firm 28ILD
Firm:
4" 3.5lb titalflex comfort layer firm 28ILD
1" transitional foam
Seems like the medium is a better buy because it has 46 combined ILD

OR go with a mattress from Bay Beds. For $750 I could get 2 polyfoam layers one 36 one 24 ILD.

I am sure I want a mattress with coils, rather than a solid memory foam mattress. I do not want to use latex because my partner has an allergy. I know the latex would be encased but she’s so allergic I don’t want latex in my home at all. I like that with bay beds I could replace the foam (rather than the whole mattress) because the cover comes off. At the same time, I’m in a transitional moment in life - I may not be able to hold onto a bay bed for several decades (there’s a chance I’ll move abroad.) In which case saving the $100 now and buying the Brooklyn Bedding mattress (which I hope would last me 6-8 years) would make sense. But maybe you think the BB specs are actually terrible. I have read a lot on this site but don’t feel I have the most solid grasp. Thanks for your thoughts and guidance!

Hey ellenf,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]I am in berkeley ca and haven’t been able to try either of these beds. This site has been so helpful as I look for a mattress. I have narrowed down my search to two options.

I am trying to decide whether to get the brooklyn bedding signature hybrid full size for $636
Specs for medium firmness vs firm
Medium firm:
4" 3.5lb TitanFlex Comfort Layer - medium 18ILD
2" 3.5lb TitanFlex Transitional Layer - Firm 28ILD
Firm:
4" 3.5lb titalflex comfort layer firm 28ILD
1" transitional foam
Seems like the medium is a better buy because it has 46 combined ILD

OR go with a mattress from Bay Beds. For $750 I could get 2 polyfoam layers one 36 one 24 ILD…I like that with bay beds I could replace the foam (rather than the whole mattress) because the cover comes off.
[/quote]

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey :cheer: ! Good job on the research you’re doing, looks like you are close to making a decision. Happy to hear you are considering Bay Bed & Mattress,one of the trusted members of the TMU who is quite experienced and knowledgeable. If your preference is to have an innerspring mattress with removable layers, Bay Beds is worth looking into, you can ask them questions directly here at the general forum. Also a perk, all of our trusted members offer a small discount of their products to TMU consumer subscribers making at least one forum post. Looking forward to hearing more on your research.

Thanks,
Sensei

The update so far is that the Aurora is a world better for my lower back, I’m only a week in, and I have some other concerns, but it’s a huge step up so I’ll continue the trial and let yall know.

Hey WTBSleepSev,

Congrats on your new mattress purchase :cheer: ! Thanks for the check-in, good to hear that your lower back is resting better. Looking forward to hearing more updates as the sleep trial period progresses…

Cheers,
Sensei

So, the new BB Aurora mattress seems to be good for my lower back, but im now having issues with my upper back, specifically between my shoulder blades. Im thinking this might be pillow related? I have a 3 year old memory foam pillow, which when new was used with an innerspring mattress that had a pillow top. Had no issues then, and due to the overwhelming issues I had when i switched to a pure memory foam 2 years ago, never considered my pillow as contributing to my problems. Although in retrospect i did have the same pain between my shoulder blades then. I dont believe I had issues with my upper back as much with the previous BB signature mattresses, but if i did they were overridden by the lower back issues. So i think im going to try a couple of pillows, maybe the my pillow and one of those curved memory foams. I am a side and stomach sleeper by habit, but over the last few years have trained myself to sleep more on my back. So i’ve read that it can benefit you to have different types of pillows and in different places. Im going to try and avoid the stomach position, and mainly do side and back with these new pillows and see if it doesnt improve the situation.

Hey WTBSleepSev,

Thanks for the updates on your new BB Aurora mattress, good to hear that your back comfort situation is improving :cheer: ! A bit about the discomfort between your shoulder blades/ upper back area: generally speaking, side sleepers need a loftier, more firm pillow to keep their head and neck raised up and aligned, back sleepers need a little thinner pillow with some support under the neck, and stomach sleepers need the thinnest flattest pillow of all to keep their head as low as possible. Many people are combination sleepers and pillows that can be “scrunched” (feathers, down, shredded latex or shredded memory foam and many other materials) can help with this because they can be puffed up when needed on the side and flattened or molded when needed on the back or stomach. You can check out Phoenix’s thoughts regardingpillow personal preferences, as well as more onpillow materials in these posts that may help in your pillow shopping research.

I would suggest that just as you would test a mattress for gaps in your spinal alignment, try the same test with your pillow: while laying on your side on the mattress and using your current pillow, ask your wife to take note of your positioning. Your hips should sink in, your shoulders should sink in and your spine should form a relatively straight line, with the resulting angle of your neck also following (a pic of this for you to see would be a good reference too). Your alignment when you are lying down should be very similar to when you are standing up straight with good posture. Filling in the “gap” between your head and shoulders with your pillow … especially for side and back sleepers can make a big difference in how you sleep and in the alignment of your neck and head and other areas as well. You may also find Five steps to your perfect mattress- Support and spinal alignment an interesting read as well. Of course, these are just some thoughts for consideration, only you can “feel” what you feel in terms of pillow comfort and support. You may even ask BB for their recommends as most manufacturers offer products that compliment their component designs best. Looking forward to hearing more of your updates :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei