Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hello Taereyn,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

No, I’m not personally familiar with Hamuq, and as you stated they have little meaningful information on their web site. If you are able to find out the information listed here and post it back on the site, I’ll do my best to comment upon the componentry within the mattress.

Phoenix

Hey Taereyn, they are a relatively newer company, but the guys who started it have been in the mattress industry a while, and the designer/head of mfg was making mattresses since he was 14 (he’s like 46 now or something) so lots of experience

If you ask them they’ll tell you whats in the mattress, but what i’ve gathered is 1" of gel memory foam 3lbs density, 2" biofoam 1.8lbs density, 1" quilted pillow top polyester 1.5lbs comfort foam. base support system is individually wrapped pocket coils, i think 980 in the queen, 15 gauge canadian steel coils, biofoam encasement 1.8lbs density, then another 1/2" of foam 1.8lbs density holding the top and bottom of the encasement.

Hi RedBaron5293,

Thank you for your input on the Hamuq mattress. From what I’ve been able to gather, the specifications are, top to bottom:
1" 1.5 lb polyfoam quilted to the cover
2" 1.8 lb polyfoam
1.5" 3 lb memory foam
Pocketed spring unit, 980 spring count queen with 1.8 lb encasement
.5" 1.8 lb polyfoam base
This differs slightly from your description (memory foam layer thickness).

Are you referring to Jordan and Nate? I’ve not been able to locate information about them except that they are “local entrepreneurs” who started Hamuq and their mailing address is the same as the Cube Innovation Cluster in Peterborough. You seem to have a bit of information about Hamuq that isn’t (easily) publicly available. Are you affiliated with Hamuq in any way (is this Jordan)? I’m appreciative of the information you’re providing, but the forum rules require you to disclose if you have any relationship with any company discussed on the forum. As you seem to be familiar with the company, can you provide information about who fabricates the mattresses for Hamuq?

Thanks for helping contribute information to the Mattress Forum! :cheer:

Phoenix

First post here. There is so much information here, my head is about to explode! Thanks, Phoenix.

Just noticed another Bed in a Box newcomer. www.matsleep.com $599 for a Queen, includes latex as the top layer and tencel as the cover. Only could find one review on YouTube. 365 Test period. I don’t see any affiliate marketing stuff.

Any thoughts or ideas about this mattress/company? Are they using real latex?Are they associated with any of the members of TMU? Would also love to know what the ILDs are for each layer, etc.

I am sort of thinking if it sounds too good to be true………

Shibadad,

Here is what the company has said when I inquired into the materials:
“Natural Latex top layer = 1inch, Gel infused memory foam layer = 2 inches (5 lb), Core Layer = 8 inches (25 LD high quality support foam) and overall weight of Queen mattress is 90lb which only high end mattress have it.”

I then asked:
"To clarify, the latex is natural latex and not a blend or talalay? What is the ILD of this latex layer?

The HR foam has what density and what progressive resistence/support factor?

Is the mattress an 11in mattress?"

Matsleep: “sure,yes it is Natural Latex Mattress 50LD density. yes it is 11 inches heigh Mattress!!
Our base Support foam is 25LD. to explain you better, we designed all the layer in such a way it better both center and edge support. Side of the mattress has quilting with Handles”

EDIT: I clarified further to determine the densities.
Matsleep: “Base foam which is 25ILD is a high durable 2.5 lb density foam”… “[latex] is 3lb”.

Here is what I’ve put together in sum (top to bottom):
Tencel top fabric which I did not ask about
1" Natural Latex top layer (3 lb, 50 ILD)
2" Gel infused memory foam layer (5 lb)
8" HR foam core layer (2.5 lb, 25 ILD)
Overall weight of Queen mattress is 90lb

Hi Shibadad,

Thanks for bringing them up, as they haven’t been mentioned previously on the forum. They seem to be yet another new “simplified choice” entry into the marketplace.

They are a newer company and it was incorporated 3/18/17 in New Jersey. And even if you did find some reviews about the product, reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

After about 30 days most people have an idea of whether or not a product is suitable for them, and beyond that, and especially very long trial periods like this, tends to be more about marketing.

When I performed a search on matsleep the very first item that populates is about their affiliate marketing program.

I’m not personally familiar with them, but in the brief search I’ve been able to conduct, Matsleep seems to be an exported product of China. It is an LLC in New Jersey with two registered members/managers, with a residential home location listed in New Jersey for that LLC. The business purpose is listed as ecommerce and IT. The address listed for registrant ID of their web site seems to be some sort of a warehouse complex in NJ.

I can’t speak to the quality of their foams, as my requests in their chat function were left unanswered today. But it seems that ncnc1 was able to get some specifications in this post.

As this seems to be a product imported from China, I would read post #6 here about mattresses imported from Asia and China and which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased. Being sourced in China would make this somewhat of a risky purchase IMO.

Phoenix

Hi ncic1,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

Thank you for taking the time and providing the results of your conversation with matsleep and the specifications (and clarification of such!).

Phoenix

Thank you for the amazing website! I’ve been on here for the past week or so as I am making a mattress purchase in the near future and have found this resource to be of immense help. When I saw Shibadad’s mention of matsleep, I figured if it was made of durable materials it may be something to consider so I went ahead and contacted them to find out. I didn’t think to ask about place of manufacture so thanks for figuring that out! I hope they answer your chat and confirm the foam information I have provided.

Right now I am leaning towards the kiss mattress as it has no weak links, a healthy return policy, and is one of the cheaper bed in a box options. I don’t have to decide until July though, so I’m in no hurry.

Yeah those guys, and no i’m not jordan. I just read something about them in a local paper. I’ll see if I still have the article lying around. I’m pretty sure their office space is in that building because they have investors affiliated with the space. From what I recall they created a rollable pocket coil mattress a while back and than it attracted some attention or something with private investors in the space. If i do find it ill copy the article here for you. Hope that helps. And thanks for running this forum. Just exploring it now, its pretty cool.

Hi ncic1,

I’m glad the information presented here has been helpful to you.

Unfortunately, I’ve received no replies to my queries.

As you’re probably already aware, SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. If you decide to purchase the KISS mattress, I would phone prior to placing your order just to make sure all of your questions are answered.

Phoenix

thanks for this. Ended up going with the Sedona and a split topper. Can’t wait to try it out

Hi skunkguts,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: And congratulations on your new mattress and topper! :cheer: I’ll be interested in learning about your new Sedona mattress and topper once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for this detailed Information on the one-size-fits-all category of mattresses. I have recently been intorduced to this too and i find it very appealing. I am planning to buy a mattress for my wife and I but we are very confused with the number of Options. We live in UK and there are some companies like Casper, Simba, Eve sleep, Emma mattress to Name a few. I looked through the mattress from Emma mattress and it seems to be a good fit for us considering the Price and Quality. However, in your post there is no Information about Emma mattress. Does anyone on this forum have any experience or knowledge about that Company and Quality of their mattresses? Would really appreciate your help since we are not at all happy with our old mattress since its been almost 10 years.

Thank you for the help!

Hi grayson.w,

The Emma is a new “simplified choice” offering in the UK. They unfortunately don’t list any meaningful specifications on their web site about the componentry on the inside of the mattress. The layers are as follows:

Airgocell foam (4 cm) – they don’t state if this is a high performance polyfoam or a memory foam
Small pocket springs (2 cm)
Memory foam (3 cm)
Polyfoam support core (16 cm)

In order to make an informed mattress buying decision, make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. If you’re able to acquire that information and post it back here I’ll be happy to provide commentary about it.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Hi Grayson,
I have been using the Emma Mattress for about 6 months now. My husband and I were looking for comfortable, quality mattress within a reasonable price range. I am not too aware of the technical specifications of a mattress but I can share my experience with Emma Mattress.
A friend of mine referred Emma mattress and since they provide free 100 day trial period we decided to go ahead with it. The mattress is designed very well and we enjoyed unboxing it. After a few days we felt that the mattress was a bit too soft for our liking. So we called customer service to return the mattress. They offered us a free topper that would be firmer. With the topper, the experience was much better and we decided to keep the mattress. Overall my experience with Emma Mattress was positive. I hope this information helped.
Good luck finding your mattress! :slight_smile:

Hi lucieblue22,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your mattress experience with your Emma mattress. I’m glad it was a positive one.

However, your one comment that…

…would be something which you would not be able to objectively evaluate without meaningful knowledge of the layers within the product (as I mentioned to grayson.w), and you admit that you are “not too aware of the technical specifications of a mattress”. Without that information such a statement could be viewed as more “promotional” than accurate/educational, and is one of the reasons I always advise caution about the amount of emphasis placed upon reviews or other people’s experiences in general (see post #13 here).

If you are aware of the complete specifications of the Emma mattress, please feel free to post that information back in this thread in order to share it with other site members.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

What an excellent breakdown of the “Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses” phenomenon. Being the president of FloBeds I’ve had a ringside seat since we first started shipping a “Bed In A Box” (actually 2 via UPS) in 1997. When we first saw Casper blow up, we thought: “no problem, they advertise latex but put in less than an inch!” We continued to have our best years ever.

Others copied their model. Still, a $1,000 polyfoam mattress was not what our customers wanted. We continued to thrive.

Then an interesting thing happened: Somewhere around the 50th “me-too online mattress store” we saw our sales dip. After a serious investigation into what was happening we realized that even though our FloBeds Latex Mattress can go head-to-head with any company out there, we need to be seen through all the smoke (and mirrors) before a customer can compare us. In other words, there are so many online mattress companies vying for the attention of consumers that it is much harder to get noticed.

We are fortunate that almost half our business comes from repeat customers or customer referrals: 20 years of good product and customer service is paying off. In the meantime, we will both wait for the dust to settle and surmount this new challenge with a little more traditional marketing.

Thanks again for helping folks figure out how to find the mattress that is right for them. Back in 1996 I said the traditional mattress business is the biggest shell game ever. 2017 is evidence that some games keep getting played.

Dave Turner
FloBeds.com

Hi davet,

Nice of you to visit again!

Yes, the “simplified choice” category continues to grow at a pace so fast that I can’t keep up with detailed information on all of the new offerings springing up every week, not only here but abroad. Some are offering better quality materials than others, but unfortunately there are also some “me-toos” that are popping up using lower quality materials.

Luckily for people visiting the site, our retail and manufacturing members offer some very high quality “simplified choice” and component-style offerings, combined with trusted and expert advice, and some members (such as yourself) have been doing it for quite some time.

Don’t take four years to visit the site again! It’s always nice to get some objective information and answers to the questions posted here from our trusted manufacturing members B) .

Phoenix

I won’t wait so long. Even if you don’t hear from me… know that we are appreciative of the diligent research you do topped by informed answers to member questions. Kudos!

:blush: