Simplified Choice & Motion Isolation

Hi there,

I’m evaluating the set of simplified choice mattresses that are well regarded by this site. I’m trying to get a sense of which have the best motion isolation characteristics when two people are sleeping on the bed. Setting aside motion isolation, I am interested in Helix Sleep (potentially a split mattress) and Brooklyn Bedding BME. To complicate things, I am generally not a fan of memory foam because I get hot very easily. Otherwise, memory foam would be the simple solution. Any idea how the microcoils on the Helix Sleep would affect motion isolation? In general, which non-memory foam simplified choice mattresses would have the best motion isolation?

Thanks!!

PS - I’ve read all the posts with the term “motion isolation” in them but there are only 4 that I could find.

Hi Intelsbe,

I don’t have any personal experience with any of the mattresses you are considering but motion isolation will also depend on the specifics of each couple’s body type and sleeping style, on the types and strength and “speed” of any movements, and on how closely two people sleep together so you will get very different opinions from different people and couples about how two mattresses compare in terms of motion isolation.

Latex in general and pocket coils (or microcoils) are both “good” for motion isolation/motion transfer but neither one is as effective as memory foam which is “excellent” (see post #18 here).

You will also tend to feel the properties of layers that are closer to the sleeping surface more than layers that are deeper in a mattress although with larger movements you will also feel more of the properties of the deeper layers as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness, motion transfer etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

At the end of the day because your perceptions and experience may be different from others … the only way to know for certain whether a mattress is “motion isolating enough” for you will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal sleeping experience but if you are purchasing an online mattress that has a good return/refund policy then you can test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom to find out with little risk.

Phoenix