Slats and Mattress Foundation

I am buying a new full-size bed and want to know if I should use the slats that come with the along with my new mattress and 5" foundation, or if the foundation doesn’t need the slats. Thank you.

Hi opie,

I’m not clear on what type of mattress you are purchasing so I can’t make any meaningful comments about which type of support system would be suitable for your mattress but In most cases the manufacturer or retailer of a mattress will be a reliable source of information about whether any specific foundation or a platform bed is suitable for the mattress you are purchasing. There is also more information about the different type of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

If you are purchasing a platform bed that has a slatted support surface that is suitable for the mattress you are purchasing then the slats would be OK by themselves and you wouldn’t need a foundation although it would be fine to put the foundation on top of the slats (if they are flat slats and not flexible slats) if you need the additional height.

If you are purchasing a wooden or steel bedframe that requires a foundation to provide suitable support for your mattress then you would need to add a foundation that is suitable for the mattress you are purchasing.

Phoenix

Thank you! It looks like putting the mattress right on the wooden slats should be fine. The slats have a center support as well so I think we’re in good shape. Thanks again.