Slatted Base selection for a Latex Matress - which of two choices. (yeah, I saw the sticky post)

So I’ve got an all latex mattress on order to be delivered in a week an 2 days (Monday after Thanksgiving). I opted to get my own base, so I’ve got a week to get the base in place.

The mattress is from Seattle Mattress Company, a 8" Talalay Latex 36 ILD.
I’ve added a topper of 3" 19 ILD talalay latex. SMC: The Highlands

Looking at slat bases to use in my existing king bed frame, where the old box spring will hit the pavement, I’m looking at two options:

1. Head to the local Ikea and pick up the $200+10%tax+gas Sultan Laxeby slat system.
  2. Order the $900 (delivered) Sovn Flexible Slat System
  3. Or order a fixed (more ridgid slat solution) like the $240+$81 shippingEasy Fit Box Spring Foundation
  4. or maybe the Röwa XXL slatted frame - though I cannot find any source in the US for this :frowning:

I’d really like to keep the slat solution to 5.5" or lower (so the 8" EasyFit is out I guess)

So is the $900 Sovn solution worth the additional $650 dollars (ie costing about 4x the price)? (though much less assembly effort). Is the fixed slat system the way to go?

I’m 310lbs, so body weight plays an issue. I like the idea of adjust-ability as it gives the two sides of the bed some options.

Durability, quality of parts, etc?

Hi Minok,

There are some foundation options in the foundation thread here.

These are just the slats (not a foundation) and you will need something to put them on as well such as one of their bedframes.

These are very nice but are also very expensive and may not be worth it with an 11" latex mattress where the thickness of the mattress will isolate you from much of the effect of the tension adjustable slats. Flobeds also has one here.

Make sure with these that the distance between the slats is 3" or less. Many of them are in excess of 4" which IMO is too much of a gap for a latex core mattress (although it’s fine for a polyfoam core).

These are also very nice but I also don’t know any US sources. Axelbloom have some that are similar.

I would tend to say no unless you had a thinner mattress (in the range of 6" and perhaps a bit thicker). If a mattress is designed to work best (and you have tested it) on a non flexing slatted foundation then I would tend to stay with that. In Europe where they are more common thinner mattresses are also more common.

This foundation may also make a good choice and is a kind of hybrid between flexible slats and a solid slatted surface and it comes in regular profile or low profile with a steel frame.

Phoenix

Well Sovn is like ordering a couch… they don’t have any solutions in stock… its 4-6 wks to get the unit into Dallas, but they say I can order in a 4" height and may be able to specify that it not have the cotton cover… so it stays bare wood, which I’d prefer for easier maintenance, cleaning and airflow.

Flobeds, while in Cali, is closed on Sundays, so I’ll have to call them tomorrow (Mon) to see if they can make a 4" version without the cotton cover and what their delivery time is. (almost same price as Sovn)

For the Ikea Sultan Laxeby solution, the slat system is complete, I’d just need to build a basic pair of boxes from lumber from the home store to set them 4" higher than the existing bed frame base (I already have a bed frame, its just a matter of supporting the Laxeby a big higher). As the Laxeby is 2" high, I’d only need a 2-3" high box w/ center rail below, which should be easy to buy lumber for and build at home. I can probably do that for WAY less than $200.

At this point, though, its looking like, due to the delivery times being so long, I’ll build a box and just install rigid slats accross it myself. Then if I think I’d need a bit more give (I remember trying out latex mattresses on rigid foundations in stores and felling the firm rebound as the system almost bottomed out as I got on)… I’ll order a euro-slat solution and swap it out when such a thing arrives in January.

The axelbloom solutions are not appealing because of the large amount of plastic components used. Over time I am concerned about the sourcing of replacements as the plastics harden and crack. Wood is much more predictable and replaceable.

Hi Minok,

I would also be aware that Sovn may charge higher prices than the other Berkeley Ergonomics retailers listed here.

This sounds like a great solution to me for a because I do like the Ikea Laxeby and it’s good value IMO as long as you have something to put it on securely.

Building your own solid slatted system would also be a good option and you could control the build quality and design yourself. I don’t have any links saved but I have seen some good designs in various internet searches or websites I’ve come across from time to time.

Phoenix

Built myself a slat base out of 1x4 s and 1x6 and 1x2s and some basic bolts and other hardware from HomeDepot/Lowes/Ace. Cost about $300 as I spent on the highly milled (ie sharp edges and right angles) quality pine lumber rather than the more rough finished construction lumber. Its totally dismantel-able… bolts together with 6 bolts.
Working great so far.
If there is interest, I can create a parts list and some photos and description of how its all put together, and attach to a followup post.

Hi Minok,

Well you certainly have my interest at least and I’d love to see some photos and instructions about how to build it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Attached is the writeup with pictures on the design and construction.
I used [ul]

[li]two 1x6 x8’ end boards (cut to length)[/li]
[li]six 1x4 x8’ weight bearing rail boards (cut to length)[/li]
[li]two 1x2 x8’ side rail boards to keep the slats in line[/li]
[li]15 or so 1x4 x8’ boards for the slats, cut to length once I had the foundation built.[/li]
[li]18 bolts, 24 washers, 12 nuts, 6 bolt recievers, 6 wood screws, and a host of tools.[/li]
[/ul]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi Minok,

Your design looks great and it is obviously very strong as well.

Thanks too for the clear instructions that you included. I think that anyone who wanted to could duplicate what you have done.

I’ve linked your post in the foundation thread so that any other members who want to build their own foundation can use your design and instructions.

Thank you for sharing your ideas and expertise :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hopefully others will be inspired to build their own as well.
The benefit is you control the materials, dimensions, and can then stain and seal to match an existing bed frame.

Hello Minok, that base you made looks awesome.

I’m not not handy with engineering / tools / designs. Would you consider making one for me for a fair price? Actually, I need a separable split California King base, two bases each sized 36x84". I have twins who are now age 9, but need to start sleeping apart, and who can expect to be tall like me (hence the split CalKing). It’s Tempurpedic, so needs to be solid construction (since a little heavy).

Wife and I have a (non-split) CalKing well over a decade old (so much heavier), and would be interested in a base tor it, too.

Our floors are Brazilian Cherry hardwood, so whatever stain would be good to match that.

Really nice design and photos. I wish I had your skills.

John

It would be something I’d love to help you with in another life.

Unfortunately one of the big issues is the construction is custom for my own bed… that is, I measured the dimensions of the lumber for my bed frame. I don’t have enough confidence in the uniformity of bed construction to build such a base without access to the bed(s) they are intended to go into. What worked for me, may not work for your bed. My system just barely fits into the bed. If it is an inch to short here or there it would not work in yours.

Between that and massive other commitments on my time for the next year, I’d also not have the time, even if I were local.

I will say there isn’t too much cabinet making involved… its all off the shelf home-depot / lowes lumber and hardware. Its more on-the-fly engineering of measuring, cutting, laying out, thinking, standing infront of the hardware selection in Lowes looking for a nut bolt combo… Now that I’ve built it the parts will likely work, and the only real work is measuring the dimensions in your bed frame, making sure the supports are at the right locations at the sides and center (in the case of the king) and they are well supported, and then cutting, drilling in a drill press and glue/screw the few cases there are.

You may have better luck with a local that has the tools and willing to help.

Minok,

You have inspired me to make my own foundation. I looked at several designs online and wasn’t impressed. Your version looks like a high quality, easy to build foundation that I’ll be able to navigate through my house since it breaks down to individual pieces.

Anyway, I have two questions for you:

1. Have you had any issues with squeaking, from either the joints or the adjacent 1x4 weight-bearing boards?
  2. Have you had any issues with stability, specifically the bolts loosening?

I’ve been looking over the design, and I think the only major modification I’m going to make is to go with two supports in the middle. Between the bed, my partner and me, I think it would be good to have some extra support, even if it adds some to the cost and weight of the foundation.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. I’m eager to get started on my version!

I’ve had no issues with squeaking or things coming loose, but then I’ve not been bouncing around or walking on the bed, just crawling in and out and rolling around at night, so if your a more active person in bed your results may vary.

The only things I’d mention are:

1. I’ve not yet stained the frame. While the cross boards don’t matter as they are not seen, the external box can be seen, but I’ve never had the ability to take the frame offline for the week or so it would talk to stain and dry and even then still have to deal with the offgassing of the stain and polyurethane . So if you do want to stain it, I recommend you do that after you have built it but BEFORE you put it together in your bed frame because at that point your desire to ‘be done with it’ will exceed your desire to finish that last cosmetic step.

2. If you can, run a router over the edges of the 1x4 slat boards, at least the sides you plan to face up - to round over the corners. Especially if you are one person muscling a mattress in place. Doing it myself I had to drop the mattress on the slats and then slide it in the rest of the way from the side. The sharp corners caught on the mattress fabric and I got a few splinters that broke off the slats and impaled into the latex mattress. I was able to get them back out, but its a pain to do and may well void your ability to return a new mattress if you need to.

3. I’ve not secured the slats in any way, so they work their way around a bit - not staying nicely aligned as in the picture. Its not caused a problem that I can tell. My plan was to cut a lot of small blocks I’d cut from 1x4 material to put between the slats and with the mattress off, glue and nail them small blocks between the slats in the spaces on the side rails and that would then keep the slats in place (leaving a bit of wiggle room so the slats can be easily dropped in place or removed). Something else to do.

I didn’t get to all of these things because I didn’t get the frame built in time when the new latex mattress was delivered and the old coil system removed… so I had to get the new frame in place or else put the mattress on the floor (where’s the room for that).

Thanks for the reply. It’s a big help.

I was chatting with a rep from Brooklyn Bedding tonight, and he encouraged me to put the bed on a solid surface. That seems to go against everything I’ve seen people mention in the forums. I’ll probably double-check with another rep tomorrow.

Putting 1/4-inch MDF or plywood would eliminate the need to soften the edges of all the slats. I’d only need to go around the exterior. That would save a ton of time.

I’m going to have to think about this for a bit.

Hi jdg0928,

You can read some thoughts about a solid surface vs a slatted foundation in post #10 here.

FWIW … I also sleep on a solid surface (an adjustable bed) because there was a “compelling reason” to choose it and the “pros” for an adjustable bed were enough to offset the “cons” of any added risk of having a solid surface.

Phoenix

Minok, thanks for your reply.

I’ll probably run with this foundation, to provide airflow beneath my Tempurpedic. Not as attractive as your craftsmanship, but it’ll get the job done.

Thx again for sharing your wisdom.