Sleep EZ 13 inch organic latex mattress review

Hi all!
Wanted to give everyone a 3-month update on our Sleep EZ 13 inch king latex mattress.

Decision process: My wife and I had been sleeping on an old box spring mattress with a cheap Walmart memory foam topper and were ready to make our first major mattress purchase. After doing extensive research primarily on this site as well as elsewhere we decided a latex mattress was the best choice for us, as we wanted the best quality possible and were willing to pay extra for it. Sleep EZ came up seemingly wherever we looked when it came to recommendations for latex mattresses, and given their stellar reputation we ended up going with them. They were also kind enough to give us our The Mattress Underground discount after we had already paid for the mattress! Very impressed with their customer service with the one caveat being they are much more responsive to phone calls than emails.

Long story short, 3 months later we love our new mattress. Setup was not hard and the sheets that come with the mattress are great. The combination of support and comfort in the mattress has been great for us. I went with a less traditional soft-soft-medium-firm setup, and splurged a bit extra on organic to get 100% Talalay (looked at the MSDS for 100% Talalay vs. blended, and the blended has a possible carcinogen as a component, probably nothing to worry about but I still thought the extra price was worth my peace of mind). Our decision making for this setup was based on my athletic, shoulder-heavy build. This site and a couple other reviews from athletic body types recommended a similar softer setup, and since latex skews toward hard anyway I wanted to be safe and go all Talalay even for the support layers. My wife also has an athletic build and favors softer mattresses as well. One thing to note is I went against Sleep EZ’s own recommendation for our body types (med-med-firm-xfirm for me who is 6’3" 200 lbs and soft-med-firm-xfirm for my wife who is 5’4" 150 lbs) which doesn’t account for build, their recommendation might have been fine but I’m happy with our decision.

My one regret is I ordered king sized pillows without doing much research into them and while they are high quality and work great for my wife, a side sleeper, they are too bulky for my taste as a back sleeper. I need to do more pillow research. My other slight disappointment is while the feel and support of the mattress are fantastic, I haven’t started magically sleeping better per se as I thought I might, but I’m healthy and in my mid-twenties so I view this purchase as being proactive at worst. I also know the majority of my sleep troubles come from poor sleep hygiene unrelated to the mattress, such as staying up late on weekends, watching tv/being on my phone before bed, etc. When I’m better about correcting those things I’ve been sleeping great.

Finally wanted to say TMU has been the source I needed to make the right decision, I’m very thankful to have found this site!

Our setup:
Frame
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGGJQ6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Support
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XVKHMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi nate_man123,

Thank you for your update on your SleepEZ mattress, and I’m glad that you are happy with your selection of product and configuration.

And you are correct that you should hopefully notice an increase in your time spent in the deeper phases of sleep with the minimization of your use of electronics closer to bed time and the changing of your sleep schedule on weekends. It’s amazing how much small changes in those areas will positively impact your restoration.

For more information on pillows, you may wish to visit the pillow thread here.

And while not necessarily a main concern of yours (and more for others reading this thread), regarding the MSDS, while I’m no expert in materials science or chemistry, while there may be precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of various types of foams, for example the manufacture of styrene and butadiene, when they’re combined to create synthetic rubber and then combined in the creation of foamed rubber (latex foam) they become inert and aren’t considered to be harmful, yet they can still be listed as “ingredients” in the foam. They could present a risk to the people who manufacture the foam or handle the unreacted chemical itself (which is where people commonly incorrectly relate the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) to be representative of the “safety” of a finished product), but the risk to consumers that purchase the final product would be minimal. The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are organic or natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough”, regardless of the MSDS, type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Thanks again for talking the time to provide an update, and I’m looking forward to your future updates.

Phoenix

I’m thinking about purchasing a SleepEZ organic like you have. How hot does it sleep? Did you put a mattress topper on it?

Also, is it springy?

I’m similar size to your wife with an athletic upper body. I’m wondering why you went 13 inches rather than the 10 as well?

Csj,

It sleeps very cool and summer has been very hot as well. It’s not super springy like a box spring, with my only other experience being memory foam the best way I can describe it is for our setup you sink into it similarly to memory foam except it feels way more supportive and it’s a bit more firm. The first few nights felt too hard for us but after breaking it in a bit it became much more comfortable.

No mattress topper, we just sleep directly on it.

The 13 inches choice was based on Sleep EZ’s pricing progression, for a king-sized bed it’s $2195 at 10 inches and $2495 at 13 inches, which makes the fourth 3" layer essentially half price. I figured if I’m already willing to spend 2200, then 300 more for 25% more mattress is worth it for the extra support, flexibility and durability for a 10+ year purchase.

One post that I found helpful was #14 from Phoenix here: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/memory-foam-toppers-do-any-good-ones-exist

That being said, it seems like 10 inches also seems like a great choice especially if you’re doing a size like twin where you don’t really get the extra layer at as much of a discounted value compared to the first 3 layers.

I just had the 10" version of this mattress delivered yesterday and slept on it for the first time last night. My layers were a little different though, two layers of medium talalay on top and firm Dunlop on bottom.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well my wife and I slept on it since I was expecting a bit of an adjustment period. We both find it very comfortable and did not have any pain in the morning. We were on an icomfort prodigy for several years, and tried a Purple mattress for a few days prior to buying this one.

I really like that there are no offensive odors coming from this mattress. If I stick my nose right next to the latex there is a slight rubber smell but I don’t smell anything while sleeping on it. My wife says it smells faintly of vanilla to her. I don’t do well with petrochemicals so this was a welcome change from previous mattresses.

The only issues I have with the mattress are with the quilted layer on top. According to the Sleep EZ website it is supposed to be “quilted to 1 inch” with wool. Mine is about 1/4" thick and I had to pinch and pull to verify there was any wool in the quilting. I don’t know if this is just from the compression when it was shipped and will fluff up more in time or if it’s a manufacturing defect. I have the bed on an adjustable base, and the loose cotton fabric from the quilting bunches up at the pivot point when the back is up, which feels a bit strange when laying on it.

I have also discovered that I should have picked different sized pillows. I went with the cal king ones to match the mattress, but they are a bit too thick for my comfort when sleeping on my back. They work great for side sleeping though. I can’t really complain since they were free and it was my own fault for not researching this aspect.

Other than the minor issues I am quite pleased with the purchase so far!

Hi jacoro1,

Thanks for your feedback on your new SleepEZ mattress - congratulations! :cheer: You certainly chose a product using good quality materials.

I’m happy that you are sleeping well initially on your new mattress, because as you mentioned it is common for their to be a period of adjustment expected for any new mattress purchase. And I’m also happy the normal latex “odor” isn’t an issue for you or your wife. And you are correct that with the quilting the wool will become compressed in your mattress covering.

I’m looking forward to future updates on your mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while longer.

Phoenix

What did you dislike about the Purple?

I had a bad reaction to something in the Purple mattress, probably in the elastic grid layer. My skin would start burning after a few hours where it was touching the mattress, and I would have red grid marks all over like I had been laying on a hot waffle iron. Other than that though, it seemed quite supportive and reasonably comfortable. Probably just a weird allergy or sensitivity on my part. I also developed issues with the chemicals in memory foam, which is why I went to latex. I had constant heart palpitations at night and chronic sinus issues and it took me years to figure out it was the mattress causing it. I’ve had the latex mattress for a few weeks now and haven’t had any issues. I can’t remember the last time I went 3 weeks without palpitations… definitely a worthwhile investment for me at least.

Hi jacoro1,

I’m sorry to hear about your sensitivities. As you mentioned that you are sensitive to memory foam, and memory foam is created in a similar manner to polyurethane foam through a combination of isocyanates and polyols and catalysts and surfactants (technically, it is a type of polyurethane foam with less resilience), you may also wish to avoid polyfoams as well to assist with your sensitivities.

Phoenix

Thanks for the tip Phoenix
With the all latex mattress and pillows I think I have eliminated any potential problems in my sleep area. I just feel foolish now for all the doctor appointments and late night ER visits over the years before figuring this out. The gradual progression of symptoms made it hard to diagnose. I wouldn’t have even thought to look into polyfoams as a cause if I hadn’t run across info on it while researching a new mattress after a cat pee incident!

Hi jacoro1,

You’re welcome. Just looking out for the site members here!

There’s nothing to feel foolish about, and I’m glad you were able to narrow things down eventually. Even within a mattress itself, you have componentry such as the cover (and anything it may have been treated with), the FR barrier, various foams, adhesives and even natural fibers to which you may have a sensitivity. It can be a difficult procedure diagnosing issues such as yours.

Phoenix