Sleep EZ configuration

Hi,

We’ve heard great reviews from friends on the Sleep EZ latex mattress, so wanted to ask a couple of questions before we pull the trigger.

Context
I am 5’10, 180 lbs, and hate the plush pillow top mattress I currently sleep on. Definitely want something firmer. My wife is 5’3, 120 lbs, except she is pregnant right now so a little heavier.

We are looking to get the Select Sleep 10" latex Eastern King, with 3x3" latex layers. Now on to the questions…

1. SleepEZ offers a Latex and Organic Latex mattress. Am I understanding correctly that this means the 3" latex layers are either 100% organic or a synthetic blend? Putting aside the personal preference of buying organic or not, are there any performance differences that are noticeable?

2. In my current mattress, I have a boxspring that supports the mattress. Am I understanding correctly that the analog in a latex bed a solid latex core? If so, the articles I’ve read on this site seem to indicate a preference for Dunlop for this core rather than Talalay.

3. SleepEZ offers a wool cover. Is this fire retardant, and any experiences on whether this is itchy or hot when felt through the sheets?

4. For customizing the layers, the owner (super helpful guy named Shawn) recommended Medium - Firm - Extra Firm for me, and Soft - Medium - Firm for my wife. If we mix layers like this, do we risk different heights on our respective sides as the layers compress differently over time?

5. Following up on the layers, if it turns out that Soft is not something my wife likes, should we swap the Soft for something else, or play around with the order of the layers? Can you even stack the layers if they are not in order of increasing firmness?

6. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Hi s.mattress.underground,

The Organic Select line gives you a choice between 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay layers and has an organic cotton cover quilted with organic wool.

The Natural Select line gives you a choice between 100% natural Dunlop (the same material as is in the Organic Select line) or blended Talalay and has a natural cotton cover quilted with natural wool

Neither one has a standard option to choose certified organic Dunlop latex although I believe you can request it as a special order but this may involve longer waiting times and a higher cost.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice because any type or blend of latex is a good quality and durable material relative to other types of foam materials such as memory foam or polyfoam. The best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer in general terms would be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

A box spring or foundation is used as part of the support system under a mattress (in combination with a bed frame) not as a component in the mattress itself.

It’s more likely that you have a foundation under your mattress than a box spring. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and because they are an “active” part of the design of a sleeping system (mattress and box spring) they can have a significant effect on the comfort, support, and the durability of some two sided mattresses (particularly if the mattress has “linked” springs). On the other hand … there are very few one sided mattresses today that are designed to use a box spring as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty for a one sided mattress which generally do best with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

The analog to a solid latex support core in a mattress would depend on the type of mattress you are comparing it to but with a typical innerspring mattress it would be the innerspring component in the mattress. There is more about some of the differences between an innerspring support core and a latex support core in post #28 here and the posts it links to but once again the choice between different types of support cores or different types or categories of mattress (see this article) would be a preference and budget choice rather than a better/worse choice.

Yes … the wool is used as the fire retardant to pass the fire regulations. It’s not itchy because there is no contact with the skin and wool is among the best temperature regulating materials used in the industry (in both directions). A wool mattress protector or a wool topper is a popular solution for a mattress that sleeps too warm.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The thickness of the layers are the same so the height on each side will be the same. Latex is also among the most durable material in the industry so the height will stay the same over time and there will be less in the way of body impressions than their would be with other types of foam materials such as polyfoam or memory foam. There is more about the pros and cons of split firmness mattresses in post #2 here.

You can arrange the layers in any order you wish but I would cross that bridge when you come to it because which if any changes you may need to make would depend on the specifics of your experience. In general (and again depending on what you were trying to change) I would rearrange layers first and then if that wasn’t successful I would exchange a layer. They will also be the best source of guidance about the type of changes in terms of rearranging or exchanging layers that would have the best chance of success.

The answers to most of the more common questions and the things to think about would be in the mattress shopping tutorial. If you have a specific question that isn’t answered there I’d certainly be happy to answer it to the best of my ability but “anything” is a little bit too general for me to help with :slight_smile:

As you probably know SleepEZ is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and you are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

Hi Phoenix, Thanks for all the info available on your site.
We went to the Sleep EZ showroom in Tempe yesterday and were impressed with their products and service. The Sleep Select 7" model seems to be the best match for us and we plan to make a purchase soon.

Hi KevinV,

I switched your post into a new topic of its own so your posts don’t get mixed up with the posts in another members topic.

You are fortunate to live near the SleepEZ showroom so you can try their mattresses in person. As you know you are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve pulled the trigger and have received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi,It was a little bit of a drive but worth the trip.
I’ll be sure to follow up once we have the mattress for a few weeks.

this was very useful to read. i had similar questions. thanks!

Hi moreslowwave and s.mattress undergrouind:

You’re both quite welcome!

Phoenix