Sleep ez latex content

Does blended latex mean synthetic fillers? Does sleep ez reveal how much filler is added to latex?
Is it important to know the IDL? I will be buying latex mattress without benefit of trying it out. This site seems very pro sleep ez, so I am leaning that way.
Thank you very much.

Hi Marytoler,

Blended latex means it has some percentage of synthetic latex in the composition. Im sure they would reveal that information if you asked. The percentage breakdown can vary from 90% natural with 10% synthetic to 90% synthetic with 10% natural and all possible combinations in between and more.

ILD is important if you really want to get down the make up of densities when you have laid on a mattress and have concrete information to do comparative shopping. Ordering online without trying it out, you should be able to give the company your weight and sleep preferences and they point you in the right direction.

Thank you for information!

Hi Marytoler,

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

I think you may have a misunderstanding of the nomenclature and to what it refers in regards to latex. I’ll provide a few links for you to read that hopefully will clear that up for you.

Here’s a description of the different types of latex in post #6 here.
Some general information about latex is listed here.

To make it quite simple, latex is first classified by its production process, either Talalay or Dunlop. It is then classified by its actual liquid latex composition, which can be all natural latex (NR), called 100% NR, or all synthetic latex styrene-butadiene (SBR), called 100% SBR, or a blend of the two, called NR/SBR. Talalay latex that is blended would be 70% SBR / 30% NR. Blended Dunlop has more variations.

The manufacture of all of these different types of latex foam may or may not include the use of fillers. Fillers are often used as a way to keep cost down or create a different feel. They are added in small amounts, only to the point where they won’t impact durability.

Post #18 talks about some of the chemicals used to make latex foam.

You can read more about Dunlop (of either type) vs Talalay latex in post #7 here.

There is more about the differences between NR and SBR latex in post #2 here.

SleepEZ uses different types of latex from different manufacturers, and they will be able to tell you about the composition of any of the latex they offer, or as much as a manufacturer will share. Some exact percentages and ingredients are closely guarded trade secrets. But overall they are very complete with the specifications they can provide you.

Whether it contains fillers or not, all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will also have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, or blended) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing), and a very high quality product.

I think you meant ILD (Indentation Load Deflection), which in general terms is the “softness” of the foam. Knowing ILD is certainly useful when learning about a potential online purchase, but it is not an indicator of quality. ILD is not exact, and can vary by a certain percentage and still be within an acceptable range for designation. Some companies choose to label their foams as “soft”, “medium” or “firm” instead of using ILDs. Many of the online retail members of this site will list ILDs of their foams. It is important to note that the same ILD can result in a different level of comfort across brands of latex, and also across types of latex (especially Dunlop versus Talalay, where Dunlop is more accurately described by its density as opposed to its ILD).

The only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it. When you’re not able to test a product in person, the next best thing to do is have a detailed conversation with a knowledgeable manufacturer who can assist you through the process. They will have the experience of helping thousands of different people of different sleeping styles using the particular products they offer. They will have your best interests at heart and it’s in their own best interest to find something that gives you the best chance to sleep comfortably. And when shopping online, it is important for you to find out beforehand the potential return/exchange policies of any company, should you have the need to fine tune your selection.

SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

The manufacturers and retailers who are members of this site must meet requirements for the quality of their products, their transparency, product knowledge and customer service. There are very few companies who qualify for membership here, and we have confidence in those that have passed our vetting process.

I may have provided you a bit more information than you wanted, but an educated consumer is an empowered consumer! B)

I look forward to learning about your progress and what you decide to do.

Phoenix

Thank you! I have some studying to do!