Sleep EZ Organic vs. Natural latex mattress

Thanks for all your tips and info! My brain is about to explode with knowledge. After much research I have narrowed my search for Queen bed to either sleep ez natural select latex- blended talay 3-3 inch layers vs.
or organic select latex- 100% talay with 3- 3 inch layers.
I am back/side sleeper and wife is side sleeper with herniated disk.
A little background info.
We went to local manufacturer- Hawn Bedding and tested a 6 inch Dunlop with soft model and a med firm
model- with foundation and also box springs. Only true latex mattress we could find in Kansas city area.
Felt pretty firm for both except when they were on box springs which most do not recommend for latex.
Anyhow,
I have purchased a Zinius Platform Bed with wooded slats 3 inches apart on Amazon to try.
I just have to decide on mattress, when I contacted Sleep EZ they actually were recommending the cheaper by about $100, Blended talay over the organic 100% talay. Saying that the blended (70% synthetic/30% natural) would provide more comfort and provide about the same durability and that blended technology has come along way.
As for customer reviews, I have not seen a lot that specify one of these two mattresses.
Any thoughts or comparisons?

Thanks, Scott

Hi scott5903,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just scott5903 (or any username you wish).

[quote]We went to local manufacturer- Hawn Bedding and tested a 6 inch Dunlop with soft model and a med firm
model- with foundation and also box springs. Only true latex mattress we could find in Kansas city area.
Felt pretty firm for both except when they were on box springs which most do not recommend for latex.[/quote]

With a thin latex mattress (typically in the range of 6" or so) that may be too firm by itself a box spring can help create a softer feel and more of a “bottomless feeling” than the same mattress on a solid platform and is often used by manufacturers with thinner latex mattresses. A box spring may also create some motion transfer but you can check for this when you test the mattress.

[quote]I just have to decide on mattress, when I contacted Sleep EZ they actually were recommending the cheaper by about $100, Blended talay over the organic 100% talay. Saying that the blended (70% synthetic/30% natural) would provide more comfort and provide about the same durability and that blended technology has come along way.
As for customer reviews, I have not seen a lot that specify one of these two mattresses.
Any thoughts or comparisons?[/quote]

Not surprisingly they are correct on both counts (in terms of feel and in terms of durability). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about blended Talalay vs 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here. The blended Talalay can be a little bit more durable (in softer ILD’s in particular) than the 100% natural and can be a little more pressure relieving as well in the same ILD so using it for at least the top layer which is the layer that is most subject to compression and foam softening over time can certainly be a good idea. There isn’t any organic Talalay latex but there is 100% natural Talalay which is also a high quality material.

[quote]As for customer reviews, I have not seen a lot that specify one of these two mattresses.
Any thoughts or comparisons?[/quote]

Both types of Talalay are a high quality material and there would be no weak links in either mattress.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, “value”, or the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (which would include both of the manufacturers you are considering) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Both of the options you are considering would be a good quality/value choice but unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise I would tend to go with their suggestions.

Phoenix

Phoenix, Thanks again for informative info, I will proceed with what they recommend. Yes, please change username by removing @ and domain. Scott

Hi scott5903,

I’ve changed your username and you can log in with it now.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you are making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix