Sleep EZ Roma Natural Mattress

Hi Phoenix,

Big fan of this website & your expertise. I haven’t heard much about Roma Natural Mattress but I’m interested in purchasing. It seems like it is flippable & 100% Dunlop Latex. Do you know what the breakdown is in inches of Medium vs Firm? We’re hoping for a mattress more on the firm side rather than soft side.

Have there been any reports of indentation/sagging with medium firmness latex from Sleep EZ? That is my husband & I’s biggest concern.

Any advice on durability of a mattress like this before it may start to sag? Would it help to sleep on the firm side rather than the Medium side? (We have a platform bed with 3 inch wood slats-- would the medium firmness sag into the openings between the slats? Would that affect the performance of the mattress?)

Also not sure if this would quality for the Mattress Underground 5% discount. Please advise!
Thank you so much!!!

Hi smoo,

It’s usually best to confirm the specifics with them but based on the information here and my conversations with them I believe it has a 4" layer of @40 ILD 100% natural Dunlop with a 3" layer of @26 ILD 100% natural Dunlop on one side and then it’s finished on both sides with an organic cotton stretch cover quilted with a thin layer of polyfoam. It’s certainly a very good quality/value mattress. It would also give you two firmness options (one on each side) but it’s likely that once you knew which side you preferred you would probably sleep on the one that works best for you … at least most of the time … rather than flipping it on a regular basis to the side that was different from what you preferred. NOTE ADDED: The price on the Roma has since been reduced and the thickness of the 4" layer has been changed to 3".

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials regardless of which manufacturer uses it in their mattress and since there isn’t more than an inch or so of polyfoam in the quilting there are no weak links in the mattress materials or design or any reason to be worried about premature softening or sagging in the mattress. It’s always the materials in a mattress that are more important than the name of the manufacturer when it comes to durability. There is more about the different factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here.

The discount only applies to their regular mattresses because the margins are so low with their specials that unfortunately there is no additional room for any further discounts. This is the same as all the manufacturers here who provide a discount unless they have a special offer that doesn’t make any additional discounts possible.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix! Those answers were very helpful in making my decision. You’re the best! :wink:

Definitely considering this Roma Natural Mattress $895 (7" latex & 2 inches of quilting) vs 8" Dunlop Mattress (3 layers: I’m thinking medium-firm-xfirm) that I found $1245. Both seem like very viable & budget-friendly options. :slight_smile:

1. In general, how long would a medium-firm latex mattress last for a lightweight person (110-160lb) ? (I know there’s no really good estimate & it depends on all the factors you listed in your “sagging/compression” post but just wondering-- :S ballpark figure: 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?)

2. I’ve also heard of people flipping individual layers of Dunlop latex-type bed upside down every year to prolong the life of the mattress. What do you think about that?

3. Do you think the mattress would last longer with a 3-inch memory foam or soft latex topper ontop? (I would probably need one since the medium is likely too firm for me & I am a back/side sleeper).

4. I know in some other forums you recommended 3" comfort layer… would it be too much to have a 4.5" comfort layer? We have a 1.5" egg crate topper that we like right now & thinking about possibly adding a 3" ILD 19-22 latex topper underneath that (to go ontop of the medium ILD layer for one of the mattresses above). Husband is 160lb/ 5’ 11" & I am 110lb/ 5’ 6"…not sure what you think about alignment. (both back/side sleepers) Would that be overkill?

I’m thinking about going with the more expensive option if it has the chance of lasting longer & not having to buy a whole new mattress (maybe buying a new top layer every 5-10 years?).

Excited about this new purchase!

Hi smoo,

Even ballpark figures can be notoriously inaccurate because there are so many variables and once you are past about 10 years or so then the person themselves and their changing needs and preferences over time can be the biggest variable of all but I think 15 + years wouldn’t be unreasonable if it’s still a good match for you in terms of PPP at that time.

This can have some smaller effect on durability if you have a component mattress with a zip cover that gives you access to the individual layers but the Roma is a finished mattress that doesn’t have a zip cover.

Yes … a topper will absorb some of the compression forces that would otherwise soften and break down the comfort layers of a mattress over time and can increase the durability of the upper layers of a mattress and extend the life of a mattress itself. Of course the key (and challenge) with a topper is to choose one that is the best match for you in terms of PPP in combination with a specific mattress (a topper will feel and perform differently on different mattresses because every layer and component in a sleeping system will have some effect on every other layer).

I don’t recommended any specific combination of materials or layers for any specific person because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved. Nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are some generic guidelines I’ve written that can give some insights into the theory behind different types of mattress constructions but these are only generic and not specific to any person (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

You won’t bottom out on the Roma so from that perspective you won’t “need” more latex to prevent bottoming out but if both sides are too firm for you then from the perspective of fine tuning the mattress so it’s a better match for you in terms of PPP by adding a toppper then it would make certainly make sense. I would sleep on both sides of the mattress first and then use your actual experience to decide on the type, thickness, and softness of the topper you think would work best for you. There are also some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

The 8" special certainly has more options to customize the mattress both before and after a purchase and is also a great value. It also uses 100% natural Talalay latex in the comfort layer and a which you may prefer and as you mentioned you would have the options of just replacing layers instead of the whole mattress when and if that becomes necessary. When you are making final choices between “good and good” then which one would be “best” for you would really depend on your conversations with SleepEZ and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks again, Phoenix!!! I’ll hopefully be ordering this/next week & let you guys know how it goes!

Hi smoo,

You are certainly looking at some good options and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing when the time comes to pull the trigger :slight_smile:

Phoenix