Sleep EZ Select Organic Latex vs. PlushBeds Botanical Bliss

Hi all,

We are looking at either the Sleep EZ Select Organic Latex Mattress or the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss. It appears that Sleep EZ uses 100% natural latex, whereas Botanical Bliss has an organic Dunlop core. Does it matter whether the latex is organic or just 100% natural? Since the comfort layer in the Botanical Bliss is natural Talalay (not organic), does an organic Dunlop core make a difference in terms of emissions and toxicity since you’re sleeping more on the comfort layer rather than the core?

Also, does anyone know if 100% Joma wool from New Zealand is organic or not? The representative at PlushBeds did not provide an informative answer when I asked.

Thank you!

Hi fujiapple,

I would keep in mind that “safety” certifications and organic certifications are completely different types of certifications that have very different criteria. There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here. There is also more about the different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and about certified organic Dunlop latex in post #6 here (there is no certified organic Talalay latex) but all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

There is more about how Plushbeds compares to SleepEZ in this topic and in post #2 here and a forum search on “Plushbeds SleepEZ” will bring up much more information and feedback about how they compare as well.

Plushbeds uses good quality and durable materials in their mattresses (natural or organic Dunlop and Talalay latex) and they would certainly be a “better than average” choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. They do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention for those that are looking for a latex mattress. They are also in a higher budget range than many other similar mattresses so I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other component latex options that are available to you.

SleepEz also uses high quality materials in their component mattresses (100% natural Dunlop or Talalay and blended Talalay) and offers many more options in terms of material choices and layering possibilities, has more ways to customize their mattresses, has better exchange options, has a lower cost, has great customer support and service and for most people would be better “value”. They are also a member of this site which means I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency, and of course the 5% discount for the members of the forum is an added bonus.

I believe that their wool is natural (not organic).

Phoenix

Thank you for your detailed and quick response!

Unless the manufacturer can produce a GOTS certification for the bedding in question, consider it other than organic.

If it says 100% organic wool but there is no GOTS certification to prove it, consider it natural, not organic.

Thank you, PapaMike!

One other question for everyone - I noticed that flexus comfort is a member of the Mattress Underground. Has anyone had an experience purchasing from them?

There’s a Search Box at top right. Type in Flexus Comfort and Search.

Hi fujiapple,

My reply here from earlier today may be helpful as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix