Sleep EZ vs Flexus Latex Mattress

Hello!
I am in the market to purchase a new mattress, and I have been mining this site for it’s wealth of information, and now I’ve finally decided to post my own question! We decided a latex mattress would be the best fit for our needs, and after much research and going back and forth, we seem to have narrowed it down to two companies: Sleep EZ and Flexus. The price range seems very reasonable; both companies seem very transparent in their business practices, and both come recommended by this site.

Specifically, the mattress we are looking at is:

Sleep EZ - Natural Select Sleep 13 inch Latex Mattress, Queen Size
or
Flexus - Natural Comfort 13 inch Latex Mattress, Queen Size

Does anyone have any experience buying from either company or experience with this type of mattress? In regards to the mattress, I am wondering if slipping between the layers will be a problem for this type of stack-able mattress; or will we be constantly unzipping the cover to realign the layers? I would be grateful for any buying advice anyone could provide on this type of mattress of on either company.
Thanks!

Hi booknerd,

You are certainly looking at two great choices. As you mentioned both of them are members of this site which means I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

While they are very similar … the main difference between them in terms of their design is the type and blend of latex that each of them offer for each of their layers. SleepEZ provides a choice of either 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay in each of their layers while Flexus uses 100% natural Dunlop in their bottom layers and uses blended Talalay in their top layer. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There are hundreds of forum members that have purchased a component latex mattress from one or the other and are very happy with their purchase. Forum searches on SleepEZ and on Flexus (you can just click the links) will bring up many more comments and feedback about both of them.

There is more about the pros and cons of component latex mattresses with unglued layers and zip covers vs finished mattresses in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

There is also more about the pros and cons of split layers in post #2 here.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include both SleepEZ and Flexus) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I bought two latex component mattresses last month (Twin XL). These are also 13" thick (four 3" latex layers with 1" cover thickness). The bottom three layers are dunlop and the top layer is talalay. These mattresses are on adjustable foundations with both head and leg lifts. I have not noticed any layer shifting and we use the adjustable features daily. Even though I purchased from a different company than the two you are looking at, I would bet that their mattress covers are similar in how tight the layers fit into it. My mattress cover is heavy and designed to be snug around the layers and I assume the other companies would also have heavy and durable snug fitting covers since they are highly regarded companies.

I also noticed that layers kind of stuck together when I assembled the mattresses. Not stuck like glue, but abrasive like. They do not slip and slide. You really do have to use the “wave” motion to adjust the layers on top of each other.

Well, we went for it yesterday and purchased the Flexus 13" Natural Comfort Latex Mattress; they will be delivering it sometime next week. James (I think was his name) at Flexus was very helpful and knowledgeable during the buying process and we walked away with $200 off (sale price) and two free latex pillows. (**I believe they were offering 2 free latex pillows OR a cotton sheet set with the purchase of a latex mattress.) Will post pictures and my experience with the mattress when it comes in.
Thanks so much for your (quick) responses - this website really has been a fantastic resource for what can be a confusing and stressful purchase.
Now, on to search the forum for sheet set suggestions! :woohoo:

Hi booknerd,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

There is some good information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that may be helpful.

Phoenix

You may find choosing sheets and pillows more difficult than choosing a mattress. One thing for sure, all three must be just right to bring together the ultimate sleep experience.

We tested several sheets and settled on linens. There’s no going back to percale or sateen, that’s for sure.

Pillows. We’re sleeping on our own customized (just mixed yesterday) 60/40 wool/latex blend. Wool firms the pillow and latex keeps it loose and easy to form.

Let us know what you find.