Sleep Hot - what to look for?

Hi Rcsauvag,

They can have a significant effect on temperature regulation and there are certainly many people that have solved temperature regulation issues on mattresses that they may otherwise sleep hot on by changing their mattress protector or their sheets or even the bedclothes they sleep in.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system (including your sheets and bedding) that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation and on maintaining a drier microclimate closer to the skin than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

The thread count of sheets can be very misleading and the type of fabric in the sheets and it’s breathability and ability to wick or absorb moisture and maintain a less humid microclimate can have a much bigger effect on temperature but in some cases ultra high thread counts can reduce breathability which in turn could affect temperature regulation.

@jbrill,

The “spinal gel” pad that loom and leaf uses is a “soft solid” gel material and not a gel infused foam. There is more about the different types of gel materials in post #2 here.

There are also some comments about the Loom & Leaf along with many of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and the first post in the same topic would probably be worth reading as well. There are also some more detailed comments in post #5 here. A forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

Their Comfort+ option is polyfoam which tends to be more breathable than memory foam. Holes that are punched in a foam may have a slight effect on durability but the effect wouldn’t be significant enough that I would take it into consideration in terms of durability.

You’re very welcome … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

If you let me know your city or zip code (or postal code) I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix