Sleep Hot - what to look for?

First - excellent site, have learned a lot reading all the overviews!

So far, my only real experience with memory foam has been the purchase of a mattress topper from Costco to extend the life of a “luxury extra-firm” innerspring mattress from an “S” manufacturer. At first if felt like heaven (middle of winter) but by summer I was unbearably hot!

Since our “S” mattresses is way past it’s best before date (we estimate it is now 17+ years old!), suffering from waking up daily with back aches, it is time for a change.

Sleeping hot is a big issue for me but not for my wife who is known to sleep in flannel PJ’s even during summer! At first I was leaning towards the Loom and Leaf mattress as it claimed to be the coolest memory foam mattress on the market with it’s spinal gel layer and plant based naturally cool 5lb foam. However, after further investigation and lack of reviews post 120 days, I’m concerned that gel layers really just act as temporary heat sinks but do gradually get hot. My experience with a foam pillow with a gel layer side seems to confirm this. Cold at the start but quite warm/hot when I wake up.

The other mattress I’m contemplating is the Novosbed. The perforated top layers sounds like it should do a good job of getting airflow through the mattress and keeping things cool. However, I worry that compression from me on it would negate this airflow. The Comfort+ option with Novosbed is also favourable but I fear that this too would compromise the cooling properties of the first layer as you would covering it up with a topper…

I’m very close to pulling the trigger on either bed. The poor exchange rate is almost eliminating the Loom and Leaf from contention (and the lack of full disclosure on the support layer density likely below 1.8lb as described on this site).

There is almost nothing to lose from trying out the Novosbed for 120 days just as summer is about to start to test its true heat management capabilities…

Final question, what firmness to get? As stated above, we have slept on an “S” luxury extra-firm mattress for almost 20 years. Is it best to go with the Novosbed firm and “soften it up” with Comfort+ if we find it too hard or to go with the medium and “firm it up” with Comfort+. I’m a ~210lb stomach-side-back (in that order) sleeper (could be due to being unable to find a comfortable lasting position!) and my wife is a ~130lb side sleeper (who thinks she likes “firm” because as a kid that’s what the family doctor recommended to the family).

Long story short, any advice on what system actually works for memory foam for “hot sleepers”? Is there a system (Leesa’s aveno foam? Gel infused miracle I’m not aware of?) I should also look into? Is latex a better (but more expensive?) proposition?

Thanks again for this great and informative site.

Hi jbrill,

The “hand feel” of most gel memory foams will be noticeably cooler than regular memory foam but temperatures will tend to equalize over time at which point the insulating properties of the foam will become dominant. The amount and type of gel in the foam can affect whether the temperature benefits will last longer or shorter and the cell structure and amount of airflow through foam will also play a very significant role in reducing heat buildup in the material.

In other words (as you mentioned) … while gel memory foam can sleep a little cooler when you are first going to sleep at night … in most cases the benefits of the gel tend to be temporary and don’t normally last over the course of the night

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range (some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with) and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

In regards to sleeping hot, how much do sheets, NOT comforters, have to do with the equation? Does a higher or lower thread count allow more air to pass through to the mattress or not?

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! You described exactly my experience with gel infused foams. My fear with the “spinal gel” pad Loom and Leaf appears to employ is that the gel is most likely encased in some sort of membrane and is most likely not breathable. I just don’t see how that system can work in the long run without making me feel clammy.

As for mattress protectors and sheets, if I went the Novosbed route, the mattress appears to come with the mattress protector as part of the system and it can be removed for cleaning (the whole point of a mattress protector). Not adding an additional mattress protector should help with allowing the mattress breathe and not compromise their system(?). Sheets are 100% 300-600 cotton thread counts and the duvet is an Ikea 3+1 system (summer, fall/spring, and winter weight combinations) with cotton cover.

I have tried both the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze (med-firm) and Rhapsody Breeze (firm) and on initial impressions could live with either for firmness. Of course, spending only 15 minutes is not a true test and the B&M store doesn’t want me to spend the night with one on loaner :wink: .

However, my question is probably best posed to Novosbed directly if I should go firm first and soften later or go soft first and firm up later with their Comfort+ options. I’m just worried adding a layer could compromise their cooling system. Also, worried that by drilling holes into their foam, this could impact longevity as well.

Thanks again for this great site, I’ll let the board know what I end up going with. There is a local company that sells a latex bed using the Dunlop process I will try to check out but with prices starting at $1,800+, guess their B&M infrastructure is requiring steep markups.

John

Hi Rcsauvag,

They can have a significant effect on temperature regulation and there are certainly many people that have solved temperature regulation issues on mattresses that they may otherwise sleep hot on by changing their mattress protector or their sheets or even the bedclothes they sleep in.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system (including your sheets and bedding) that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation and on maintaining a drier microclimate closer to the skin than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

The thread count of sheets can be very misleading and the type of fabric in the sheets and it’s breathability and ability to wick or absorb moisture and maintain a less humid microclimate can have a much bigger effect on temperature but in some cases ultra high thread counts can reduce breathability which in turn could affect temperature regulation.

@jbrill,

The “spinal gel” pad that loom and leaf uses is a “soft solid” gel material and not a gel infused foam. There is more about the different types of gel materials in post #2 here.

There are also some comments about the Loom & Leaf along with many of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and the first post in the same topic would probably be worth reading as well. There are also some more detailed comments in post #5 here. A forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

Their Comfort+ option is polyfoam which tends to be more breathable than memory foam. Holes that are punched in a foam may have a slight effect on durability but the effect wouldn’t be significant enough that I would take it into consideration in terms of durability.

You’re very welcome … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

If you let me know your city or zip code (or postal code) I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=64120]
If you let me know your city or zip code (or postal code) I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.
Phoenix[/quote]

I’m in Ottawa/Gatineau

Hi jbrill,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Ottawa area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in posts #2 and #3 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=64135]Hi jbrill,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Ottawa area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in posts #2 and #3 here.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks,

I visited Matelas Lapensee and they are expensive and vague on material specs ($2,800!)

Obasan and Essentia latex mattresses are also very expensive in Ottawa ($2500+)

Anyways, I just put in my order for a Novosbed Medium Queen. On a 5-7 day backorder but should arrive late next week!

John

Hi jbrill,

According to their site their queen size mattresses range from about $300 to about $3600 and as far as I’m aware they are completely transparent about the materials in their mattresses when you ask them. The price of a mattress depends on many factors and $2800 would probably include latex which is a more expensive material.than memory foam and much more expensive than polyfoam.

Obasan uses certified organic Dunlop latex in their mattresses which is a much more costly material as well so they are in higher budget ranges but they certainly make some very high quality mattresses.

There are some comments about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them (as well as some of the FTC issues they have had about their claims) in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). Some of the discussion in this topic may be helpful as well. I certainly wouldn’t treat the information on their website (or on some of the other websites I’ve seen that write about them either) as a reliable source of “fact based” information and I would also make some very careful “value” comparisons before considering any Essentia mattress because they do tend to be in a higher budget range than other mattresses that use similar materials.

Congratulations on your new mattress. You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi, I was looking with my husband recently for a mattress. It was a complex process - we both needed a mattress with good support but also soft so to allow our pressure points - shoulders, hips etc to sink in. My physical therapist was advising us all the way. However, we are of different weight and though we need the “same” thing our different weight means we actually need two different mattresses. Another issue was temperature. I have a lower than average body temperature, around 35 Celsius, while my husband is above average, I call him “my little oven”. We tried the Tempur Cloud, and he could not bear it for more than a few minutes, because of the heat, while I would have probably hated it too, because overheating (like normal human temperature :-)) makes me dizzy and naseous. Then we stumbled upon Magniflex, and we loved them. They have two mattresses inside, which you can flip so one is harder than the other, and this is what they have in most of their models. We bought a Diamante, which is quite upscale, and goes for about 2500 EUR here in Europe, something like 3000 USD in the US I think? Its the best decision ever. It has healed many small kinks we had with our hips, shoulders and spine (I had a disc surgery 2 years ago so I really appreciate it). Its not at all hot, I dont notice any offgassing, other than a faint smell which is actually pleasant. It looks really nice. I even have some issues with insomnia, and I have noticed that even when I sleep badly, my body feels rested. I registered on this forum, which I read extensively while looking for a mattress, to recommend this mattress because I did not see anyone specifically mentioning it, so other people looking to find out about it can see my contribution.

Hi tatjanap,

Welcome all the way from Europe :slight_smile:

I switched your post into a new topic of its own with a more descriptive title so your comments will be easier to find and won’t get mixed in with another member’s topic.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your mattress … I appreciate it.

There have been quite a number of comments on the forum about Magniflex mattresses but none of them mentioned the Diamente model which you purchased. A forum search on Magniflex (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention them.

Hopefully you were able to confirm the density of all the foam layers in your mattress to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress but it’s certainly great to hear that you are sleeping so well on your mattress and it sounds like you certainly made a great choice in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

Thanks again.

Phoenix