Sleep Mart (Canada- BC)

Hi there, been browsing this site for a week and it’s so nice to be able to read unbiased reviews and very helpful information. Thank you so much.

So I’ve looked at this outlet (Sleep Mart) online and visited one store this week. Salesman said the company has been in business 20 years. They sell plasma beds. They’re also linked to “Plasmabed Store” when you google plasma bed. The problem is if I google company I can’t find anything about the company either good or bad. Of course they have their own link to satisfied customers but I think it’s better from an independent source. It’s strange that if you google complaints or just company name that NOTHING turns up except links to their own websites. Am I missing something?
Do you know anything about the company and its reputation?

One other question. I’m interested in purchasing a mechanized bed/hospital type bed that one can raise and lower both the legs and upper body, massage would be nice… Split queen so that way each half can be independent. cAn you point me to a site that’ll enlighten me as to quality brands and what to look for?

Thanks so much.

Hi Bedcomfort,

[quote]So I’ve looked at this outlet (Sleep Mart) online and visited one store this week. Salesman said the company has been in business 20 years. They sell plasma beds. They’re also linked to “Plasmabed Store” when you google plasma bed. The problem is if I google company I can’t find anything about the company either good or bad. Of course they have their own link to satisfied customers but I think it’s better from an independent source. It’s strange that if you google complaints or just company name that NOTHING turns up except links to their own websites. Am I missing something?
Do you know anything about the company and its reputation?[/quote]

There is more about Plasmabed and SleepMart in post #2 here and the other posts and the forum search it links to that may be helpful. I would always make sure that any retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with can provide you with all the information listed here about the materials and components inside their mattress.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

You may have seen this already but just in case you haven’t … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Vancouver, BC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hello, like Phoenix said if you read the topic I posted you will see that I did not have a good experience with this company. You can read my full reviews on "yelp’ but it’s under “unrecommended” reviews because i think the company reported the review. they called me and asked me to remove it. in sharing my experience with others I have learned very undesirable things about the plasmabeds also. I recommended purchasing from a retailer with a good company track record and who have nothing to hide.

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I visited the store in North Vancouver just as a matter of interest.
Your honest opinion is valuable to others such as myself. It’s nice to know we live in a democracy where we can express our opinions freely. I checked out Yelp and saw review.
Phoenix gave me a lot of info and my homework will take quite awhile to sift through before I make a decision.

Thanks again and I hope you got something you are happy with.

I found something I love, yes. Best of luck to you in your search.

Just an update on Sleep Mart. When I asked the salesman what the material was inside the mattresses I was told it’s a secret - LOL - they wouldn’t be wanting to give me their formula and such. I was a bit shocked but accepted it. I zeroed in on the adjustable bed. At no time did they divulge which brand it was but showed me all the gizmos. After I left and did some research I discovered that it was most probably L&P as they’re an authorized dealer. They also have a warehouse on their premises upstairs where they make their own mattresses.

After a couple of weeks I phoned again to inquire about the best price for the L&P adjustable. The person who answered said it’s Plasma adjustable and I said as they’re an authorized dealer I’d like to inquire about the L&P. Another person came on and said they do have L&P and gave me a price, which at the time they had an ad in the newspaper that said 60% off Plasma adjustable beds. Believe me, the price I was quoted was not anywhere near 60% off. I suppose you can split hairs and maybe they’ve got another model of another brand of adjustable bed somewhere just in case.

I also happened to find out that some friends had bought the adjustable bed and mattress from Sleep Mart 2 years ago. We went over to check it out. They absolutely love their bed and mattresses (split king). When I laid down it did feel really nice - but I kept thinking about what was inside and how long it’d last. Of course I never voiced this aloud to them. They had no idea what brand they had, just Plasma bed. So I checked out their remote and on the remote it said “S-Cape.” Bingo. They also showed us their bill. On the bill it claims it’s a “plasmawave adjustable base.” They also thought their mattresses/beds were from Switzerland. I suspect this belief is because SleepMart has a subsidiary named “Swissopedic.” Who knows what was said during the selling process and I didn’t ask. I kind of like full disclosure from a retailer myself.

Sleep Country - I went into their store on Broadway and inquired about the different brands of adjustable beds and if the salesman could give me a list so I could go and do some research on the companies. He flatly refused - LOL. I walked out - end of story.

Sleep Shop - I went into the Broadway store. The woman I dealt with was quite nice. They had Ergomotion (Chinese brand) and L&P (S-Cape and Elite). I was really confused as L&P doesn’t have an Elite version. So after a bit I phoned their Richmond store and a fellow told me that in Canada they’ve changed the name from L&P D-222 to Elite. In my opinion that’s just to confuse customers even more so you don’t know how to compare. The interesting thing is the Elite is twice as expensive as the S-Cape. The price differential doesn’t justify the extra cost as you can see when you look at specs of the beds.

If I were an American I’d buy L&P from Richmond Bedding in Virginia. We Canadians are being asked to pay way more even taking into account the exchange rate. The D-222 Twin XL is $1540 US and the S-Cape is $1000 US. So a $540 US difference. It’s not double. And they’re making a profit obviously.

I decided on the Leggett & Platt adjustable bed because they’ve been in business the longest, have track record and it’s made in America. All the other brands who don’t have the same record sell for a few hundred less than L&P, or in some cases just as much, depending where you shop,

So if you go to the L&P website you can find who their authorized dealers are. In the Vancouver area there are only 2 chains (Sleep Mart and Sleep Shop). If you’re willing to go further afield, there are some independent stores that sell L&P for a more reasonable price than the above 2 chains. I bought from Mcleary’s in Langley and was happy with a much fairer price - more in line with Richmond Bedding’s prices.

I hope this is helpful for others in their search.

Hi Bedcomfort,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback about your adjustable bed purchase … I appreciate it.

You certainly did some great research that should be helpful for others in the area.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new adjustable bed :slight_smile:

Phoenix

You know, I couldn’t have done it without the wealth of information on your mattress forum to lead me in the right direction. Before I came to this site I was clueless. Too many people’s eyes glaze over when talking about mattresses and beds and they can’t be bothered to get educated about it. Their loss. Thanks again for hosting this wonderful site.