Sleep needed.

I’d like to start off with this is a great site, I’d hate to think what I might buy without it. I’ve been researching mattresses for a couple weeks now, a lot. I think it’s cutting into my sleep as much as my old mattress. I’ve gone through the membership list and looked at all their products. Seems like everytime I think I decide on something, I think I may like something else better. So, I thought it best to post and get more insight.

I’m looking for a latex mattress, I’m done with springs. I definitely want something that one way or another has flexibility on exchanging layers, if it’s layered. On a spring mattress I usually prefer a plush non-pillowtop or a firmer pillowtop. I probably sleep 80% or more on my side, but I do sleep on my back the remainder. The problem I always have is my hips not being supported enough. I’m 5’8" and average around 215. I have broad shoulders and narrow hips. I need a mattress that will allow my hips to be supported, yet allows my shoulders to sink in when I’m on my side. When I’m sleeping on my back, I can sleep on about anything, so it’s not much of a factor.

Are there any mattress stores that sell latex in the Lacrosse, Wisconsin area? I shopped at all that I’m aware of and I didn’t notice any latex mattresses. Even if I didn’t buy from them, it would probably help narrowing things down. The things that are important to me are comfort, value, being health conscious and customer service. If it’s comfortable and health conscious the value and customer service will probably take of themselves. I’d like to expect to spend in the $1500-$2000 range. Of course less would be fine and I could go a little higher. I probably wouldn’t need an entirely organic mattress, but it would be nice and I certainly don’t want to see how big of pile of chemicals I can sleep on. I’d also be leary of a low quality, thick topper material that over time will allow my hips to sink in.

I thought I had it pretty well narrowed down and then I came up with a Frankenstein mattress idea ( which may be the best option ) and that opened a whole new can of worms. So, here I am and open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi rvw,

Unfortunately looking at mattresses online is unlikely to ever get you closer to deciding on the best mattress for you because you won’t be able to tell which is a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP or which materials you may prefer. You may have read this already but just in case you haven’t … the first place I would start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices. Once you’ve read some basic information about mattress materials that may interest you and what to avoid (steps 1 and 2) then only your own personal testing will be able to “translate” all the information into your own personal experience so you can “feel” what you are reading about.

Post #2 and #3 here include the better options in your area I’m aware of. You would need to call them to find out which of them sell latex mattresses and which ones will provide you with the information you need about the materials inside their mattresses (see this article).

If you are planning to design your own DIY mattress (vs an online component mattress which already has a proven design) then I would make sure you read post #4 here and the links in option 3 first to make sure you have realistic expectations of success.

The best approach for a DIY construction is a “spirit of adventure” and a willingness to experiment through trial and error and what you learn along the way and the rewards of the process itself are more important to you than any cost savings (which you may or may not realize).

Phoenix

Thanks for the prompt response. I had read the information you suggested, but I did again, it was a good refresher. I did look into local(er) stores you suggested and I was surprised that the one I hadn’t check sells latex. There are also a few further out that do. I’m skeptical they will have what I’m looking for but I’ll certainly check.

If none of them have anything I like, I have it narrowed down to about 6 online members. I guess it’s just a matter of calling them and going with whom I’m most comfortable with overall. From what I’ve read on here they all seem to have a good track record and I’m comfortable I’ve done adequate research, or all I care to. I will also say that your membership list is very good, considering the other retailers I looked at online.

As far as the Frankenstein approach, I narrowed it down to one, which maybe isn’t really one. I like the idea of the base cozypure model because of the zoning with an additional topper of my choice. I say that because since they don’t say their toppers are talalay, I’m assuming they’re not. I thought about seeing if I could get the base model mattress in the mattress cover that accepts a 3" topper, without the topper.

I do have a couple last questions and then it’s up to me I guess. When I do a search of your website, like a manufacturer’s name, I know I’m not getting all the results, what am I doing wrong? Looking at the local stores, some of them are promoting zoned springs and dual springs specifically for problems like mine of my hips sinking. I’m heavily favoring latex, but what are your thoughts on them? One of the local stores also sells an airbed, which I probably wouldn’t consider but it has a 3" latex topper. Two of my friends have air mattresses and I slept great on the one, although I think my sleep habits have changed since. I read you’re not really fond of them, is that still the case? Lastly, my bed has a solid wood platform. Are slats on top of that the best bet or is there another material I could put on top of that to allow the mattress to breathe?

Sorry for all the questions. There’s just so much information out there and when I make a major purchase I try to do the best I can with my money. I hope to get this figured out soon, or I may need a break. When I do I will let you know what I go with and if I do go to any of the local retailers, I will mention you.

Hi rvw,

As you know there are many choices but I think highly of all of them. Each of them will help you choose the design that has the best chance of success for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences. After that it’s a matter of which one is the best “match” for you based on your personal value equation. In terms of quality or value there would really be no “mistakes” with any of them.

Their toppers are Dunlop.

I’m not sure why that’s happening but you may be using the wrong search window or your search may be using the default for the “find post from” setting of “a year ago” instead of “any date”. There’s more about searching the site or the forum under the help tab here.

Center zoning can certainly be useful for those where the pelvis sinks down too far or they need firmer support under the lumbar but they also need soft sections under the shoulders to “allow” the shoulders to sink in enough. As with any other design or theory … it always depends on the specifics of a particular mattress and on how well a mattress matches your body type and sleeping positions in terms of PPP. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here.

There are many versions of “dual springs” depending on the specifics and what they mean but once again the benefits will depend on how well the mattress as a whole matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP. Your own testing results are always more important than any “theory” or “story” that may benefit someone else but not you.

You can read my thoughts about airbeds in this article. Of course like anything else that doesn’t mean that some people won’t do well with them … but overall I am not a “fan” of airbeds.

You can see my thoughts about a solid platform in post #10 here and the bed rug it links to can reduce the risk of a non breathable support surface if the other risk factors seem to indicate it’s necessary.

Questions are a “good” thing and always welcome for a purchase as important as a mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing and of course any feedback you have the chance to share along the way.

Phoenix

Thanks, and I’ll certainly let you know what I decide.