Sleep Number beds/Natural Latex Mattresses in Chicago

My fiancée and I are seriously considering purchasing a Sleep Number bed. We realize that it is probably over-priced due to the company’s marketing, but it seems to have unique technology that enables the bed to adjust pressure and support depending on your position, which we love. It also has a new IQ feature that can apparently detail the quality of your sleep based on your movement patterns throughout the night. My fiancée has lower back issues and these beds also seem to be among the best for relieving pain, so that is a big plus for us as well. Almost everyone I have heard from who has had one of these beds loves them, but I have read a lot of negative reviews online. We are willing to overpay for the bed due to the technology it offers, but I worry about the quality of it. One specific thing we have read repeatedly is that the middle (where there is foam and not air) lacks support. Phoenix - I have gathered from reading these forum posts that you are not a fan of air beds, so I wanted to run this by you for any words of wisdom you have.

In my research, I have come to realize that a natural latex bed may also be a great fit for us. We love the idea of a more natural material and latex seems to rank highly in terms of quality, durability, and comfort. My biggest concern about latex is that it can be hot, and we are definitely looking for something that is cooler. I have found some online distributors with fair prices for such a product, but my fiancée will not agree to buy anything that she cannot test out first. I have struggled to find a store near the north side of Chicago where we can lay on a 100% natural latex bed. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi tsabes38,

You are certainly correct that I’m not a fan or airbeds (see this article) although there are always some people who may legitimately prefer them over other types of mattresses in spite of their weaknesses.

If you do decide to consider an airbed then post #3 here includes a list of many airbed manufacturers that may be worth considering rather than only looking at Sleep Number (I would tend to avoid the major manufacturers with any mattress purchase).

Latex is generally the most breathable and “coolest” of all the foam materials (polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam) but there are also many other variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress besides just the foam used (see post #2 here). None of the foam types will be as breathable or temperature regulating as natural fibers.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicagoland area are in posts #2 and #4 here.

Phoenix