Sleep on Latex?

Hi there,
I have been reading the forum pages here on and off for several years and have finally gotten to the point where I just need to ORDER a mattress already, our current mattress has to go! Thank you for all the amazing information shared here.

I am interested in a Sleep on Latex mattress= love the mattress topper I got for my son’s bed, and the lack of chemicals in our sleep environment and the feel of latex when I sleep on his mattress topper. I haven’t found a lot of information outside of SOL’s website- not many mentions on this site (though they are a membership company here, so I know you like them.)

I like the idea of many customizable layers as possible in the Flexus et co companies, but honestly that is WAY overwhelming- so the option to just buy a premade all latex mattress that is comfortable and quality for ~$1000 is very appealing. I just want to make sure people find them comfortable! You or any forum members have any feedback here? (or other companies I should check with good returns/exchange/warranty) before I pull the credit card out?) Thanks…

Hi Deenster,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) here on the forum as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you personally will feel on the same mattress or how “comfortable”, suitable, or how durable a mattress may be for you. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). Other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person, or whether or not it might be comfortable for you personally (see post #13 here). The Sleep On Latex mattress you’re considering certainly does use high quality and durable materials and is available in Soft, Medium or Firm.

As you’re considering something online and you can’t test a mattress in person, the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. At that time you can also find out about any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase.

You may wish to also use the expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. From this list, My Green Mattress, SleepEZ, Rocky Mountain Mattress, Dreamfoam, and Latex Mattress Factory all offer “simplified” latex mattresses that are more basic in configurations and in your price range. This list is of course by no means complete, but it will give you a good start of items to compare.

Phoenix

Thank you for your extensive knowledge and care in answering all the questions on this forum!

Here’s an update on our thought process- still haven’t bought anything:

So I first was convinced that an all-in-one mattress that just expands on taking it out of the box would be best, financially and for frustrations on arrival and figured that the companies you mentioned in my previous comment were all reputable and selling a quality product that is going to be head and shoulders better than our current mattress.

I read and reread more of the posts here and elsewhere, and started thinking maybe the multiple adjustable layers which include both Talalay and Dunlop Latex would allow more flexibility and possibly more comfort. (We are in Maine, not many options for actually TRYING these so I am only guessing from reading others remarks and experiences- and understanding those may or may not align with our own experience.) I called both SleepEZ and Flexus Comfort and had fine conversations that helped me feel more excited about the multilevel approach. I was concerned with the blended Talalay top layer at SleepEZ as I want a less chemical/synthetic mattress. The salesman helped me figure out that a glitch on the SleepEZ website puts the organic version (which I thought would be much more) was actually LESS than the “natural” version! They said they’d honor that price. Still the Flexus 10" is slightly cheaper. Both are on sale, and are creeping towards $1500.

My husband asks if I am getting caught up in the hype of the sales guys and the web info, and if we could stick to closer to $1K by going with a single layer 9" from a company such as Sleep on Latex and still be more comfortable than we are now.

Both SleepEZ and Flexus offer payment plan, so I argue we can have it all! Just spread out the payments a little more. I also wonder if we go with one of the single layer bed-in-a-box options if most people end up getting additional latex topper, bringing the price up to almost the same… ?

Thoughts? Thank you.

Hi Deenster,

You’re very welcome.

If you’re able to provide your zip code I can see if I am aware of any better brick and mortar options in your area.

Both SleepEZ ad Flexus are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I’m happy they were both helpful to you.

Any version of latex (Dunlop or Talalay made from natural or synthetic latex or a blend of both) is a safe material and they are normally all tested for harmful substances and VOC’s with the same or similar testing protocols (Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut). Post #2 here and the posts it links to talks more about testing form VOCs and harmful substances.

You can see more information about SBR and NR rubber in post #2 here. You can also read more about synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex in post #2 here and there is more about natural rubber and synthetic rubber in post #2 here.

Both synthetic latex and natural latex are equally “rubber” or “latex” except natural latex is primarily isoprene rubber that comes from a tree (which can also be synthesized) and synthetic latex in the case of latex mattresses is made from Styrene Butadiene rubber (or SBR). Both natural and synthetic rubber are stable and inert materials when they are cured. This is similar to tires which also uses various blends of synthetic and natural rubber depending on the specific qualities that the tire manufacturer is looking for. Both natural and synthetic rubber used in mattresses … unlike tires … is foamed rubber which means that there are several other compounds that are needed in addition to the rubber to make the foamed latex core. These include curing agents, gelling agents, antioxidants, mold release agents, and other compounds that are used to make both natural and synthetic foamed rubber. These also become inert when the latex is cured or in some cases are washed out when the latex is washed after manufacturing (which also removes the excess proteins that can be a cause of latex allergies in 100% natural latex) which is why both 100% natural and blended latex will both pass the same safety testing for VOC’s and harmful ingredients, such as Oeko-Tex standard 100, and I personally would have no concerns with the safety of a natural or blended latex.

Yes, both are comparable in pricing. The Flexus 10" queen in their Organic line (all layers 100% NR GOLS certified Dunlop) is currently $1750. Their cover uses GOTS certified cotton and natural wool. The SleepEZ queen Select Sleep 10" Organic line (all layers 100% NR GOLS certified Dunlop) is currently $1795.00, and includes a free sheet set and two free pillows. Their cover is GOTS certified cotton with GOTS certified wool. Both mattress uses good quality and durable materials.

I don’t think you’re falling for any “hype”, as the companies you’re considering represent some of the best latex values in the industry, IMHO. And while I can’t speak to whether or not a more basic latex item would be comfortable for you, there are options from the site members listed in post #21 here, and others online, who make more basic or non-configurable latex mattresses. A 9" mattress would have multiple layers on the inside (latex is generally poured in 6" thicknesses), but if they’re laminated together without a zippered cover, the price of the mattress can often be brought down as compared to a configurable system.

That really would be quite variable, with no clear answer regarding how many people purchase toppers down the road, but you are correct that the addition of a topper can bring the price up to that of a component system sing similar overall amounts of material. Most of the simplified choice mattresses use polyfoam cores, so that would also be a difference in quality and durability compared to the SleepEZ and Flexus all-latex models you are considering.

Phoenix

Could you point me to a place where you discuss latex/pocket coils a la Mattresses.net? This offers a bit less price point- all I can think of is the pointy metal coils sticking out of my grandmother’s guest beds… but I know that is not what we’re talking about here. :slight_smile:

I have designed built & sold all latex and Marshal coil (pocket coil) with latex beds for over twenty years. In my experience most people prefer the fell of the latex/Marshal coil to all latex. This combination out sells all latex 20 to 1 in my market. Most people come in asking for all latex. I always like them to try a latex/Marshal coil combination. Most people after trying it, prefer it. Forget what you think you know about springs. These latest generation Marshal coils are so comfortable that you can literally sleep on them without any other padding. Companies like Leggett & Platt and HSM at resent trade shows have displayed mattresses made from all springs. Even tiny nano coils attached to the top fabric. These mattresses really feel incredible. That I am aware of no one is marketing an all spring bed yet. Mostly because the public still equates the work spring to a 80 year old Bonnel design. These new Marshal coils are not your grandma’s springs. I would encourage anyone shopping for a mattress to try a Marshal coil spring system in combination with micro/nano coils. These can be topped with latex or just cotton and or wool for a natural mattress. They can also be topped with poly foam for a lower cost mattress. The advantage to this design is steel springs are more durable then latex, memory foam, or poly foam. You can use a very small amount of foam (the week link in most mattresses) and get a great feel.

Hi Deenster,

I’ll add a bit to Beloit’s comments here (thanks Beloit Mattress Guy!).

There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article, in post #10 here and in post #16 here. I would pay the most attention to your own careful and objective testing which will tell you how the innerspring performs in combination with the other layers and materials in a mattress (versus using a latex core) and to the quality of the materials above the innerspring which is normally the weakest link in a mattress. You certainly can find a comfortable combination using springs or latex.

Post #28 has quite a bit of detail between using innerspring versus latex for a support core. Both will be very durable choices and in general wouldn’t be the weak link within a mattress, and the choice to use one over the other would be made as part of your own personal value equation.

You’re correct that the “old springs” that most of us were familiar with were the old Bonnell springs, and over time the cotton in those old mattresses would pack down into the center of those springs and then the springs would make their way through the top fabric, and they were not very comfortable. The newer Marshall (pocketed) springs do conform much more to your body than these old spring units, and mattresses like the EOS line from Naturepedic can be had with no foams on the inside – just springs. Whether or not you would find this comfortable would be from a result of your own personal testing, but there’s more of these pocketed spring units being offered in the Simplified Choice and Component-style mattress category, as these spring units are now easier to compress and ship with the new spring-reinforced edge stem that is replacing the polyfoam encasement for edge support.

Hopefully that information is helpful to you. If you have more specific questions, I’ll be happy to do my best to answer them

Phoenix

Great info!!! Thanks so much

Hi lacerum.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:
Glad to be of help!
Phoenix